Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I now feel for Cagers, seriously...  (Read 2163 times)

Online zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
I now feel for Cagers, seriously...
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:20:33 pm »
On the N1 this morning, being driven, I observed the FOUR lanes ahead of me, and the resulting THREE white dotted lines, separating each lane..

There were bikers doing the following...
1. Lane splitting correctly (IMO) between the overtaking lane and the 'driving' lane....
2. Lane splitting dangerously - my opinion - between the driving lane and the slowER lane...
3. Lane splitting dangerously - my opinion - between the slowER lane and the slowEST lane...

So there were bikes whizzing past in three 'lanesplitting' lanes, little wonder the poor Cagers were PROPERLY confused...

Another example, I traverse Kloof Nek daily returning from work to Houties...
Motorbikes overtake/lane split carefully between the traffic (1 lane each way), whereas slower scooters, and I UNDERSTAND their thinking, feel they are slower than cars MOVING, but faster than cars CRAWLING, so they pass - lots of them, on the LEFT!

As a bike-aware driver, I try to move over for the bikes coming past, yet nearly collide with a scooter!!!

Time for a National re-think, re-education, awareness campaign?
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:21:52 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: I now feel for Cagers, seriously...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 07:30:10 pm »

Time for a National re-think, re-education, awareness campaign?
Thoughts?

After some involvement over the past few years in an awareness campaign,  I fear South Africans,  in general cannot be educated.   You may want to differ from me, but just start the suicide lane versus virtual biker lane discussion here and see what I mean.

Some guys from Think Bike are busy with a nice initiative up here in GP.    They group up,  8 or so together and then ride the N1 northbound splitting responsibly,  saying thank you,  etc.  The will do this every Monday for a few months.   At the same time they position a Think Bike banner off a bridge,  over the virtual biker lane.  

Today,  the guys at Byers Naude counted bikes in the suicide lane versus those in the virtual bikers lane.  Scary figure of 5 in SL virus 1 in VBL.   That is 5:1!!.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:55:37 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline whitedelight

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:40:57 pm »
That N1 is a nightmare for bikers and caters alike. I would never want to commute on that road,whether on a bike or in a car.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 09:39:56 pm »
What's with the shouting in the posts?

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 07:42:58 am »
What's with the shouting in the posts?
I disagree with you there, Garfield.

...Caps used ONLY to make a point clearer - no problem there, surely?

6 words in 100+ words - that's not shouting?!
Cheers
Chris

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:48:04 am by zebra - Flying Brick »

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Dux

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:09:24 am »
Whether we care to admit it or not is a fact that there are a lot of bikers out there that give the rest of us a bad reputation , by that I am referring to those that shout and swear at motorists who haven't given them a gap fast enough , the type that rev the crap out of their bikes when they don't get their way , or when they hit mirrors or kick cars for the same reasons . There are a bunch of pricks out there who don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves , and that is just ever so unfortunate for the rest of us .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Lem

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 08:18:00 am »
Zebra, you left out the odd idiot in the emergency lane
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Buddy

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 08:31:13 am »
Let me not start about all those idjuts out there that will quite willingly blind all and sundry coming in the opposite direction with their myriad high intensity spotlights mounted on their bike, but will gesticulate and swear if you hit them with bright lights - must be a small penis syndrome.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 08:38:32 am »

Odd idiot?

Think Bike counted on the N1 North between Beyers Naude and Rivonia yesterday.  In about 2 hours the count was 200 in the emergency lane and 40 in the biker lane.

They counted the N3 today.  Much better as only 3 out of 41 rode in the emergency lane.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Tp007

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 09:25:12 am »

Odd idiot?

Think Bike counted on the N1 North between Beyers Naude and Rivonia yesterday.  In about 2 hours the count was 200 in the emergency lane and 40 in the biker lane.

They counted the N3 today.  Much better as only 3 out of 41 rode in the emergency lane.
Reason for the N3 being less is that the SL is much more narrow...

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 09:26:36 am »
]Reason for the N3 being less is that the SL is much more narrow...

Darn!  I was hoping us Easterners were just more intelligent!   :ricky:
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline ROOI

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • XR650R YZ 250 2t WR AKA Red Rider
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 09:29:03 am »

Odd idiot?

Think Bike counted on the N1 North between Beyers Naude and Rivonia yesterday.  In about 2 hours the count was 200 in the emergency lane and 40 in the biker lane.

They counted the N3 today.  Much better as only 3 out of 41 rode in the emergency lane.
I do not commute on the N1 regularly but sometimes have to ,can u pls tell me witch lane is the Virtual bikers lane ?
FTS

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 09:35:26 am »

I do not commute on the N1 regularly but sometimes have to ,can u pls tell me witch lane is the Virtual bikers lane ?

It is the left side of the far right lane.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline plaky

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 10:00:35 am »
As a biker who commutes on the N1 every day in Cape Town, no matter the weather I would like to comment on some of what has been said in all the threads. I am a considerate rider.
1. Their is no such lane a biker lane. A motor bike may split in any lane on either side of a vehicle from the right Lane to the left lane. This comes from the cops themselves.
2. I rev(blip) sometimes to make the cars aware that I am there if I see them creeping into my lane, it is better than hooting. 9 out of 10 times they are on their phones. I have an issue if someone revs their bikes into the rev limiter if not been given space quick enough.
3. My lights in the day are on bight's as it works for me in the traffic, I have tried both. I want to be seen.
4. Cape Town cagers seem to be getting better on the N1 these days and their seems to be more awareness, especially with all the bike accidents of late.
5. I thank every single car that I see that tries to make space for me and this includes the taxi's who are great here.
6. Very few bikes use the emergency lane on N1 as we have the Ghost squad guys and Ossifer Gouws, who by the way I heard rides a bike and should fine himself as to the ay he rides!
7. Our lives as bikers would be 200% better if they banned cell phones in the car as 90% of all my  =near misses has to do with someone on a cell phone. Their is the odd person that drives like a twatwaffle as they believe that they can!
8. You will always get the bikers who don't give a shit and unfortunately there is nothing we can about them, until they see their arse. That is just how it is. I know that I am not one of them.
No capital shouting just my thoughts.

Online TheBear

• KilRoy die haas!
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 11:10:47 am »
As a biker who commutes on the N1 every day in Cape Town, no matter the weather I would like to comment on some of what has been said in all the threads. I am a considerate rider.
1. Their is no such lane a biker lane. A motor bike may split in any lane on either side of a vehicle from the right Lane to the left lane. This comes from the cops themselves.

First thing is the cops do not make the law and I would be careful to take their word on anything.  There is, in fact, no law that describes lane splitting as such.

You are correct though, there is no official bikers lane, therefore I used the words "virtual biker lane".   It would make a heck of a lot of sense if bikers used only one space to split in the highways as this will condition cagers and bikers alike to expect each other in the same place all the time.  We have worked hard at creating such a virtual bikers lane in and around Gauteng and it works extremely well.   Any Capetonian who drives, or rides here always makes comment on how easy it is for bikers when they ride in the virtual biker lane.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:12:56 am by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Airguitar

• The bald and the beautiful
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • My name is Derek.
    • Derek Herbst
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 09:11:51 pm »
I don't like to ride on freeways, however it is sometimes the safer, or more expedient option.
Lane splitting to me is a thing that I do at my own risk. I do not expect drivers in cages to make way for me should I choose to split lanes, however I always express thanks with a thumb up for those who do. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO DO IT.

I do believe that a licenced, road legal motorcycle has absolute equal right as any other legal vehicle on a public road. No more, no less.
When I DO operate on the margins, or indeed over the margins of legality, I am highly, acutely aware that now I am operating in the bounds of my own risk, as well as the potential risk to those around me. At these times I fully accept responsibility for what may come as a reult of taking these risks. I think that we "Bikers" need to be able to man up to the shit we cause on the roads, as and when it happens.

