DR650 spark plugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
As i tend to do with every bike I purchase I go through it slowly and methodically, looking for good and bad points, servicing, fixing, etc.

I previously noticed that the fuel petcock drips slightly when one changes the setting - so a rebuild thereof with new seals is on the cards.

When I lifted the tank I was, therefore not surprised to see fuel and dirt deposits on the cylinder hear below the petcock. Took of the leads and spent the next few minutes fishing out small pieces of stone stuck around the bottom of the inner sparkplug and brushing the area around them clean before removing them. Blocked the holes to ensure not infress of foreign matter and then had a closer look at the spark plugs themselves.

The inner of the two had some hard baked dirt / rust deposits around its base whilst the outer one was in much better nick. The plugs looked in good nick otherwise, with slightly black tips.

Bike at that stage ran a K&N filter (now removed), standard airbox, slightly gutted OEM pipe and (as yet) unknown jets.

Problem is that these are NGK CR8E whilst the standard plug is sopposed top be a NGK CR10E with a NGK CR9E listed as a hotter alternative.

That suggest that these plugs have too hot a rating. Although there was no signs of blistering or overheating I do not feel comfortable with leaving them in.

So what plugs do you guys run? I see there is also a twinspark EK variant available. Is that a worthwile consideration?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DR650 cylinder.jpg
    DR650 cylinder.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 189
  • DR650 spark plugs.jpg
    DR650 spark plugs.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 204