Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Who offers the best deal on a new LC  (Read 4511 times)

Offline gs.rider

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: Who offers the best deal on a new LC
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 04:32:17 pm »
Thanks for all the advice gents.

I phoned around a bit. Generally the best discount on a cash deal was bout 3%. Lyndhurst offered me a few extra bucks off on a bike the dealership bought out as dealer stock just before a resent price increase. Not much better but I suppose every cent counts.

Hope to get it tomorrow. Yhat!!  :laughing4:

Now to start looking at a few farkles:
1. Light protector
2. Crash bar
3. Mounting plate for my trax top box

Any other "essentials" you will recommend?

I have Rockfox crashbars, headlight protector with an orange insert to cover the daytime running light, radiator protector guard and wider foot pegs. Their prices are really good and quality is great. Go and check their website out as they are Cape Town based and can courier up to you. They also have agents in Jhb. This could be an  excuse to ride your bike to Cape Town. Let me know if you need anymore details.

Thanks Plaky. Just had a look at the Rockfox website. Looks like good quality at good prices. Will definitely consider them.

Offline gs.rider

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 04:36:26 pm »

I phoned around a bit. Generally the best discount on a cash deal was bout 3%. Lyndhurst offered me a few extra bucks off on a bike the dealership bought out as dealer stock just before a resent price increase. Not much better but I suppose every cent counts.

Hope to get it tomorrow. Yhat!!  :laughing4:

1. Light protector
2. Crash bar

Cylinder Head covers , saw the importance thereof this morning.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=169477.0

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=169479.0

Eeesch... Not nice. Specially not if it leaves you stranded. Do you thing crash bars alone would have prevented this to happen? Or do you need the covers also?

Offline gs.rider

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2015, 04:40:04 pm »
radiator guards help keep off all the junk.Got wild @ heart on mine

Thanks BLK. You have no issues with overheating? I saw some reports from guys claiming that some of the radiator guards can lead to overheating?

Offline gs.rider

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2015, 04:53:00 pm »
So where are the pics?! :snorting:

Haha. I thought you never ask  :laughing4:

Got it at bout lunch time on Friday. First stop at gps4africa to get a mounting plate for my trax top box. Went back to the office and then got caught in the rain later on my way home in peak Friday afternoon traffic on the M1. I was still very nervous with the new bike so was not a happy chappy I promise you  :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah:

Anyway, couldnt ride much over the weekend. Have a total of bout 140km on the clock now. Supper happy this far. I am most surprised by how different (read BETTER) it handles and ride compared to my 2007 model. Feels sooooo light. Only thing that bugs me a little at the moment is that the gears are scratching when it starts getting hot. Will drop by BMW tomorrow. Hope it is only an adjustment on the clutch. Any of you had experience with this?

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2015, 09:38:38 pm »
Congrats! Super acceleration on the LC - that's most probably why it feels so light. Are those Anakee 3's? They stick very well in wet, so nothing to worry about.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Jondu

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 10:32:37 pm »
My gat juk darm self

Offline T Rex

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 06:22:12 am »
So where are the pics?! :snorting:

Haha. I thought you never ask  :laughing4:

Got it at bout lunch time on Friday. First stop at gps4africa to get a mounting plate for my trax top box. Went back to the office and then got caught in the rain later on my way home in peak Friday afternoon traffic on the M1. I was still very nervous with the new bike so was not a happy chappy I promise you  :xxbah: :xxbah: :xxbah:

Anyway, couldnt ride much over the weekend. Have a total of bout 140km on the clock now. Supper happy this far. I am most surprised by how different (read BETTER) it handles and ride compared to my 2007 model. Feels sooooo light. Only thing that bugs me a little at the moment is that the gears are scratching when it starts getting hot. Will drop by BMW tomorrow. Hope it is only an adjustment on the clutch. Any of you had experience with this?

Enjoy the bike , I also was a bit conserned about the gears on the GSA ....( compared to my 2012 GSA) . Felt a bit rough and stiff. I also took it back , they said its fine. Maybe I am getting used to it , but after a 1000 km it's feeling better.   ???

Offline gs.rider

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 08:34:10 pm »
Congrats! Super acceleration on the LC - that's most probably why it feels so light. Are those Anakee 3's? They stick very well in wet, so nothing to worry about.

Yes, I must admit, the acceleration is amasing!  :laughing4:

But for me it is also on how it "feels". It really handles light. Almost like a 650 (even if you dont accelerate).

