BUSHMANS CAVE / WILDDOG RIDE UP / 2 Dogs Down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
It all started at 08h00 on Friday morning at 08h00 at KTM CAPE TOWN.
We were waited on with coffee and good hospitality while we waited for all to arrive.

18042008005.jpg

XXX Left and Tok-tokkie right

18042008002.jpg

Camelmans legs are a bit short for that 990S

18042008003.jpg

Gavin Bradley admires XXX`s new KTM990S

18042008.jpg

The mist was very thick and it was hard to even see 50m.

Gavin Bradley and XXX had decided they wanted an off road ride all the way to the Cape Town KTM Bash at the Bushmans Cave Weekend and had asked me to work out a route and come along as a guide.
So I got a few WD to go with me and we made up our own excursion to the Cederberg for 3 days.
We were all to ride up on Friday to the KTM Bash and we would carry on to our destination.

The WD Guide group was Camelman ( KTM950) , Tok-tokkie (BMW Dakar) ,Wayneh(KTM525Adv)
and XT660R(me)

The Bushmans cave party was, Gavin bradley (KTM640Adv) ,XXX(KTM990S) , Go Girl (KTM950) and Riaan(KTM640Adv)

We rode up the tar to the Kalbaskraal turn off and on to Darling , Tok-Tokkie took 2 falls in the sand on the Darling strech of railway line.
The next strech  From Darling to Hpefield saw XXX cristen the new bike when he decided to go up a bank of riversand under a bridge and his back wheel slipped on black mud.

18042008006.jpg

XXX Breaking in the new bike

18042008007.jpg

18042008008.jpg

Riaan and XXX in the back ground

18042008009.jpg

Cooling Down Under The Bridge

18042008011.jpg

Just around the corner was a 20m very deep sandy section , and Riaan was all but spinning his way through there , Tok-Tokkie went down there again.
Once in Hopefield we refueled and made for the hotel for a cold beer and a hamberger.( Gee , you guys must go to that pub and check out all the pics on the walls , what a laugh)

18042008012.jpg

WD Hit Hopfield

5 kays or so out of Hopefield we were on the gravel again , plenty of sand on this road.The 3 of us up front , Camelman ,Riaan and myself alll had an encounter with a 90 degree bend , Camelman made it around the corner with brakes and gas , Riaan didnt and ploughed straight into a field and I was just behind him in the dust and followed his track also into the field.
We then crossed the Berg river and were about 3kays up from the river when all went horribly wrong.

We took turns at opening and closing the farm gates.Camelman and I were sweeping.
He stayed to close the gate.
I came around the corner in very deep sand (at speed) and there was this farm bakkie , where it had come from , lord knows.

I rode behind him for a while , but needed to get past as the sand was getting deeper and suddenly he moved off the track to the right and was driving there for a time.I thought  , cool , he`s giving me a gap , and hit the gas.I was doing about 80km/hr at the time due to the deep sand.
I accelerated at a dizzy speed and as I got next to him , he turned left and I hit his ball bar.
They say I flew 10m before I hit the ground.
With the injuries I have , I must have done a sumersault and landed on my LH part on my lower back.My RH lower ribs and stomach collected the mirror and bars on the way over, My RH foot , I broke No. 3 & 4 Bones to the toes and my LH foot is bruised under the heel.
At that  precise moment that I went down , Tok-tokkie picked up a tank slap 2 km ahead of us and bailed at over 100 km/hour.
He broke his collarbone and was badly concused.

Camelman made sure I was still breething , then raced ahead to catch up with Gavin Bradley(who was a medic on the Desert Run this month)
He was with Tok-tokkie , he staybilized tok and then came back to me.All I can say is, it is a privillage to ride with a wilddog like him, he takes charge of the situation so well and organises everybody and gives his patients the best assistance a person could ask for.

Thanks Gavin Bradley , you the best bru (as Camelman would say)

Anyway , they loaded me into the back of the bakkie and I passed out for a few minutes.
We then went and collected Tok-tokkie.
If you have ever riden a" roof" ride in a bedford tuck in the army , try doing it on your back , thats swollen and a broken foot. for 30 km to Pieketberg

Every one was so good.XXX stood in front of the sun to keep it out of my face, that was like an eclipse(have u seen how big that guy is?)
Camelman  and  Wayneh stayed with me and tok-tokkie all the time.
They took us to the Piketberg Hospital.
There  were two nurses there, they took our blood pressure and gave us a Voltaren injection.
Camelman asked for the docter and was told that he cant come now.
The x-rays were closed.

They phoned our wives , who came to fetch us and took us to hospital in Cape Town.
Tok-tokkie had bad concussion.

He askes me , Andy! where are we now ? I tell him, he` says I broke my collarbone and then he asks" why are u here?  , did I cause you to fall ?
5 minutes later , Andy , Where are we ?, I broke my collarbone.
But he is a tough man , never moaned or complained once.

The 2 nurses had dissapeared now and had apparently gone off shift , we were wheeled out that hospital with out anyone even being there.
Camelman and Wayneh used some of my medical kit to make a sling for tok-tokkie.

Back to Cape Town , and at 22h30 , I left the Panorama hospital after the most painful X-Rays I have ever had.

The pics I will have to fill in later.
Many thanks to all the WD that looked after and took care of Tok-tokkie and myself.
Andy