Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is bigger better  (Read 14920 times)

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
Re: Is bigger better
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2015, 10:06:31 pm »
For me and my type of riding bigger is better :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2015, 10:06:40 pm »
I win this argument !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nlq561aT08

Evil Knievel  used a Harley XR750 for all his jumps.   

He broke every single bone in his body, apparently. And he is dead...  :deal:

Indeed.   He died at age 69 of pulmonary phibrosis.   He also broke every bone in his body during his career as a daredevil.   That brings me to the point you missed by a couple. of miles.   The guys in the video is bragging about going for a work record jump with a Harley.   Been done.   In the 70's.

#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2015, 11:24:53 pm »
Took the old 850 out today,, man I still love the old heavy girl !
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Offline WildWood

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Real dual-sport adventure tours
« Reply #203 on: April 06, 2015, 10:45:19 am »
Although I'll beat the small bike is the only bike for adventure riding drum forever I do see the appeal of the big monsters. I've had the use of an 1190R ( thanx KTM Cape Town) for the past week and I must say all that power and presence is awesome on the road. For a big 1200cc beast it is amazingly nimble, turns and stops like a bike half its size and inspires confidence way above my skill level , and I guess most on this forum. As a tourer I can't believe there is anything in its class and I've been lucky enough to ride most. I have a couple of mates that sing its praises for its off-road prowess as well , but I think I'll stick to my guns and insist it isn't an adventure bike. A fantastic all over tourer but I wouldn't head into the unknown on my own on one , or risk deep water crossings. To much electronic stuff for an anachronism like me , who still thinks the last great adventure bikes were the DR and XR's of ten years ago.

But for a blast down to Greyton , or just around the peninsula this thing is the dogs bollocks . If you're happy with the limitations of its size and complexity then this is a uber tourer. Just beware that although it has a host of safety gizmos, when you hit something at 200kph on this it's the same as with any old bike and you die. I'll stick to actually looking around and enjoying the view on my single at a sedate 120kph and then tackling those U ridden gems , knowing I can pull my bike out of a hole or drag it over a stream on my own. And when we announce the next 20km will be thick beach sand I get to laugh at the screwed up fear on the faces of the 1200 riders while I'm about to have a gas.

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #204 on: April 06, 2015, 01:22:57 pm »
just to upset some people, an Ausie put a 1290 Duke motor into his 1190R
https://plus.google.com/100279604055026404585/posts/6TFmPns6bKc