Advice needed - F700GS or R1200GS for newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henardt

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I am a completely new rider wanting to buy my first bike.  I am consider the BMW F700GS or the R1200GS.  I will be using the bike mostly on tar-roads for weekend riding, with some easy-going gravel roads now and then while I am still learning. I'll not be carrying a pillion for the foreseeable future, as I need to feel very comfortable with my own skills first before taking anyone else along.

To be honest, I would like to eventually end up with the R1200GS, but I am not sure that I should start there.  I'm (1.9m, 100kg) tall enough to flat-foot the 1200, and it feels really comfortable when I'm sitting on it.

Yet, my friends and anonymous internet strangers seem to consider that the F700GS might be a better start.  It's not as heavy as the 1200, turns easier, less powerful (not normally ideal, but perhaps ideal for a newbie?), and there's generally far less damage when it falls over (which I'm lead to believe is bound to happen during the first year).  I've heard some horror stories about expensive-to-repair damage to engine parts on dropped 1200's ... And, of course, considering the weight of both, it should be easier to pick up a fallen-over 700GS.

I would be buying a pre-owned 2012 + model of either, and as I still have to buy the riding gear as well, the F700 will be a cheaper option, which is also a major factor.

I have spoken to some salesmen, and they have generally pushed me towards the 1200, but that might just be because it's a more expensive bike on which they'd get more commission ...

I'd appreciate your input and advice!

Thanks.