Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: False neutrals on LC  (Read 1588 times)

Offline plaky

False neutrals on LC
« on: February 13, 2015, 12:50:55 pm »
Hi All, I have been having a few false neutrals in the last while on my newish Sept 2014 LC, I have now done 6000km. I contacted Donford Stellenbosch and Eugene came back to me and said as follow below. Just a heads up for you all if you are having the same problem. I know of a few WD that are experiencing this, so mine is not isolated.

Thank you for mail,
There is no issue regarding false neutral on the LC.
What we have found before is that the boots the riders wear can influence the shift.
We need to look and see if your gear lever is adjusted correctly for easy shift up. There is also adaptations that can be set for the ECU to learn the gear positions. Clutch operation also needs to be checked.
The gear shift assist does help for easy shifting as the engine cuts power/torque when the gear lever is shifted. The mechanical operation of the gear shift still stays exactly the same.
Your concern is noted and we need to get your bike inn to assess.

Let us know if there are any comments.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:07:16 pm by plaky »

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: False neutrals on LC
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:57:52 pm »
I am also experiencing some false neutrals, and also with the gear assist, the bike not always gears up, especially from 2nd to 3rd, resulting in the bike jerking forward, but remaining in 2nd

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 01:04:39 pm »
Ja nee. Nou het ek al alles gehoor.

Op 'n heeltemal onverwante onderwerp, wanneer is Dan se skorsing verby?
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 01:20:17 pm »

Wat sou jy daarmee bedoel ?

Offline JohnB

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 02:27:23 pm »
Het n F650 besit, ook phantom neutrals gekry. Het iewers gelees die ketting se spanning kan dit veroorsaak.

Mens klink soos n moegoe as jy ry en skielik rev jy die ding in die rooi  :lol8:
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Offline JohnB

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 02:38:16 pm »
Sien nou eers wat jy ry.. ignore dan maar die ketting comment  :-[
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 02:40:19 pm »
Maybe you are not riding with BMW boots ................. be careful, you may get warranty issues because of that ............ :pot: :lol8:
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:01 pm »
Maybe you are not riding with BMW boots ................. be careful, you may get warranty issues because of that ............ :pot: :lol8:

Not all that funny.  I ride with BMW boots.   The LC is very sensitive to top hingste gear lever prior to the next shift.  It must be completely released (as any bike,  but LC more sensjtive).  Due to a broke foot many years ago,  I have to adjust my gear lever down on any bike I buy,  so the adjustment is 2nd nature for me.   First thing I do when I arrive home with a new bike.   Ja...  ja...  so what,  the detractors howl.

As you know,  my wife and I have identical LC's.   I have done the false neutral on her bike.  Never on mine.   She never gets false neutrals on her bike.   It may well be the gear lever position.

That being said,  I do not much like the LC gearbox and in the year 2014, IMHO,  any manufacturer should be able to build it fool proof,  or boot proof if you prefer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:57:14 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Oupa Foe-rie

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Oom Foe-rie was hacked by a Mod.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 03:09:47 pm »

Not all that funny.  I ride with BMW boots.   The LC is very sensitive to top hingste gear lever prior to the next shift.  It must be completely released (as any bike,  but LC more sensjtive).  Due to a broke foot many years ago,  I have to adjust my gear lever down on any bike I buy,  so the adjustment is 2nd nature for me.   First thing I do when I arrive home with a new bike.   Ja...  ja...  so what,  the detractors howl.

As you know,  my wife and I have identical LC's.   I have done the false neutral on her bike.  Never on mine.   She never gets false neutrals on her bike.   It may well be the gear lever position.

That being said,  I do not much like the LC gearbox and in the year 2014, IMHO,  any manufacturer should be able to build it fool proof,  or boot proof if you prefer.

Oh yeah .............. now I understand ............... It's not a boot fault, it's a bike fault ...............  :peepwall: :ricky:
Yamaha XT1200Z ........... Take your soul everywhere and back

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 04:56:09 pm »

Oh yeah .............. now I understand ............... It's not a boot fault, it's a bike fault ...............  :peepwall: :ricky:

Mielies - - - - >  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 04:56:36 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
Re: Re: False neutrals on LC
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 08:47:00 am »

Op 'n heeltemal onverwante onderwerp, wanneer is Dan se skorsing verby?
Ietwat oor 'n maand

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline GS12

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »
Old thread but as a matter of intrest there is a program udate that takes care of this problem...ask your dealer...

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 05:11:55 pm »
Old thread but as a matter of intrest there is a program udate that takes care of this problem...ask your dealer...
A software update to overcome a mechanical gear shift issue? Or is the software update related to the GSAP? And if so, that would probably not help for non-GSAP related false neutrals I guess?

Offline T Rex

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 05:16:22 pm »
Thanks for the info .... , no problems on this side , with or without the quickshifter.

Offline GS12

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 08:40:51 pm »
A software update to overcome a mechanical gear shift issue? Or is the software update related to the GSAP? And if so, that would probably not help for non-GSAP related false neutrals I guess?
my 2015 has had no issues, my mates 2014 did and post the update its now sorted, both non GSAP, dont know how or what but it sorts the problem described above...

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 09:10:35 pm »
I have not owned a bike that has no false neutrals when I don't shift properly

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 10:29:06 pm »

+1

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 10:31:30 pm »

+1
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline TheBear

• Stalin was 'n sissy.
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 10:26:47 am »

It seems what this bit of magic does for you is, the moment you touch the clutch, the ECU retards the timing, enabling a smoother shift.  My bike will receive this today, so I will report back tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed the RIDE!   :thumleft:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 10:28:57 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline OomD

• #imstayingpositive
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 10:37:40 am »

It seems what this bit of magic does for you is, the moment you touch the clutch, the ECU retards the timing, enabling a smoother shift.  My bike will receive this today, so I will report back tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed the RIDE!   :thumleft:
Great seeing you again at Bavarian this morning. I look forward to hearing how this update improves/changes the gearshifts.  :thumleft: