Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Zero's now in South Africa  (Read 6600 times)

Offline HeeBs

Re: Zero's now in South Africa
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:00 pm »
I think with all of us being "REAL - bikers", we are looking at this bike from the wrong angle. There was a thread all about electric bikes quite a while ago.

Basically this will only be ideal for a short commute. I'm about 20 kays from work and my petrol bill is about R1000 to about R1300-00 a month, including some extra running around.
Now I'm not sure what the percentage of fuel levy & fuel tax goes to Jacob's Inkhandla but let's just say 70% - now I'd love to pay our Guvament R700 to R900 less each month  :biggrin:
Particularly after they just whacked anothr 80c onto the pump.

I remember doing a rough calculation on the electricity and it came out to about R67-00 a week ( Yes you can fight with me about my math but it was a while ago so I can remember)
anyway it was a lot less than juice !

The argument about our power supply in SA is well understood but then again you can always grab your car or petrol bike if load shedding is that bad.

It takes too long to charge? A good point but then again if you are using it to commute, plug it in when you get to work (let the company pay half), ride home and plug it in at home - chop chop !

Just consider NEVER having to chuck in petrol?

**As a side note, I think there's a real challenge awaiting all governments with regards electric vehicles - to be silly, just imagine 10 000 people riding electric bikes, all that loss in revenue!?!
The SA Guvament has already been quoted as saying that with newer, smaller and more efficient vehicles, they are already feeling the pinch.

Personally I'd just like to stick it up the guvaments arse !!!

Now let's talk about this mad price shall we?  :biggrin:

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2015, 10:36:20 pm »
I tested one after the AMID show last year, awesome bike to ride, they silently accelerate like crazy from standstill. The road was slightly damp and it constantly spun up the back wheel. The whole bike looked like a Chinese 250 in size and quality, with skinny tyres and shitty suspension. For the asking price I would want some decent parts and a 600 superbike type tyre on the back at the very least. And yes there is virtually no maintenance and a charge is much cheaper than petrol, but the batteries have a life and needs to be replaced at great cost down the line. Personally I think it is too early to go electric, maybe in a few years we will see some decent electric scoots, but for now, I am going to walk away.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2015, 11:42:53 pm »
No no no!!!
A bike should make mechanical noise and spit fire and brimstone.

Personally I think this idea is really naff! ???
always alternatives  ;) ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TChU86lyspI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TChU86lyspI</a>
The following users did not thank this post: RobC

Offline luv2ride

• Strand brak
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Strand brak
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 05:12:47 am »
I came across one the other day on my commute into Stellenbosch. The acceleration of it is insane  :o

BMW S1000XR and BMW R1200R
BMW F800GS - sold, Honda NC700X -Sold; BMW1150GSA -sold
BMW F650 twin - sold
BMW F800ST - in bike heaven Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold Kawasaki ER6F -sold Yamaha FZ6 - sold BMW 1200GS - sold BMW 650 Dakar - sold Yamaha XJ750 - stolen Honda MT5 - given away as scrap

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
Re:
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 09:30:18 am »
Ive ridden one.. they are awesome bikes. The eskom argument is a stupid one.. we will always have electricity or the economy will die snd trust me..Your uncharged bike will be the least of your worries.

The only and I mean only problem is the price
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re:
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 09:31:48 am »

Indeed and that is a big problem.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Supervan

Re:
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 01:38:06 pm »

Indeed and that is a big problem.

It is just a tad more than the top of the range Apple iWatch, then again I think the range on the iWatch is better.
Freedom is directly proportional to risk.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 01:54:37 pm »
so did the marshall guy in somerset-west that were selling these go belly up or where he never the official importer ???

how can cayenne now be the "first electric motorcycle" importer if it has been here for more than a year already ???

or did i miss something ???

