Strobe Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbk

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So Monday morning splitting traffic with my newfound initiative with strobing bicycle lights attached to Donfords loaner and jeez did this work with a very visible reaction from car drivers giving the little bit of extra width between lanes. So I passed a couple of metro cop cars without any issue. Then close yo Century City I pass a Cape Town Traffics finest in a marked car. Now I am curious to see what the officer does....
It took him about 5 seconds to consider what he just saw..,
And then he springs into action with him giving chase with all the blazing lights and sirens available in his considerable arsenal. So without any hesitation I pull off onto the right shoulder opposite Ysterplaat AB.
Officer- what is that? Pointing at still strobing lights? Can I see your drivers license and and and this temporary registration permit on the back of the bike?  Said officer's eyes are shielded from the bright sunlight with Ray Ban Aviators, on his hip is a 9 mm pistol and in his non gesturing hand he has a walkie talkie
Me:- being perplexed and in my very best non antagonizing way I answer the following:
Those are bicycle lights sir
Here is my drivers license sir
It is not my motorcycle sir, it is Donfords bike and I believe it is a legal temporary registration permit which has been reinforced with sellotape and screw fixed in two places with these plastic screws, sir!
Officer: those lights are illegal now talking also to line managers on his WT. Remove the TRP so that I can read what it says
Me: checking in bikes tool kit for screw driver, sorry sir no screw driver
Maybe you have one in you patrol vehicle?
Officer: No I do'nt have onebut let me use my house yale key
Me: with TO on his knees trying to unscrew these pesky plastic screws- sensing some discomfort from the TO trying very hard to remain composed- eventually after struggling for what felt like 5 min. Sweat pouring down his temples he manages to undo the TRP and is now able to verify the authenticity of TRP.
Me: all in order officer?
Officer: Yes all seems ok
Me: Could you please refit the TRP?as it would be against the law to ride without it
Officerback on knees re-fixing  with house key..... Struggling a lot....
Officer: you may not have those flashing lights, did you fit them?
Me: yes sir I did why may I not have those lights sir?
Officer: it is against the traffic act- one may not have blue, red and amber flashing lights- also not white ones
Me: most cyclists ride with them to make sure they are seen on the road, so I am doing the same
Officer: bicycles are different...
Me: i realize motorcycles are different to bicycles, however they must sure obey the same rules?
Officer: flashing lights are against the law
Me: may bicycles use the flashing light on the road?
Officer: Yes
Today I will let you off with a warning
Me: Smiling thank you sir and have a nice day!!
Officer: with that look of WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

Latest posts