A Fun Desert Run and a WET Namib Desert! - 20/03-4/04 - Updated!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Well, my first ride reportâ?¦.. first EPIC journeyâ?¦. First of MANY!!

The Prep: Night before we leave��

It all started in 2006 just after we did the Desert Run on our beloved XR500REâ??s , we decided to do it again, but with a twistâ?¦.this time we do the whole round trip, on only the bikes. No support vehicle (this means no Cold Beer) and we extend the trip with one week and do our own run back 8) 8) 8)â?¦..From Swakop, Solitaire, Sesriem, Betta, Rosh Pinah, and from there we will find out when we get there... Why can a plan like this fail?? >:D >:D

It took us a few months to all get bikes and do our Bike Licenses and so it all started falling into place. Only problem was my AT went back to the shop after the 2nd time itâ??s big end bearings diedâ?¦. (Motorcycle Lab) and this after Iâ??ve spend almost 10k to get the motor redone for this trip!!!! AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!
This will still not stop me from doing this trip â?? got the bike back about 1week before we had to leaveâ?¦.â?Ok Boys, letâ??s do this!!!â?

Why does one always leave everything for the last evening and then realize what you still had to get for the tripâ?¦??? ??? ??? ??? ???

We prepped the bikes; all went fine â?? with a cold one â?? some good tunes in the backgroundâ?¦.
Loki trying to look serious...

Stefan "fiddling" again - we should have called him MR Fiddle!!

Me, trying to figure out where to put all my stuff....

Meet the Team:
Scrat - aka Gerrit (me) â?¦Red Heart Bunny (RD04 Africa Twin)

Dr Dirt â?? aka Danie â?¦.. Dr Dirt (RD07 Africa Twin)

Loki _CPTâ?? aka Quentinâ?¦ Gigolo (Transalp 600)

Stefan â?¦.. Mr Moan a lot  (Husky SM610)

Neliusâ?¦. Beamer man (only joined us in Kuruman) (BMW F650GS)

Day 1 â?? Cape Town to Beauford-West

We all woke up early â?? music was roaring in the house and we had to do last minute shopping at the local sparâ?¦ as the other member (DR Dirt - Danie) was eagerly waiting in George for us to leave....
I got some pics from him on his solo trip - George to B-West....
Getting ready to leave George..and it's raining....

Some pics of MeiringsPoort...

He will be meeting us in Beauford.  :eek: :eek: :D There was a kind of electricity in the air and no, nothing related to Eskomâ??s load shedding!! ;D ;D ;D

Finally!!! We are off, stopped at the Shell at Canal Walk to fill up and DAMM!! The damm  South-Easter almost blew me over at the pumps!! Hectic!! Nothing will stop this trip!! With a rather chilly and Pumping S-E haunting us from the side we started.

Was quite a mission to get used to the luggage on the back â?? but soon it was easy ridingâ?¦
We stopped in Worcester for a coffeeâ?¦damm that beer would have been great now!!
The bikes still shining and the spirits high!!

Seeing that we are only three on day one â?? that means 2x smokers and one non-smoker â?? we winâ?¦. We will stop every 60-70 km for a smoke break!! Cool â?? thatâ??s a great idea!!

What a nice day â?? not a lot of wind â?? heat is bearable â?? we stop once again for a smoke, spirits still high!!

Road is a bit boring â?? but we keep ourselves entertained!!

Last stop just after Leeu Gamka, Danie phones and says: â??where the hell are you?? Iâ??ve been stuck at the Dros in B-West for far too long â?? the drinks are waiting!!!â?

Right after that he sends a MMS...

Now what type of motivation does one need to get Moving???

Not long after the call we reach B-West and true as bob â?? here he sits â?? drunk as a Skunk!! Bastard!! We have to catch up!! Hurry boys!!

We later discover that the place we booked for the evening is yet another 20km out of B-West and none of us will be driving there!!  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:â?¦â?¦..what to do?? ??? ???
AAAAH look at that, right opposite the Dros is a Hotel!!!  (donâ??t ask me what the name wasâ?¦â?¦or wait thereâ??s the name on the picâ?¦ Oasis Hotel)

PERFECT!!! We can stay longer!! â??Another round Please!!â? >:D >:D >:D >:D

Day 2 to follow soon.... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)