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 02:28:53 pm »
so did the marshall guy in somerset-west that were selling these go belly up or where he never the official importer ???

how can cayenne now be the "first electric motorcycle" importer if it has been here for more than a year already ???

or did i miss something ???

I think the "Cayenne = first electric motorcycle importer" is a bit of marketing gumf.  We all know Marshal imported them about a year ago already.  A play with words like: "Cayenne World is marketing the first generally available battery bikes"

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:31:17 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Brenny

• Ride the Adventure that is Life
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 04:32:58 pm »
I see a guy with a CA plate in Sandton daily on one.

Bike has a ever so subtle hum when its on the go

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 06:17:35 am »

Subtle hum,  indeed.

The guys racing the TT Zero class on the Isle of Man,  reckons this is their biggest problem.  No noise,  so no chasing of birds,  rabbits,  etc.  off the track as they approach.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Brenny

• Ride the Adventure that is Life
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 07:15:20 am »
Even with a motor it happens

Offline Maddoglips

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 08:28:17 am »

Subtle hum,  indeed.

The guys racing the TT Zero class on the Isle of Man,  reckons this is their biggest problem.  No noise,  so no chasing of birds,  rabbits,  etc.  off the track as they approach.

Arghh cardboard on the spokes would work fine man. GRRRR GRRRRR GRRRR will scare anything living away  >:D

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 10:06:22 am »
Even with a motor it happens

Indeed!  Can you imagine how much worse with no noise?
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:19 am »
I see a LOT of great possibility for these as trail bikes etc. The fact that it's quiet will give one access to more places to ride.

Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2015, 03:33:18 pm »
The Lightning is the fastest bike on the planet.....and it's electric.
http://www.gizmag.com/lightning-ls218-review-ls-218/36470/
18 till I die.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2015, 06:37:14 pm »
The Lightning is the fastest bike on the planet.....and it's electric.
http://www.gizmag.com/lightning-ls218-review-ls-218/36470/

It is indeed an incredible bike, but "fastest on the planet"  is open to debate.   Bikes like the Hyabusa and ZZR1400 derestricted could be faster.  The MTT Turbine Y2K is probably faster as well.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 09:42:59 am »
Thinking about it, top fuel drag bikes are probably the fastest bikes on the planet, and even if you heavily modify a Hyabusa or Kawasaki 1400 (read turbo) and then a top fueller will run away from them like crazy. The H2 Kawasaki is groundbreaking too.
Point is the Lightning is an incredible machine, because all the above bikes are the result of more than 100 years of development of fossil fuelled engines, the Lightning is at the beginning of it's development cycle and is already close to the front if not in front.
18 till I die.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2015, 02:54:38 pm »
Thinking about it, top fuel drag bikes are probably the fastest bikes on the planet, and even if you heavily modify a Hyabusa or Kawasaki 1400 (read turbo) and then a top fueller will run away from them like crazy. The H2 Kawasaki is groundbreaking too.
Point is the Lightning is an incredible machine, because all the above bikes are the result of more than 100 years of development of fossil fuelled engines, the Lightning is at the beginning of it's development cycle and is already close to the front if not in front.

agree!
the other point I would think is that the Lightning could practically be used as a standard bike - top fueller not so much...
The following users did not thank this post: RobC

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 03:01:00 pm »

agree!
the other point I would think is that the Lightning could practically be used as a standard bike - top fueller not so much...

Agree as well,  but a Hyabusa,  MTT,  or ZZR14 could be practically used as a standard bike,  with just the voluntarily added,  derestrictions removed.  I didn't even think Top Fuel dragster or any other ace bike,  as for me the claim was always,  production bikes.

I just mentioned them as a matter of interest anyway and not as an attempt to take away from the Lightning in any way.   I have watched the battery powered bikes come a long way racing in the Isle of Man TT. over the years.   Just a few years ago they were aiming at a 160km/h average lap.  Last year they did just over 180.  Performance is incredible.   Only issue to date is price and range.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:02:01 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!