Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Zero's now in South Africa  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: Zero's now in South Africa
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2015, 03:12:28 pm »

agree!
the other point I would think is that the Lightning could practically be used as a standard bike - top fueller not so much...

Agree as well,  but a Hyabusa,  MTT,  or ZZR14 could be practically used as a standard bike,  with just the voluntarily added,  derestrictions removed.  I didn't even think Top Fuel dragster or any other ace bike,  as for me the claim was always,  production bikes.

I just mentioned them as a matter of interest anyway and not as an attempt to take away from the Lightning in any way.   I have watched the battery powered bikes come a long way racing in the Isle of Man TT. over the years.   Just a few years ago they were aiming at a 160km/h average lap.  Last year they did just over 180.  Performance is incredible.   Only issue to date is price and range.

for sure!  :thumleft:

but considering the maturity of the two technologies (fuel/elec) in so far as transport is concerned, I just imagine the progress that elec will still have - biggest hurdle is battery, but quite a lot of progress (and focus) is being made as we speak

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 04:19:57 pm »
The Lightning is the fastest bike on the planet.....and it's electric.
http://www.gizmag.com/lightning-ls218-review-ls-218/36470/

It is indeed an incredible bike, but "fastest on the planet"  is open to debate.   Bikes like the Hyabusa and ZZR1400 derestricted could be faster.  The MTT Turbine Y2K is probably faster as well.

This bike has a 250mph (around 400km/h) claimed speed. nobody's ever returned the bike because it does not do it...
2003 R1150GS

Online 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:39 pm »
Battery powered vehicles are very old, IOW electric motor driven ones. The big letdown was always batteries, and it still is, though it has improved dramatically.

Like it was said in a previous post though, where this E-bike will kick petrol's arse is in a regular commute. To work, slow-charge while you work, ride home, slow-charge while you sleep.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 06:39:26 am »

Like it was said in a previous post though, where this E-bike will kick petrol's arse is in a regular commute. To work, slow-charge while you work, ride home, slow-charge while you sleep.

I fear that the capitalist system will  make electric bikes less lucrative than they could be.   Various companies are already looking into "pay as you use"  charging stations,  so charge at work,  or at a shopping centre will not be free.   Charging at home will cost a bit,  especially in SA where it will be some time before we pay for electricity on a "when you use"  basis,  I. e.  much cheaper at night.   Ad to that very expensive selling price,  which bring much higher insurance premiums,  it will take some time before they will actually be  cheaper.

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 10:14:23 am »

I fear that the capitalist system will  make electric bikes less lucrative than they could be.   Various companies are already looking into "pay as you use"  charging stations,  so charge at work,  or at a shopping centre will not be free.   Charging at home will cost a bit,  especially in SA where it will be some time before we pay for electricity on a "when you use"  basis,  I. e.  much cheaper at night.   Ad to that very expensive selling price,  which bring much higher insurance premiums,  it will take some time before they will actually be  cheaper.

+1

can also expect them to tax the sh*t out of electric vehicles

sooner or later they will figure out that you are not paying petrol taxes so they are loosing - they will then move that into your annual license fee and expect these not to be any cheaper than driving a gas guzzler

Offline HeeBs

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 06:00:27 pm »
Petrol increase April expected to be in the region of R1.55 / litre !! This when petrol is hovering around R53 a barrel, what's gonna happen when it jumps back up to R80 / R90+ a barrel.

Anyone else notice how prices dropped in your supermarket during this "cheap petrol" period? - me neither  ::)

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2015, 07:48:49 pm »

It is indeed an incredible bike, but "fastest on the planet"  is open to debate.   Bikes like the Hyabusa and ZZR1400 derestricted could be faster.  The MTT Turbine Y2K is probably faster as well.

This bike has a 250mph (around 400km/h) claimed speed. nobody's ever returned the bike because it does not do it...

Dead people don't return bikes!  If you can hold on at 400km/h you are a superhero. I shit myself doing 300.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline volroom

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • I'm loving it
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 07:53:20 am »

Dead people don't return bikes!  If you can hold on at 400km/h you are a superhero. I shit myself doing 300.

sure. I don't think anybody's attempted 400km/h on that bike. the jet engine has around 500Nm of torque...
2003 R1150GS