It was not rain or sliping that freaked me out as much as how the cagers drive when it gets wet....scary!

Offline gs.rider

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 08:48:46 pm »
My gat juk darm self

Jy sal nie spyt wees Jondu. Ek het lank ge-him en ha. Toe byt die gogga my oordentlik. En ek is bly hy het.  :biggrin:

Offline brettp

• Blue boss.....
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 10:17:58 am »
lekker bike, ride safe....
He who dies with the most toys, wins !!!!!

Offline plaky

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 01:23:18 pm »

Hope to get it tomorrow. Yhat!!  :laughing4:

1. Light protector
2. Crash bar

I have Rockfox crashbars, headlight protector with an orange insert to cover the daytime running light, radiator protector guard and wider foot pegs. Their prices are really good and quality is great. Go and check their website out as they are Cape Town based and can courier up to you. They also have agents in Jhb. This could be an  excuse to ride your bike to Cape Town. Let me know if you need anymore details.

Thanks Plaky. Just had a look at the Rockfox website. Looks like good quality at good prices. Will definitely consider them.

Pleasure, I have the whole bang shoot from Rockfox as I had the first LC from Donford and they used my bike as a template for everything. I made suggestions as well which they listened to. Mike is a great guy. I have the radiator protectors and have done some hot dirt riding in 40 deg temp and no overheating. My biggest fear is a stone going into the grill and breaking a pipe! The quality is really good and do not have engine protectors as I believe the crash bars will take almost all of the hit as I have the top and bottom bars and the bars with the bike on its side will stop the motor scratching on the ground. If the force is such that it bends the bards the cover will help shit! The only accessory I don't have is their bash plate. Yes I did pay for 90% of what I got from them so this was not a freebee for me. My headlight cover has the orange strip in it, which incidentally was one of my ideas. Value for money you cannot beat them. He exports to US as well now, which says a lot. Let us know what you finally decide on.

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 11:10:04 pm »
Here is a thought

Crashbars is thought to create a pivot point which causes damage around cluster area and expensive body panels.
If you do most of your riding off road then maybe it is justified. If your bike is insured your excess is bound to be less than the cost of the crashbars...
In a crash with bars fitted you are bound to have to replace some of these bars

I have since 2008 when I purchased my first GS never fitted crashbars.

Offline paulb

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 04:36:12 am »
Geluk , niks ruik so lekker as n splinter nuwe bike  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Online windswept

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 04:27:35 pm »
While up in Gauteng, I saw the base model 1200GS at BMW Secunda. It's going for about R165k. Has anyone bought one yet? Without the electronic suspension will it handle as well on dirt as the full-house GS?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »
While up in Gauteng, I saw the base model 1200GS at BMW Secunda. It's going for about R165k. Has anyone bought one yet? Without the electronic suspension will it handle as well on dirt as the full-house GS?
GS or GSA?
I was quoted R168 000 last week for the base model GSA LC.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline gs.rider

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 04:40:18 pm »
To be honest for me personally it is not a must have. Then again this far I have done mostly tar so cannot comment on off road. I have played around a few times with the soft, medium and hard settings and could not feel any significant change. Now I just leave it in soft.

And I can only compare to my previous 2007 model GS which obviously did not have the electronic suspension.

I suppose it will depend heavily on what you want to use it for. Im sure the guys doing a lot of off road will have a different opinion than me.

Online windswept

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2015, 05:32:06 pm »
Chris, this was the GS. That price you have does sound low, but if true buy it now! Which dealer?

gs.rider, I do have ESA on my 2011 GS, and hardly ever use it, except when having my kit tied on. I am not the tallest guy around, so have only used high mountain maybe ten times since I've had the boney. I did have a 1150 GS for eleven years and managed without ESA.

Offline nielvn

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 09:21:18 pm »
Here is a thought

Crashbars is thought to create a pivot point which causes damage around cluster area and expensive body panels.
If you do most of your riding off road then maybe it is justified. If your bike is insured your excess is bound to be less than the cost of the crashbars...
In a crash with bars fitted you are bound to have to replace some of these bars

I have since 2008 when I purchased my first GS never fitted crashbars.

Respectfully i differ, if i had the correct crashbars and cylinder head prptectors on during my fall last year august, i would have from the scene, rather than having the bike trailered from the scene.

Online windswept

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2015, 03:34:28 pm »

:sip: