Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I now feel for Cagers, seriously...  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Copius

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: I now feel for Cagers, seriously...
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 08:10:11 am »
Its good to read through your guys comments on lane splitting, and the pro's and con's.

So what are your opinions on riding on "high beam" and with spot lights?

- High beam & spots vs. just high beam
- Day vs. night
- normal vs. orange head light

:thumleft:

Offline jagter

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 08:57:46 am »
Its good to read through your guys comments on lane splitting, and the pro's and con's.

- Day vs. night

Please don't ride with brights in the day. Really the mark of a twatwaffle.  It's seriously distracting for the people in front of you.  If you have such an overwhelming need to be seen, maybe you should look at your riding style. Ride like you are invisible, don't blind everyone around you.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:03:00 am by jagter »

Offline masehare

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 09:01:44 am »

- Day vs. night

Please don't ride with brights in the day. Really the mark of a twatwaffle.  It's seriously distracting for the people in front of you.  If you have such a overwhelming need to be seen, maybe you should look at your riding style. Ride like you are invisible, don't blind everyone around you.

Jy bedoel seker "Ride like you are visible"?
Profile for wepenerc100

take me down to the Salt Lake City where there’s salt and lakes and the lakes are salty

Offline Copius

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 09:03:00 am »

Please don't ride with brights in the day. Really the mark of a twatwaffle.  It's seriously distracting for the people in front of you.  If you have such a overwhelming need to be seen, maybe you should look at your riding style. Ride like you are invisible, don't blind everyone around you.

[/quote]

Hey that's why I'm asking...  ;D

Offline jagter

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 09:04:44 am »

Hey that's why I'm asking...  ;D
[/quote]

Ha.  Opinions differ.  Some people insist on their opinion that brights are the way to go.  But I also stand by my opinion that it marks you as a class a twatwaffle

Offline TheBear

• KilRoy se haas!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 09:30:02 am »
In my experience, it is not the amount of light that makes you more visible, but rather the "out of the ordinary", i.e. a different patern, different colour, etc.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:12:19 am by AMZ »
.#BRADICAL!

Offline T Rex

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 11:08:39 am »

- Day vs. night

With the GSA's the spots make them much more visible and does not blind other drivers like SOME other bikes do on High beam.

I ride on Low Beam with the spots on.

On dirt I prefer High beam , helps for visibility in the dust and to see your buddy behind you in the mirror.

Offline T Rex

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 11:10:20 am »

Another example, I traverse Kloof Nek daily returning from work to Houties...
Motorbikes overtake/lane split carefully between the traffic (1 lane each way), whereas slower scooters, and I UNDERSTAND their thinking, feel they are slower than cars MOVING, but faster than cars CRAWLING, so they pass - lots of them, on the LEFT!

As a bike-aware driver, I try to move over for the bikes coming past, yet nearly collide with a scooter!!!

Chris this is a big problem , I see it a lot around here .....

You do not expect a bike there ( ON THE LEFT ) and it is scary how many people does that.

You may only pass on the  left , in a single lane road, if the other vehicle indicated that it is turning right and there is enough space to pass without leaving the road surface.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:14:54 am by T Rex »

Offline plaky

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 11:11:20 am »

- Day vs. night

Please don't ride with brights in the day. Really the mark of a twatwaffle.  It's seriously distracting for the people in front of you.  If you have such an overwhelming need to be seen, maybe you should look at your riding style. Ride like you are invisible, don't blind everyone around you.

Jagter I am going to have to disagree with you. Brights in the day is nowhere as severe as at night and that would be disrespectful anyway. I ride with my brights on as I don't want to be invisible but visable. I would rather the cars see me and think or say, geez that bikes light is bright, than oh shit I am sorry I did not see you and you are lying in the road!. The time that I am in a persons review mirror or side mirror is for a few seconds. It is strange that since I have been using my brights how the cagers make way for me and nobody has kaked me out. All my work people have said they prefer to see bikers far away than too late and that includes having your brights on.

Offline jagter

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 11:23:39 am »

- Day vs. night

Jagter I am going to have to disagree with you. Brights in the day is nowhere as severe as at night and that would be disrespectful anyway. I ride with my brights on as I don't want to be invisible but visable. I would rather the cars see me and think or say, geez that bikes light is bright, than oh shit I am sorry I did not see you and you are lying in the road!. The time that I am in a persons review mirror or side mirror is for a few seconds. It is strange that since I have been using my brights how the cagers make way for me and nobody has kaked me out. All my work people have said they prefer to see bikers far away than too late and that includes having your brights on.

Every man for himself on this one.  It's 2 philosophies that aren't reconcilable. It's one thing to be passed quickly by a bike on brights, but to have one behind you for a long time is seriously annoying. So if you have your brights on, don't ride behind anyone.  ;)

Of course the 6v beam from a 1976 XT500 and some halogen aircraft searchlight on a beamer or ktm are also not comparable.

Offline captain jack

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2015, 11:43:35 am »
As a biker who commutes on the N1 every day in Cape Town, no matter the weather I would like to comment on some of what has been said in all the threads. I am a considerate rider.

5. I thank every single car that I see that tries to make space for me and this includes the taxi's who are great here.

Me too, but on the M3. Hopefully such helpfull behaviour is catching :biggrin:

Offline T Rex

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2015, 11:56:03 am »
As a biker who commutes on the N1 every day in Cape Town, no matter the weather I would like to comment on some of what has been said in all the threads. I am a considerate rider.

5. I thank every single car that I see that tries to make space for me and this includes the taxi's who are great here.

Me too, but on the M3. Hopefully such helpfull behaviour is catching :biggrin:

I do not commute as a rule,  but try to do the same when I do ride in traffic.  :thumleft: hopefully we do improve the general perception of cagers wrt bikes.

But then , only one asshole can change this  perception by hitting a mirror or showing the finger.

Offline raphaeltube

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 10:35:15 am »

- Day vs. night

I don't think it makes much difference on my XR650L.
Your indicators are probably brighter ;)

But seriously, I think it depends on your bike.

-R
!