The Wifes NEW old Jonway scooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ou Krokkedil

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F700GS
My brother in law picked up a Jonway 150cc scooter from a rich person that bought his son a car because he is now in matric and cant ride a scoot any longer.  ???

We looked at the scoot and offered him what we think will be a reasonable amount for the scoot R3k as a new one is about R13k. he accepted without any hassles and after we paid him he told us he bought it for R1k from this guy.  :'(

Well we drove it home about 20km without any problem and then started to look for a new break light because the lens is damaged. it is obvious that they left it outside for a while.

I did the obvious and change the oil in the engine and transmission to ensure that is fine, I also cleaned the air filter and spark plug.  The scoot use to fire up at the touch of a button but then we left it to stand for about a week while using the big bike and cage for work. I don't want to drive the scoot with the rear light lens broken although all the lights are working, I don't want to get the cops on my back.

Well Saturday the scoot swings over but does not want to start. Checked and realized it is flooding the plug. I checked to see if I have spark and I do although a bit weak in terms of my car.

I then started to do some research on the net regarding this Chinese scooters engines and got a complete service manual on the internet and a lot of people saying that the electronic choke is usually the big culprit in these bikes and also how to test it for proper functioning.

Well I pulled the bike apart yesterday, removed the carb. stripped it apart checked everything and tested the automatic choke. Cleaned all the parts and blew all the passages clean with my compressor. After assembling everything I tried to start again, but now joy, I checked and again the plug is wet, very wet. by this time the scoots battery was flat and it did not want to swing fast.

I hooked up the charger, washed my hands and then sat on the couch with the tablet thinking what did I do wrong, or what am I missing. Now by this time everything else pointed to the sparkplug not having enough spark or compression.

Well an hour and a half later I walked over to the scoot, switched it on and press the button and immediately it fired up. I switched it off, turn it on and again, it fired up.  :eek:. Now I am totally confused.

Today at 5 it was about 15 degrees outside, I walked to the scoot, switch it on, one touch and it idles. I then got on to the scoot and used it to drive to work.

Can a battery that is dropping to 10.5v while starting cause these scoots not to fire up??

The other question is that I get a lot of different opinions regarding the oil I should use, some people say normal 20w-40 is fine because it gets changed every 1000km and others say I must use 10w-30 bike oil. What do you people think.