Anyone made the switch from 800XC to 1200?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddyVN

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hey!

So I currently drive the 800XC

Been looking around (maybe my arse is just itching) at a bigger bike. I do a lot of offroad (I think) but I also use my bike as a daily commute - and some breakfast tar runs and the like with the mrs.

I'm keen on the bigger bike for long distance comfort and two up travel. But I still want to be able to have fun on the railway service roads and the like.

I test drove the KTM 990 and 1190 R this week. Firstly - the 990. That was shit. Really didn't like it at all. Then the 1190 - what a bike! that was incredible. But so very different to the triumph. Tons of top end - but I dunno, after driving a triple those v-twins just seem clunky. I'm also worried about the myriad off issues

So... on to the 1200 TEX. Has anyone "upgraded" and what are their thoughts? Will I still have fun offroad (I'm not big on sand and amageza type stuff, but it happens). Is it worth it to move up to the 1200. What issues can I expect?

I love the idea of a bigger bike - but I fully realise it could just be an itch. The 1200 GSA LC even itches me some days, then I see the guy trying to sell on for R220k and roll around the floor laughing and imagining the pain on my wallet.

Any input is much appreciated

And yes - I used the search function, and read the 1200 TEX thread etc etc, so no bored people using this thread to hand out scoldings thanks (although I think thats reserved to the BMW and KTM threads) :pot: