Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Is bigger better  (Read 14954 times)

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: Is bigger better
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2015, 06:54:47 am »
Find yourself a nice 950/990 and then you have a great compromise.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2015, 07:12:17 am »
Find yourself a nice 950/990 and then you have a great compromise.

This may be a great compromise, but only between heavy, big bikes. A 950/990 falls inbetween a GS800/Truimph 800 and the huge XT-Z's/GS1200's.

Of course I fully realize that your riding is a personal thing, and you decide what you feel happy with, but in the light of most D/S riders always proclaiming their loathing of tar roads I cannot see why the huge bikes are so popular?
Maybe riders are fonder of tar than they'll readily admit?

My firm opinion is that the true D/S or adventure bikes are in the maximum 701cc class,single cylinders, any bigger and I believe you veer towards the streetbike class,
with resultant limitations.

Offline StuartC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 07:23:04 am »
There were 990's on our last Swazi tour in fact there were 1190's as well, they supprised the hell out of me as to where they could go !
Life is too short to ride a Honda

Online KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2015, 07:58:55 am »
More schools opening up. We have the following:

Big Balls school - only many hp will suffice, since they have big balls
Many kms school - must be able to do 1000kms plus a day - donno for what
Gadgets school - must have the latest
Two up school - must be able to carry two people or 50 kgs in luggage. Not that often ride two up. Just to warrant the size

The the biggest school of all.....

The poser school - not much of a biker, but look the part. Right latest bike, right twat suit, best helmet with neck brace, etc etc - since safety is posing.  Never ride the 160 hp machine more than 140, but good knowing it has the horses, never really go on real trips, but have mates who do it on a similar machine.

Then the smaller, better schools (you know who you are)....

Those who actually ride your bikes the way it is supposed to get ridden.  Okes that ride those big 990s in he Kalahari sands to the National bash.  Try to keep op with the SE's. Etc etc.  well done. 

Imo its important to get closer to 100% out of a smaller/more sedate bike, than forever being a fearful 20% on a bike which is just too much for you.  But you at least look the part. Not many people know you are a 20%ter

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2015, 08:01:25 am »
There were 990's on our last Swazi tour in fact there were 1190's as well, they supprised the hell out of me as to where they could go !
You can take any bike almost anywhere. It just depends how much you would like to suffer, physically and financially.

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2015, 08:05:37 am »
You can take any bike almost anywhere. It just depends how much you would like to suffer, physically and financially.

There is a huge difference in technical terrain between a 990 and 1200.

Online BFG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Ride- crash-fix-repeat
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2015, 08:27:29 am »
Going from a XTZ to a 990R was the best decision I've ever made. Being a larger fellow, 6'5" and 125kg, I always found that the 660 was under powered. I'll happily ride sand for hours, tight and twisty single tracks or rocky, technical trails on my 990.
I know my limits on the bike (don't think I've found the bike's limits yet) and I will be the first to admit that it is not a plastic or even a 690 but I am yet to go on a ride where I have not been able to follow a smaller single. In saying that, I was extremely impressed with my cousin's DR650 but would I want one as my only bike? Not a chance but maybe as a 3rd bike.

It's funny how all the guys on small bikes say smaller is better and vice verse for the guys on the bigger bikes. I'm, surprised the rulers haven't come out to finalize the dick measuring contest.

My answer the OP's question, a 660 will go everywhere an 1150 will go and possibly more. It might not be as comfortable on the long roads but you'll soon adjust your riding style to accommodate this. I don't think that the 660Z is in the same class as a 690/610 or even an XR as it is to heavy.

At the end of the day, as said numerous times, it really is about personnel preference. If someone can afford to ride the latest and greatest bike and that bike suits their riding then who is anyone else to judge him?

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2015, 08:33:32 am »
The poser school - not much of a biker, but look the part. Right latest bike, right twat suit, best helmet with neck brace, etc etc - since safety is posing.  Never ride the 160 hp machine more than 140, but good knowing it has the horses, never really go on real trips, but have mates who do it on a similar machine.

To me, the above statement alone makes the writer a poser.  I can think of even worse names, but alas, then a banning would certainly be on the cards.   :pot:

Bikers are already a very small minority on our roads, yet we insist on breaking this small group into even smaller groups.  It makes no sense.   ???

Why would we want to call each other names?  The "better school" .... the "poser" school.  Yada yada fishpaste school .....

#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Online ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:28 am »

Two up school - must be able to carry two people or 50 kgs in luggage. Not that often ride two up. Just to warrant the size

Those who actually ride your bikes the way it is supposed to get ridden.  Okes that ride those big 990s in he Kalahari sands to the National bash.  Try to keep op with the SE's. Etc etc.  well done. 

