Robertson enduro Saturday 14 March 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLUTO

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Saturday past a group of us went out to assist with route marking for the Robertson enduro.  The venue is some 40 kays after Robertson, on the way to Mcgregor.  You turn left into the farm called “ Benni’s se Lapa’ and wind your way to the field next to the fruit orchard.  Some people will know this venue; it has been used for enduro’s and offroad’s in the past.

One side of the farm is ‘flatter’ than the other side.  Without giving too much away, this Saturday’s course will see the introduction of a Sliver and Gold loop; the idea being for riders new to enduro to have a slightly easier route on certain sections.  No matter which loop you enter, you will be required to ride some climbs, some sand, some single track, some river bed, some loose rocky sections. 

Gold loop riders can look forward to a great uphill riverbed with two step-ups to test those technical skills, and both Gold and Silver will be routed through ‘ Dry Gulch Canyon ’, a flowing downhill riverbed section that looks a scene from a John Wayne movie; you know the place where the Indians corral the stolen horses?  Like that. 

If you are not too much in a hurry, take a breather at the top of the first climb out the pits (some may need a breather – ha ha ha), and you will be greeted with spectacular views over the Robertson/Mcgregor valley.  The area is pristine, with beautiful vynbos flanking the trail; one is truly privileged  to ride such terrain. 

This is a Motorsport SA sanctioned event, so a MSA Licence is mandatory.  However, one can purchase a One Day Licence; there is still time to enter and get a licence.  In addition to the Silver Route, there is Social Class, which is 2 hours riding, instead of 3 hours.  It is going to be hot, and for those not-so-fit, just remember to bring lots of water to drink and do Social Silver. 

As far as bikes are concerned, I don’t know the technical capacity of a dual sport bike?  My experience with Adventure Bikes is limited to accompanying some on my plastic on the Old Postal Route ride last year.  There is a very rocky twee-spoor section on the Old Postal Route that drops down into the Doring River.  Some of the route on Saturday coming will be rocky like that, but a bit steeper.  And a couple of sandy patches like one encounters just before crossing the Doring. 

I need some help here … maybe one could ride Silver loop Social 2 hrs on a 690 type bike and finish?  Anything bigger than that I think you gonna struggle?  Definitely plastic bike with a radiator fan for Gold 3 hours. 

Racing starts at 10am.  It’s under 2 hours drive in a cage to the venue – visitors and spectators are most welcome.  Benni’s se Lapa features farm-style borrie rolls and ice cold refreshments. 

You can view regulations and enter on www.racecontrol.co.za .

Enjoy!