Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: A Fun Desert Run and a WET Namib Desert! - 20/03-4/04 - Updated!!  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Scrat

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Re: A Fun Desert Run and a WET Namib Desert!!! - 20 March- 4 April
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 11:40:02 am »
Hey Scrat lekker trip.. saw your bike at buurmans place LTC (Leon) just before your trip ;). He mentioned that some other oke put the engine together and there was some stuff put back not so lekker. ;)

:'( :'( :'( Yip, knowing all that, i still had to do the trip!!  8) 8) 8) Mind over matter..... was quite challenging not knowing when the bike will die. :-\ :-\ :-\....but it was still a GREAT. trip!!...

Will post the next day today ;D ;D ;D ;D
Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline Scrat

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 04:18:35 pm »
Day 4 ‚?? Molopo to Koes (Border Post Problems)

I think we either have lost all liver functions or our livers are adapting to the harsh circumstances‚?¶. I‚??ll go for option 2.. we got up early again and decided not to take the sandy route today as we still have another 4000km to do ‚?? let‚??s go easy for now‚?¶. 8) 8) 8)

We headed off after a ‚??coffee kapitaal‚?Ě The road from Molopo to Rietfontein border has been tarred not to long ago and soon we found ourselves on a vast salt pan ‚?? this opt for a Photo shoot‚?¶

waaaassss hy :P :P...waa is hy...daaaarrrss HY!!!  :P :P :P

We were here..... 8) 8)

it was almost 10:00 and we could feel the sun trying to drain any liquid out of our bodies, a few good laughs....
and siggas, some more warm water and we headed to the border.... :o :o :o

We fell into the long queue, scorching sun by now ‚?¶ all went well, paperwork in order, I went trough first, then Loki, As Stefan was passing the gate we heard the UNTHINKABLE ..., ???

We heard:‚?¶‚?ĚMr Pretorius, Silver BMW motorbike??‚?Ě  ??? ??? roaring over all the buzzing going on at the gate‚?¶. Again we heard it‚?¶. Yip, that was our Nelius!!!  :o :o :o :o Aaag damm, what now?? ‚??Ah, sir? Do you know that your bike‚??s license has EXPIRED Dec 2007??‚?Ě :o :o :o ‚?¶AAAAGGG FOK!!! Nelius jou ASS!! ::) ::) ::) (he was named Mr. Responsible the first 2 days, now that changed to Ass!!)  What now???...first option ‚??you can cross the gate, but the bike can‚??t‚?Ě ‚?? not an option ‚?? ‚??2nd  you can pay a fine and maybe we can get you across, but you might be stopped at the Namibian side too and pay a fine there too‚?Ě ‚?? we‚??ll take the last option‚?¶  :-\ :-\ :-\
Nelius surounded by Police...I wonder why....

1h20min later Nelius came through the gate ‚?? joining the dehydrated team that has been waiting in ‚??no-man‚??s land‚?Ě

We had no problems at the Namibian gate and soon we were off to Aroab, we know there are some sosaties and Cold Beer!! Or Maybe MORE!!!  :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D

‚?? The first thing you notice is the condition of the road!!! Magtag, feels like the tar road just before the borderpost, and soon have a nice cruising speed of 110/120km.  8) 8)
We get there, Pay our Road Tax...

have the best biltong sosaties prepared by the locals

and we find the bar, aaah ‚?? here we need to stay for a while. Too hot to ride now, any excuse will work now.

We start the long 148km stretch to Koes, with a smoke stop every 60km,

Loki feeling the NEED......

one of the stops Loki discoverers that his right indicator broke loose, he‚??s just to glad that it‚??s still there and working!!

A long dusty road and we get to Koes ‚?? we are early and decided to see if the hotel‚??s rum tastes the same as everywhere else‚??s‚?¶ while sitting in the VIP section

we see a lush patch of grass and decide to pitch our tents there,

soon we are organized

and we head back to the hotel for some Springbok Pie and more Captain Morgan‚?¶.. :P :P

and then it's time to relax.... pics of us in the 'VIP" section....

And our friendly neighbor from Molopo...explaining to us Who the hell killed Kenny!!!!

And best of all was Go Girl accepting her Award in the BAR!!! XXX giving a bit of Moral support
(Sorry Go Girl...... >:D >:D >:Djust had to let this one slip trough)

After a Great day we all headed back across the road to our tents and some laughs and fun....and one pic was taken....one nightmares are made of......

Koes to Windhoek next.....sorry for the delay....dammm work is driving me mad >:( >:(

Offline GO GIRL

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 12:14:19 am »
Scrat work really is keeping you 'tied up' cmon lets see the rest of you pics u guys shud have joined me on my route ;D

No prob with pic as you said when a theres gal on the 'table' you are there ;D :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline GreenMachine

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • KLR World
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 04:18:18 am »
Now that was lekker to read and watch.

More pleez....

KLRWorld.com Forums

One must first learn to pee with the puppies before one can run with the "Dogs"

Go Bulls !

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 02:36:06 pm »
Africa Twins RULE
Awesome trip

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Scrat

Re: A Fun Desert Run and a WET Namib Desert!!!20 March-4 April-UPDATED!!
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 01:06:45 pm »
Sorry for the late updates - was waiting to get all the pictures of the trip together - don't want to miss anything... :)

Day 5 ‚?? Koes to Windhoek

We decided the night before that we want to get an early start today‚?¶ 550km ‚?? give or take to Windhoek‚?¶well we did, it was still dark and as we were busy packing up we started hearing the rooster and birds getting some life‚?¶..

We headed off into the crisp morning air, a light breeze, just enough to get the dust off the road, mmm nothing like that early morning smell‚?¶.I wonder what is in store for us today!! ::) ::) ::)
The first 50km was great!! The road was perfect, and had these small hills, UP then DOWN,  :P :P right after each other, was like one of the best roller coaster rides ever, and the best is; You are in control of it!!  ;D ;D
We soon got to our first smoke stop and it was great being in front of the ‚??big‚?Ě dust cloud!!

Go-Girl and XXX hurrying past us‚?¶

The road was great ‚?? twisting through the mountains, yip a few quads had to be overtaken, just hate the dust those things kick up!! After about 140km or so we reached Gochas, we had to fill up and we were greeted by these crawling creatures  - no wonder why they call this Gochas (goggas) here‚??s some pics of them!!

This is also a glimpse back to 2006 when we did the DR with the XR500RE‚??s same spot we just upgraded the bikes, me and Dr Dirt‚??s past and present.
Past

Present

About 15km form Gochas we reached the Auob Lodge, Man we were starving by then and THIRSTY!! We took opportunity to have a feast at the buffet breakfast, washed down with a cold draft!! The pool just looked so inviting as the sun was burning the landscape beyond these walls‚?¶. :o :o

We reached the end of the gravel road for today  at Stampriet and was taking strain in the scorching heat! Not a lot of shade around here. We decided to take the tar road to Windhoek as we started having issues with our air filters ‚?? we headed off on the long stretch to Windhoek and soon had to stop just after the T-junction past Mariental. There are no words to describe the heat at this stage.

We were having a few jokes and realized that we have to make a plan to get Nelius‚??s License disk sorted or he will get more fines!  :-[ :-[ :-[
See if you can spot the moodlification‚?¶. ;) ;) ;)

We stopped at the Kalahari Bar halfway to Windhoek and tested the cold beers. Yip they were GREAT!!! 

Yet again having some fun and entertaining ourselves ‚?? must be the sun burning our head as there is not a lot of shade!!

Just as we were entering  the mountains before Windhoek we stopped again for a smoke, just notice how green everything is!! AMAZING!!

What is it with people having this great road and space and then decide to leave one of the great DS bikes on the trailer? Just  SAD man!! :o :o :o

By this stage I could here a really weird sound coming from my AT‚??s engine‚?¶. ??? ??? ::) Hey almost in Windhoek!! As we reached Arebbusch Lodge, we just decided to head for the bar and leave the troubling bike for tomorrow!! 8) 8)
A hot shower and the last clean clothes some more beers and soon we were ready for Joe‚??s Beerhouse!!! Some decent food waited for us!  We took a taxi as we knew what was waiting for us!! No risk trying to stay on two wheels!!
Here‚??s some pics of Joe‚??s‚?¶.
Aaah - Cheers!!!

And what we had for dinner... :o :o :o
Nelius went for Bushman's Fire (or something like that...)

Loki and Stefan decided to do the Bushman Sosatie - Loki is REALLY looking forward to this meal!!

And me and Dr Dirt went for the Kudu Knuckle.... :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Now for a few Jagger's

I'm glad we took the taxi!!!  :D :D

And yet again a great ending to a superb day!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

Offline Scrat

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 03:24:22 pm »
Day 6 ‚??Windhoek-Swakopmund

We woke up, our tents was setup right in front of the reception, nice soft grass‚?¶. Dr Dirt quickly arranged some coffee from the restaurant, and we had it delivered by a waiter!!  Imagine that!! Now that is service!!

We started packing up, I started my bike and yet again a frightening noise from the motor, just sound more and more like bearings!! And it‚??s a rough day today!! I don‚??t want to but I don‚??t think it‚??s a good idea to try and ride today and get stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere without support :-[ :-[ :-[‚?¶.. so the decision was made to get the bike on a trailer and fix it in Swakkopmund. :'( :'(
Now ‚?? we need to find an open trailer and make some friends QUICKLY!!
We got a lift with Neil, Kenny and Kie, our friendly neighbors from Molopo..

It was a sad moment for me but then again, thinking of being stuck in the back of a bakkie with cold beer and music‚?¶. >:D >:D >:D Not to Bad‚?¶‚?¶   ;) ;)

Here‚??s some pics from my ‚??Solo Bakkie Trip‚?Ě ‚?¶into the Khomas Hochland

Stefan waiting at the Spookhuis for the rest...

As we passed the famous ‚??SpookHuis‚?Ě I felt sadness creeping back in me :'( :'( :'( ‚?? I wish I could stop and check it out‚?¶
Well at least the rest of the group stopped and took a whole lot of pics ‚?? they did say that a funny eerie feeling was present the whole time they were there and there was this suspicious white horse staying close to the house.. :o :o :o :o
Die Spookhuis

I made it to the halfway point in the back of the bakkie,  where some more locally produced sosaties, Boerewors Rolls and the best Drafts was waiting. :P :P

My "backup" team...

At least i can say my bike was here.... :'( :'( :'(

View from the top....Halfway stop- the road waiting for us...

The way we came from

After a while I was getting worried about the rest of my team, they were taking awfully long.. hope they are ok!!
Finally they arrived and YES, something did happen‚?¶ :o :o :o

my exhausted friends..

With all the rain the road was really hectic at some parts ‚?? it‚??s at one of these bends that Dr Dirt had a little encounter with a ditch. His bike had a scratch or two but he apparently made a good ‚??swan dive‚?Ě down the hill‚?¶..he did not get hurt but was a bit shaken ‚?? here is some pics of the spot, notice the sharp decent in the hill where he took his tumble ‚?¶‚?¶  ::) ::)

We soon decided to start heading to swakop as we still have about 170km ahead on these namib highways.
I, once again got settled in the back of the bakkie with a cold beer and watched the rest of the team get ready and gear up for the last stretch.
I took a few pics of the scenery on the way to swakop, the rains sure have changed the desert to an awesome colorful landscape

Some more rain coming......

Here is some pictures of the team having  a break in one of the many river beds.

Notice the change in scenery the closer we get to the coast....

Here's a pic of the team just before Swakopmund...they made it!!!

I arrived in swakop and quickly sorted out the accommodation, unloaded my bike and gear, got a lift to town and stocked up for the arrival of the rest of the team‚?¶. ;D ;D ;D
The boys arrived and were greeted with very potent rum‚?¶sorry my hand slipped‚?¶.. ;) ;) ;) ;)
The rum surely went down well as soon as the team was reunited!!

Soon the booze was finished and it was time to clean up and head to town for some food and more of that "stuff" pirates sing about‚?¶. ;) ;)

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
Re: A Fun Desert Run and a WET Namib Desert! - 20/03-4/04 - Updated!!
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 07:12:57 am »
Finally!!!  >:D >:D
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Offline Scrat

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 09:49:46 am »
Day 7-9  ‚??Swakopmund time to rest (Or NOT)

Day of the living dead may describe how we felt the first morning in swakop‚?¶..  :sad3: :sad3: :sad3:
i spend most of the time working on my bike while the rest explored town ‚?? got some KFC, more beer, and gave good moral support. :wav:

A look at the A-Frame houses we stayed in..

We had all the time in the world, :headbang: :headbang: this was also a good time to search for a Laundromat and the bike shops, everyone did a bit of maintenance on the bike as we wanted to go to dune 7 the next day.
We did some exploring..The Jetty was first..

We ended up at the Lighthouse

I finally got my bike to a point where I stopped worrying :-[ :-[ (or maybe just gave up)  8) 8) but I have to stress that my problem with lack of power and no speed past 120km/h was caused by a clogged fuel filter!! Aaai!!  >:( >:(

Well, for the next few days we explored dune 7, seen some of the best sunsets in a long time, had the best pizza and pastas at Napolitana‚??s, depleted the rum stock at Gundergrantz/Swakopmund Lodge, got VIP membership at  El Cubana, met a whole lot of locals and we had the time of our lives!! Away from all the responsibilities back home...just a time to unwind and relax...
Here are some pics
Dune 7....

Some of the best sunsets....

Wonder if we could swim to this boat....... ??? ???

We had to use the braai-grid we've been carrying for more that 2000km!!!

and what goes best with a braai??

and then you start feeling Silly :evil: :evil: :evil:

And get creative ideas..see what happens when you leave your friends alone with isolation tape....

finally time to eat!! ;D ;D

Should i stay or should i go now......

Let me IN!!!  >:D I wanna go to sleep!!