Imo its important to get closer to 100% out of a smaller/more sedate bike, than forever being a fearful 20% on a bike which is just too much for you.  But you at least look the part. Not many people know you are a 20%ter

I must have a multiple personality!!!! I am in all of those you mentioned.
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2015, 08:37:53 am »
I must have a multiple personality!!!! I am in all of those you mentioned.

As long as you and your personalities enjoy your bikes, who cares?   :imaposer:
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Bensien

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2015, 08:39:39 am »
My wife and I have toured every province in this country together, doing highways, back roads, dirt roads and places where we carried the luggage through and she walked while I battled the bike through. This is our idea of DS/Adventure biking.

My personal requirement is for a bike that can cruise above the speed limit two up with luggage, with enough in reserve to safely overtake. This rules out the singles and small twins.

The next requirement is that I can take it with my limited abilities through most of the terrain we are likely to encounter. This rules out most of the big 1200ís. At the moment I ride a 990 with upgraded suspension, because right now it is the best bike for my requirements. Other people have different preferences and requirements and thatís fine with me, as long as they donít try to tell me what I should be enjoying  and what and where I should be riding.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2015, 08:46:19 am »
Going from a XTZ to a 990R was the best decision I've ever made. Being a larger fellow, 6'5" and 125kg, I always found that the 660 was under powered. I'll happily ride sand for hours, tight and twisty single tracks or rocky, technical trails on my 990.
I know my limits on the bike (don't think I've found the bike's limits yet) and I will be the first to admit that it is not a plastic or even a 690 but I am yet to go on a ride where I have not been able to follow a smaller single. In saying that, I was extremely impressed with my cousin's DR650 but would I want one as my only bike? Not a chance but maybe as a 3rd bike.

It's funny how all the guys on small bikes say smaller is better and vice verse for the guys on the bigger bikes. I'm, surprised the rulers haven't come out to finalize the dick measuring contest.

My answer the OP's question, a 660 will go everywhere an 1150 will go and possibly more. It might not be as comfortable on the long roads but you'll soon adjust your riding style to accommodate this. I don't think that the 660Z is in the same class as a 690/610 or even an XR as it is to heavy.

At the end of the day, as said numerous times, it really is about personnel preference. If someone can afford to ride the latest and greatest bike and that bike suits their riding then who is anyone else to judge him?

I agree with you completely. I just wonder why, if a rider is happy onhis big bike and the terrain he chooses to ride, is it so important to try and maintain that a big bike can go anywhere a smaller one can??
We all know that where even a 990 starts struggling, a XT600/690/DR650 is not even in it's stride yet.

Is it so difficult to accept that your 'top-of-the-bike-foodchain" ride is lacking in some area?  Just like my 600 is certainly lacking in some areas?

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2015, 08:49:49 am »

I agree with you completely. I just wonder why, if a rider is happy onhis big bike and the terrain he chooses to ride, is it so important to try and maintain that a big bike can go anywhere a smaller one can??
We all know that where even a 990 starts struggling, a XT600/690/DR650 is not even in it's stride yet.

Is it so difficult to accept that your 'top-of-the-bike-foodchain" ride is lacking in some area?  Just like my 600 is certainly lacking in some areas?

Ha ha Dan, I cannot not think of one area where your 600 would not be lacking  :pot:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2015, 08:58:24 am »

It seems it is no more, or less difficult to accept that some people enjoy bikes, other than small DS bikes, or even bikes that are not DS at all.  Strange.   ???
#33 #BRADICAL!
#40 #DIVEBOMB!

Offline Dodgyloss

• Whiskey throttle pilot
  • Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Oh look sand, I love san@#$^W%^*$
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2015, 09:39:16 am »
Is it so difficult to accept that your 'top-of-the-bike-foodchain" ride is lacking in some area?  Just like my 600 is certainly lacking in some areas?

How about a new approach:

What do you ride:

2014 XT660Z

Road usage:

Up to 800km in a day, around 600km.

Road review:

Could do with some extra grunt, but I'm still happy with a pillion / full load. Fuel range is great and it makes a decent commuter. Comfortable for long stretches although buffeting with stock windshield can be annoying. Sits very comfortably @ 140km/h. Can be pushed up to 160km/h reasonably, tops out around 185km/h - Take a damn long time to get there.

Offroad usage:

Lots of soft sand, lots of gravel some rocks.

Offroad Review:

Heavy in the sand but can be finessed into doing some pretty amazing things. Gravel is, well... The bike is faster than I'm comfortable going on gravel so I'm not left wanting there. Rocks... The suspension isn't great and rock-riding shows this up pretty badly. Too technical to power through, to heavy to rock-hop - Its' the only type of riding the bike doesn't seem handle well.

Grin factor/Other:

I don't get off the bike with white knuckles and adrenalin, but it does put a smile on my face. The machine is far more capable than the man (at least for me) and that's really all I need. It's surprisingly agile for a underpowered overweight bike and holds it's own against plastics in the tight single track / sand (no jokes! - I'm not a very good rider and I mostly kept up with the CT Quarry guys on 250-400s in the bush).

The XT600Z is a good all-rounder and that means it suffers from compromise-itis, which I'm completely okay with. I have never once felt the bike was 'limiting' my capabilities or my enjoyment. If anything it's showed up my limitations as rider and has 'encouraged' me to concentrate these. I do plan to buy a plastic, but I can honestly say I'll take my XT anywhere I'll take a plastic, albeit with a little but more subtlety and finesse.

It's also a rock-solid platform that doesn't break, it has great range and... lets be honest, it turns heads when parked.

There are days I  want something more powerful. There are days I want something more agile. There are *NO* days I don't want my trusty Tenere.

So, tell me about your machine?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:43:39 am by Dodgyloss »
78 Honda Chaly / 89 KDX200 / 2014 XT660Z

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2015, 09:42:15 am »

It seems it is no more, or less difficult to accept that some people enjoy bikes, other than small DS bikes, or even bikes that are not DS at all.  Strange.   ???

I also find this strange. I love superbikes, yet on here they are the measles.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2015, 09:48:31 am »

Ha ha Dan, I cannot not think of one area where your 600 would not be lacking  :pot:

This is, besides blatant trolling, also blasphemous. :imaposer: :imaposer:
This thread will be moved to R+P. :pot:

Offline Coxwain

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Real men ride a pig...
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2015, 09:49:54 am »
Is it so difficult to accept that your 'top-of-the-bike-foodchain" ride is lacking in some area?  Just like my 600 is certainly lacking in some areas?

How about a new approach:

What do you ride:

2014 XT660Z

Road usage:

Up to 800km in a day, around 600km.

Road review:

Could do with some extra grunt, but I'm still happy with a pillion / full load. Fuel range is great and it makes a decent commuter. Comfortable for long stretches although buffeting with stock windshield can be annoying. Sits very comfortably @ 140km/h. Can be pushed up to 160km/h reasonably, tops out around 185km/h - Take a damn long time to get there.

Offroad usage:

Lots of soft sand, lots of gravel some rocks.

Offroad Review:

Heavy in the sand but can be finessed into doing some pretty amazing things. Gravel is, well... The bike is faster than I'm comfortable going on gravel so I'm not left wanting there. Rocks... The suspension isn't great and rock-riding shows this up pretty badly. Too technical to power through, to heavy to rock-hop - Its' the only type of riding the bike doesn't seem handle well.

Grin factor/Other:

I don't get off the bike with white knuckles and adrenalin, but it does put a smile on my face. The machine is far more capable than the man (at least for me) and that's really all I need. It's surprisingly agile for a underpowered overweight bike and holds it's own against plastics in the tight single track / sand (no jokes! - I'm not a very good rider and I mostly kept up with the CT Quarry guys on 250-400s in the bush).

The XT600Z is a good all-rounder and that means it suffers from compromise-itis, which I'm completely okay with. I have never once felt the bike was 'limiting' my capabilities or my enjoyment. If anything it's showed up my limitations as rider and has 'encouraged' me to concentrate these. I do plan to buy a plastic, but I can honestly say I'll take my XT anywhere I'll take a plastic, albeit with a little but more subtlety and finesse.

It's also a rock-solid platform that doesn't break, it has great range and... lets be honest, it turns heads when parked.

There are days I  want something more powerful. There are days I want something more agile. There are *NO* days I don't want my trusty Tenere.

So, tell me about your machine?

Thanks Dodgyloss

That's the information I was looking for  :thumleft: :thumleft:   You da man  :biggrin:

PIG LITE....Honda NX 650
Thel PIG... BMW R 1150 GS
The Black Bitch ...Yamaha XT 660 R Black Magic ....Yamaha XT 660 Z
Found my next ride .....BMW 1150 GS ...a mans bike

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:44 am »

Spot on :thumleft:
Although I must admit to fit in the category 1000 miles a day. I have the bad habit not to stop,drink water or eat while I am riding on a trip alone. I know it is stupid and don't know why either I get so carried away.  :xxbah:
And yes there are a few oke's that can ride the big bikes it seem anywhere,respect to them  :thumleft:
(they are few and far between though)  :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Online BFG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Ride- crash-fix-repeat
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2015, 10:49:31 am »

I will be the first to admit that the big bikes are not suited to very technical riding. Hell, a couple of weekends ago I had a competition with with laaitie on a 65 to see who could get the furthest up a big sand dune and I only beat him by about 3m :o
But I've made it to the top of the same dune on a 450.

I will not say that my bike can go anywhere because I know it can't. But my 990 is to me what your 600 is to you which is ideal for what I want.