Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is bigger better  (Read 14960 times)

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
Re: Is bigger better
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2015, 04:14:38 pm »
As Xaviera Hollander said in the 70s --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xaviera_Hollander

Its always good to have it bigger, but only if you know how to use it :biggrin:

Online Wolzak

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Previously Offshore
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2015, 04:28:42 pm »
I read that book as a young Man, it was an Eye opener and was of course banned by the Government of the day. ;D
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2015, 04:31:51 pm »
As Xaviera Hollander said in the 70s --- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xaviera_Hollander

Its always good to have it bigger, but only if you know how to use it :biggrin:

I preferred Deidre Holland   :ricky:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deidre_Holland
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »
Yes, bigger is better.

If you ride a small bike you are a loser.

I have a permanent neon L on my forehead. :eek7: :imaposer:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2015, 05:09:51 pm »

I have a permanent neon L on my forehead. :eek7: :imaposer:

So bigger is better,  because there is no way the L that describes you can fit on your forehead.  :lol8:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »
Same old argument just never dies  ::)

I'm always amazed how upset people get about this issue, especially when some one says a small bike is a good choice - its immediately taken as critical judgement of bigger bikes, or their riders.  The reverse does not seem to be the case - which is a bit weird?

Personally I prefer smaller, lighter bikes and I actually don't like big bikes at all, with a grudging acceptance of the 950/990 range, having seen how well they perform under competent riders.  The few big bikes I've ridden (950, 1150, 1200), have not made me want one at all.  They just felt big and heavy and difficult to handle to me.  People talk of the extra power, but I've ridden a GSX1000R which was very powerful, felt like an over grown 50, being light and nimble, and bloody scary in terms of its pure performance - a big DS bike just doesn't feel like that to me - just big and clumsy. 

My next bike is going to be even smaller than my current bike (probably a 450 or even a 300).  But that's just my choice.

I know other people don't like smaller bikes, for their own reasons, which is fine.  And many people cant wait to tell me whats wrong with my bike.  As usual its just different strokes  :thumleft::biggrin:

Last point:

Something to remember, not that long ago a 500 scrambler was considered absolutely insane, and only for the real manne. Now a 750 gets poo-poohed as a girls bike.

Just remember that 500 scrambler was a two stroke racing bike, which is completely different thing to a 750 fourstroke tourer, especially when the powerband kicks in - and even more so without disc brakes  :biggrin: :o :deal:

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2015, 08:33:51 pm »
If we were all car fans instead of bikers, then the bigbike okes would be in Valiants, and us smallbike okes in McLarens. :3some:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2015, 08:37:25 pm »
If we were all car fans instead of bikers, then the bigbike okes would be in Veyrons , and us smallbike okes in McLarens. :3some:

Fixed.   :peepwall:

These McLarens?  Hot off-road,  are they?   :imaposer:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 08:38:29 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2015, 08:38:43 pm »
If we were all car fans instead of bikers, then the bigbike okes would be in Veyrons , and us smallbike okes in McLarens. :3some:

Fixed.

Damn cheat. :xxbah:

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2015, 08:40:22 pm »
If we were all car fans instead of bikers, then the bigbike okes would be in Valiants, and us smallbike okes in McLarens. :3some:

Or Mini's?  You can't really compare a single to a F1 car.  GS to Valiant, especially the suspension kind of fits   :P
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2015, 08:43:13 pm »

Or Mini's?  You can't really compare a single to a F1 car.  GS to Valiant, especially the suspension kind of fits   :P

:imaposer: :imaposer: :ricky:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 08:51:16 pm »

And your small bikes are as hot off-road as said Maclaren,  eh?    :imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline tgg

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2015, 08:55:31 pm »
Yes, bigger is better.

If you ride a small bike you are a loser.

You are confusing the issue, if you have a small dick you are a loser and need a big bike to compensate, Soos in Landcruiser boet.

Die ouens met klein dingetjies koop die grootste bikes en meanste karre.

ons ander sit maar net agteroor en geniet wat ons het

Offline Tony the Bony

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • what a bony
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:56 pm »
Get the 660
Ex Tony Varadero....don't have a Vara anymore

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2015, 12:00:56 am »
Fark, was looking the whole evening to see which bikes are currently being sold. What a disappointment.