We do move at paces through the traffic unmatched by our caging counterparts. One thing at the fromt of my mind is that a driver of a car spends 95% of the time looking forward, and not backwards. The 5% they do spend looking over their shoulders or in their mirrors offers them a very limited perspective of what's going on behind them. Field of view, blind spots, times pan etc, all factor in here. It's the very reason why the law is inclined to side against any offender from behind, as they have a better opportunity to see and anticipate events ahead of themselves than the one relying on rear view for situational awareness.

All this taken into account I tend to be cautious when lane splitting, and only do it in stationary or VERY slow-moving traffic rather than at speed on a freeway or open road with multiple lanes. I tend to ride as though I'm the only person on the road who knows I'm there..
1988 XR600R, 2014 Triumph Tiger 800XC. Volvo XC90. Yes I drive a Volvo. No, I don't care what you think.

Offline T Rex

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 02:37:19 am »
 :sip:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 05:34:43 am »
Zebra, I respectfully disagree with you regarding the "correct" lane to split.
Check with your local traffic authorities for stats.
In Gauteng, over 80% of rear-end collisions on the highways occur in the two right hand lanes!
(I used to work for Gauteng Dept. Transport)

The cagers all try get into the "fast" lane and stop thinking.
They take any gap in the right lane without indicating.
Suddenly there is a holdup and they are too busy talking on the cell
shaving or fixing their make-up and they ram the car in front of them.
Even worse, they try to avoid the collision by swerving left or right into emergency zones.

Is that REALLY where you want to be lane-splitting...
between the two lanes with 80% of accidents?

If the traffic is bumper to bumper and creeping, it may be safe,
but in moving traffic... no thank you!

I ride in the LEFT lane - where nobody wants to be.
Lots of trucks and bakkies with long open spaces in between.
I ride in line with the RH tyres of cagers, just where they can see me in their rear and side mirrors.
I pace my ride so that I can move into the second lane at slightly higher than traffic speed well before I get to that truck.
I make good use of my indicators and have always found the cagers happy to ease over a little in the second lane to let me pass.

Where I live and commute, the SLOW lane is the fast lane.  Most certainly it is the SAFE lane.
If there is an emergency (like a sudden puncture) there is the left side emergency lane immediately accessible to you
to run off into, without having to dodge between cars all trying to do 2km/hr more than the guy next to them...

Every week in Gauteng, one or two bikers go down in traffic on our toll highways.
I put it to you that most of them were riding and lane-splitting between the two right lanes.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 06:41:57 am »
Fudmucker, good points, all round.
I visit JHB 3 or 4 x per year, seeing suppliers, etc, it is a different 'animal' to CT; not better, not worse, just different. ( as far as both general traffic volumes, and the way bikes ride - to see a bike in the emergency lane here is surprising, whereas on the ring road it is the norm).

I've seen people move over to the slow lane, specifically to text or take a phone call, so my experience is different..., I'd rather be where faster drivers mostly make more decisive decisions/want to get somewhere, but I hear you...

I guess where we may agree is that IF bikes are lane-splitting, then it would be good to have Cagers to have some idea where to EXPECT them, and bikes on all 3 white lines is just not right, rather a 'train' of bikes carefully and responsibly following each other past slow / standing traffic.

Cheers!
Chris

S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline Francois marais

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 07:18:33 am »
Saw a bloke on a bike yesterday on Lynnwood Road Pretoria.
Rudest person I have seen on a bike in a very long time.
Guy was lane splitting while traffic was doing 80 km/h. When people were moving to slow (70 km/h) he decided to use the yellow lane to overtake cars, swerving infront of them.
I caught up with him at a red light, light just turned red, tried to get his attention, but he just ignored me.
I had my phone on GPS mode, so snapped a pick of the (choose your own curse word here)
Reg: DN36MB GP.
If you are the owner of this bike please contact me. Please use the little bit of working brains left in your head, and stop pissing people off in cars.
I have seen enough dead bikers on the roads! And to be real honest, you will be one of them if you keep riding like you are doing!