Our last evening at Tiger Reef, feeling sad, but also very excited about the route back to Cape Town..and this was just before the thunder storm.... Jip, can you believe it??? we were in the middle of a thunder storm and it's no joy trying to keep the bike steady on those salt roads of swakop when wet!!!  :o :o :o :o
Nelius,

One of Nelius's Buddy's currently doing some work in Swakop

Dr Dirt

Stefan

Loki

And me

Nice group photo before the rain started......

We sure had an awesome time in Swakopmund.....

Offline Scrat

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 12:35:35 pm »
Day 10  ‚??Swakopmund to Solitaire

Not having had a lot of sleep the night before as it was our farewell to Swakop, we finally started packing up. It took a few hours what normally took like 30min. but by 12:00 we were ready, we really had to leave NOW!! Or we will have to stay another day and we can‚??t do that ‚?? still a long way to go.

Nelius, unfortunately had to stay behind and leave his bike with a friend in Swakop and fly back to JHB as there was some problems at work. Not knowing what an adventure he will miss, we waved goodbye and headed of to Walvis Bay. We stopped at the KFC for our last decent take away food for a while.
We could see rainclouds in the distance, but why would we worry, this is the desert, it does not rain in the desert!!
About 40km into the Namib we decided to stop at this Cool rock, really can‚??t remember the name of this place.
Time to take pics again ‚?? still wondering if we can‚??t just sleep for a bit ‚?¶.really tired now‚?¶.

Stefan....aka Monkey Boy

Lord of the Rock

Storm clouds ahead..... :o :o :o

Not to far away we met up with the storm clouds we have been seeing since we left Walvis, it was really great just having this cool rain washing the tiredness off you!! Also weird having a thunderstorm in the desert!! Amazingly the road was still great, no mud, no slippery patches. Just wet.
As we got out of the rain we had to stop for a smoke or two, here are some pics of the area about 100km from Walvis, this is supposed to be a desert??

The storm we just went through...

Dr Dirt had a fan.....they keep following us around!!! He could go stand anywhere, this gogga will follow him!!NO FREE RIDES DUDE!!! >:( >:(

We had to get going as the rain was heading this way, soon we entered the Kuiseb Pass and I‚??ve been here a few time before and never have I seen it this green, velvety soft green, and at the bottom of the pass, water in the kuiseb river!! What an amazing sight!! Some more pictures‚?¶

Soon we headed out to the plains again and it was starting to get late so we need to start hurrying up, still a long way to go, I think, as I do not have a map or anything these buddies of mine are following me on blind faith‚?¶‚?¶.  :-\ :-\
We hit some more rain and was really getting wet now, this afternoon‚??s shower was GREAT, but this is getting a bit of a problem now!! The tent, sleeping bag, everything is going to be wet by the time we get to Solitaire!! The road started getting a bit muddy at the water crossings. We got to a patch about 40 km just before Solitaire  and stopped for that long awaited smoke!!
The road we just came from...

from another angle...(This is one of my favorite pics....)

Flowers everywhere ... smells like Ceres in spring!!!

The road ahead.....More Rain...... :o :o :o

The rain was on our tail and we rushed off again, AGAIN into some more rain!!! and into the early evening. I could feel the huge raindrops falling, and it was really getting dark now!! Where the hell is Solitaire ??!!!
We finally made it just after dark, stopped at the Solitaire Lodge, and decided to get a room in the Lodge as no one was really looking forward to setting up tents in mud and sleep in a wet sleeping bag‚?¶. Ya we still are a bit spoiled!!  Just as we unloaded the bikes another storm broke out and we were really ‚??pleased‚?Ě with our dry and warm rooms!!
Great rooms and we had some time left to explore the dinner buffet!! Aah, a warm bed, full tummy, hot shower, glad to be at our destination and totally exhausted. One by one we passed out with a smile.
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Scrat

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 12:55:21 pm »
More days to follow........sorry for the delay.... :P :P :P

Offline GO GIRL

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 02:48:06 pm »
Hey Scrat you gotta admit that was a grt DR and the scenery and the cameraderie out ther was just amazing..... 8)

Its great to go thru those pics and share the emotions of that specific time and place GRT reporting ;D

Offline Ballies

• Cut me loose
  • KTM 950 Adventure Rules!!
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 07:53:40 am »
nice fotos. Ek was lanklaas daar gewees.  8)
I want a shark with a frikken laser beam

Offline Gryshond

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 08:34:25 am »
Great Report.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 06:37:06 pm »
Sad that the Molopo/Rietfontein road has been tarred.  :sad: Was a good stretch of dirt intermixing sandish, hard dirt, twisting and straight dirt.

All the way to Rietfontein?

He who angers you, controls you.