Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 Exhaust question  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: DR650 Exhaust question
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2015, 10:36:15 am »
As die exhaust port so klein is, help dit dan enigsins om die header weld te grind, behalwe as jy natuurlik 'n vol gas flow op die head doen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chopper

Dit is 100% hoekoem ek die vraag gevra het. ek het fotos gesien op die interwebs waar daar werlik baie groot obstructive blobs is, maar in 99% van die geval is dit nie so nie, en dan maak dit nie veel sin om die weld weg te grind nie.

I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2015, 10:39:38 am »
You should only grind the weld's end blob (if there is a significant one), not the whole bead. Grinding the bead weakens the weld significantly.

Lecap
I did not have a significant blob, but also did not grind the weld away completely, left about 1mm there still.

agree that this could be the hottest part of the exhaust and would require a proper weld for structural integrity.

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2015, 10:45:26 am »
As die exhaust port so klein is, help dit dan enigsins om die header weld te grind, behalwe as jy natuurlik 'n vol gas flow op die head doen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chopper

Dit is 100% hoekoem ek die vraag gevra het. ek het fotos gesien op die interwebs waar daar werlik baie groot obstructive blobs is, maar in 99% van die geval is dit nie so nie, en dan maak dit nie veel sin om die weld weg te grind nie.

:thumleft:
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2015, 11:08:20 am »
No blob = no grind.

Now go and put your bike together so we can go for a ride ;D

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2015, 11:55:07 am »
Heres an interesting read:

http://drriders.com/topic2360-30.html

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 11:56:26 am »
No blob = no grind.

Now go and put your bike together so we can go for a ride ;D

as dit van my af gehang het was sy al lankal aan mekaar...

dis n fyn balanseerings oeffening tussen haar, mamma gelukkig hou en tyd....

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:02 am »
Heres an interesting read:

http://drriders.com/topic2360-30.html

What scares me about this article is that the author does not see a gasket even if he takes a VERY clear picture of it ::)

If you're really that hot in pursuit of some extra power you should maybe DIR and cut the flange off the header below the clamping ring, machine a new flange on the lathe with an inner diameter matching the port and then TIG weld it back on from the outside. If you do this right you will have a 100% quality strong weld with no significant protrusion to the inside and very little protrusion to the outside. The problem with the OEM weld is it's MIG and done from the inside likely for cost reasons.
Grinding around on a weld is a no no. It's kind of acceptable to clean off an over sized end blob. As long as it's not a structural weld.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Matie spero

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »
here's also something interesting:
but requires an extreme technical knowledge:

http://dairally.net/daihard/chas/MiscCalculators/DaiPipes.htm

and some more (I found this probably the most useful):

http://hotrodenginetech.com/porting-pointers/

anybody keen to do some maths????????