All good boys go to Memel..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sierck-Les-Bains, France, (Formerly Benoni, SA)
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
My cousin Warren and me have been riding together since we were 16. He had aMB50 and I had a MT50. That's a long time ago, and things are slightly different, and we are slightly older. It somehow still feela kinda 16-ish even though we are now 50. The bikes have gotten more expensve and the bruises take way longer to heal, but the love of the horizon is every bit as strong s it ever was.

We've been dreaming of going to Memel and surrounds for a while now, and finally due to some unpleasant circumstances on Warren's part, he had to take leave for the week and ended up with Thursday and Friday free. I called him up and persuaded him he needed some stress therapy riding, and so we had a plan and executed it.

I bought a mounting system for my Samsung S4 and fitted it on Wednesday.. Perfect!
IMG_1987.JPG

Thursday was dark and clouds hung low in the sky. We however were undeterred, so we set off at about 8am, just as everone was going to work. You must understand, heading off on a ride while everyone else os heading off to work is a very special feeling. I recommend this highly to anyone with the inclination to ride a motorcycle.

Gassing up and checking tyre pressures, getting a coffee before hitting the road from Benoni to Heidelberg.
IMG_1993.JPG

We took to the N3 at Heidelberg and slabbed it until past the Villiers toll gate. Stopping after the toll gate to put on the rain suits..
IMG_1995.JPG

Phone stayed nice and dry despite the wet conditions!  :thumleft:
IMG_1994.JPG

When we bought the phone mounting stuff, we had concerns that when riding on gravel or off road, the phone would pop out. This however never happened.. Really good stuff.. Not cheap, but the right thing for the job!

Our first fuel stop on the N3. It was a quick in and out, so no, this great adventure did not begin at the Wimpy!!  :lol8:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HKG9QiT2d40/VQLocJx13eI/AAAAAAABCEA/_L15j1dyif0/w769-h577-no/IMG_1996.JPG[/imoon after we turned off at the R34 exit and headed towards Vrede, but turned south with the R34 again just before entering the town.

The R34 turns off in unexpected directions but gets you pretty much all the way to Memel.
[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-quw1ds8M81U/VQLoXlWykCI/AAAAAAABCD0/QjelqHvQKWs/w769-h577-no/IMG_1997.JPG

We encountered more than our fair share of stop and goes on this ride.. Hooligan bikers always push to the front..
IMG_2000.JPG

Off to the west, a promise of things to come..
IMG_1998.JPG

Ja, we waited quite a while. I was so busy being a papparrazzi that the traffic coming through almost took me out!
IMG_2001.JPG

Finally at 12:25 we made our way into a potholed Memel.. I really needed breakfast, but it was not to be..
IMG_2003.JPG