Seems all sense of simple elegant charm are replaced by complicated plumbing resembling a bike.  Fark, there is nothing that jumps out and say - im sexy, buy me.

I thought now was the time to make classic, reliable, powerful (lish) mid size all rounder classics.  Combine all what is good with modern technology with old style classic looks.  But no, its all farked. Style in bike design is dead .

I smaak a transverse v twin configuration, but the Moto Guzzi v7 range is just to mandane. Nice looking though, but not really my style.  The Yamaha Mt 09 is ok, but a triple is one cylinder to many and it still look like a plumbing job. There is nothing in the d/s market that tickles my fancy - not in the 650 or liter range.  I'm so bored with it all ;D

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:01 am »
Fark, was looking the whole evening to see which bikes are currently being sold. What a disappointment.

Seems all sense of simple elegant charm are replaced by complicated plumbing resembling a bike.  Fark, there is nothing that jumps out and say - im sexy, buy me.

I thought now was the time to make classic, reliable, powerful (lish) mid size all rounder classics.  Combine all what is good with modern technology with old style classic looks.  But no, its all farked. Style in bike design is dead .

I smaak a transverse v twin configuration, but the Moto Guzzi v7 range is just to mandane. Nice looking though, but not really my style.  The Yamaha Mt 09 is ok, but a triple is one cylinder to many and it still look like a plumbing job. There is nothing in the d/s market that tickles my fancy - not in the 650 or liter range.  I'm so bored with it all ;D

The new Ducati scrambler kinda fits your ideas  :3some:  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:06:26 am by Rough Rider »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2015, 07:11:09 am »
I like an open, clean and uncomplicated design in a motorcycle. The centre point of a bike is it's engine, and it is a great shame to hide it away, thus I am not one for fairings much.

Of course, on a superbike a fairing becomes part of the tool, this I can understand.

On a D/S bike like the 990's and the 1190, the fairings become needed because the bikes can cruise at speeds before unknown in the adventure world.

These fairings add greatly to your maintenance cost, both in service times and crash cost.

It is an irony that beautiful engines are hidden behind fairings, and the ugliest engine in all of motorcycle history are too protrusive in nature to be hidden.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2015, 07:15:36 am »

It is an irony that beautiful engines are hidden behind fairings, and the ugliest engine in all of motorcycle history are too protrusive in nature to be hidden.

Net gedink jy lei in na 'n situasie waar jy bieg die Boxer maak jou rasend van opgewondenheid omdat dit so mooi sigbaar is!   :imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2015, 07:16:06 am »
I like an open, clean and uncomplicated design in a motorcycle. The centre point of a bike is it's engine, and it is a great shame to hide it away, thus I am not one for fairings much.

Of course, on a superbike a fairing becomes part of the tool, this I can understand.

On a D/S bike like the 990's and the 1190, the fairings become needed because the bikes can cruise at speeds before unknown in the adventure world.

These fairings add greatly to your maintenance cost, both in service times and crash cost.

Another dig at BMW, love it  :imaposer:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2015, 07:37:25 am »

Seems all sense of simple elegant charm are replaced by complicated plumbing resembling a bike.  Fark, there is nothing that jumps out and say - im sexy, buy me.

I thought now was the time to make classic, reliable, powerful (lish) mid size all rounder classics.  Combine all what is good with modern technology with old style classic looks.  But no, its all farked. Style in bike design is dead .

I smaak a transverse v twin configuration, but the Moto Guzzi v7 range is just to mandane. Nice looking though, but not really my style.  The Yamaha Mt 09 is ok, but a triple is one cylinder to many and it still look like a plumbing job. There is nothing in the d/s market that tickles my fancy - not in the 650 or liter range.  I'm so bored with it all ;D

The new Ducati scrambler kinda fits your ideas  :3some:  

Close, but not. The whole retro thing in a kind of cafe racer is not my style. The cafe racer look is frankly boring and over exposed.

Just nice clean lines, high handles without being a chopper or having monkey bars, but kind of leaving the impression its on its way to becoming a chopper, but no chopper rake and drop ass. Twin motor, first price a transverse vtwin.