DR 650 as a trails bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
Ja, ja, I know it will never be a true dirt bike like your KTM two stroke, but that is not what I have in mind - mostly because it is impossible to make it into one and, secondly, I lack the skill to ride an offroad bike to its potential. ;D

Also do not want to convert it into a DS bike - done that and have the T-shirt.

So I am thinking - what I like riding when off-road is some fire roads, some tweespoor. Normally I would ride that with my TW, but sometimes some range and power is lekka too.

Look on the web and not much there - everyone is busy making it a DS which, putting stuff on it. I want to make it lighter and meaner. So far -

Plastic tank (bought with the Clark already on) - nice size and light
GSXR exhaust
Livened it up a bit - raised needle, unifilter and correct heat range plugs
peg lowering kit from flying brick
handle bar raisers from chopperpilot
Renthal bars
removed rear footpegs
removed top chain roller
larger sprockets 16/48 giving the same ratio (0.33) as applicable to a 14/42 mod which is one tooth down in front from 15 sprocket
520 chain
removed rear tailpiece - tail tidy
removed side stand cut-out switch and disabled clutch cut out switch.
agressive knobblies - T63 front and D606 rear with HD tubes

want to remove the grab bars and replace with an integrated very narrow and light rack. Small, light but bright indicators, better rear view mirrors, etc. Perhaps a lighterront light assembly. I actually prefer the ugly american rear light so will keep that. Cheap handguards loosely fitted. In a fall they get damaged in any event and I do not want to brake my wrist on them - better still would be some levers that would not break (if there is such a thing).

Any other things that I can do to make it lighter and more dirt worthy?