WC BASH TANKWA 2015 - One Hell of a ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIMMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
WC BASH TANKWA 2015 - One Hell of a ride

Somehow you see these rides appear on the planning a ride threads and always start of thinking of reasons why you cannot make it for such and such a date.  :-\
I only decided to go about three weeks before the Bash.  Once I decided to go I planned a trip that would leave a grin for weeks to come. ;)
The night before the route was planned and loaded, the kit ready and bike full, then the heavens opened up and we had RAIN.

Thursday morning I awoke to the smell of freedom this was it – Day 1 of many

I left Colesberg and set off for Richmond. At Richmond I turned off onto the Victoria West road.

I enjoyed every minute of those long open sections

IMG_2958 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_2959 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_2967 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

Along the way I saw this HUGE tortoise and could not help taking a picture of it, thinking this usually means rain...
IMG_2964 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_2965 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

At some small siding I took these pictures of the old fort – must have been an important junction at some point in history

IMG_2968 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_2969 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

As I drove into Vic West I noticed my side stand spring took a hit and was hanging loosely – thinking of replacing it I stopped at the first place that looked the part. In true Karoo style plenty of pliers but no spring – it would just need to last. :thumleft:

IMG_2979 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_2981 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_2982 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

From Vic West I headed to Loxton.  In the middle of nowhere I found this “tower” would love to know what this is for – fire lookout?  Couldn’t help wonder what this structure would have cost at Nkandla.

IMG_2986 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

This was a nice road with some driffies and tight turns ;D

IMG_2991 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

Arriving at Loxton I filled up at the Koop wit probably the friendliest pump attendant I have ever met.  I asked him what is Loxton know for....  His answer “Tiki en Selma”

IMG_2995 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

Beautiful church in Loxton

IMG_2994 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

I left for Fraserburg – long open sections, I made good time.

IMG_2996 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

Fraserburg (as on a previous RR) remains a clean well kept town, while filling up I chatted to one of the farmers and decided not to take the R356 to Sutherland but rather the Rantepad running just South of it.

IMG_3001 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_2958 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr

As the open sections so far had me making up time I was game for it.

IMG_3006 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_3008 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_3009 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_3011 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_3013 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr
IMG_3015 by jeannimmo27, on Flickr