Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Duke turns 92. What a Legend.  (Read 1453 times)

Online Vintage_Mania

The Duke turns 92. What a Legend.
« on: March 29, 2015, 01:38:10 pm »
Six time 500cc World Champion and six time winner of the Isle of Man TT, Geoff Duke turns 92 today. The man is a true legend and also the inventor of the one piece leather suit.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MBZTuQ3ZOfQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MBZTuQ3ZOfQ</a>
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:21:13 pm by Vintage_Mania »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: The Duke turns 92. What a Legend.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:52:22 pm »
 :patch:

Online Vintage_Mania

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 07:21:58 pm »
Sorry, fixed.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »
Thank you, yes a true legend.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 10:09:06 pm »
Best photo of the whole video the little blond boy staring up at Duke while signing autographs. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline MooseRider

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
  • Stofpad langs
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 10:24:21 pm »
What a legend.
Laat waai Meraai
As jy dom is moet jy leer!!!
Yamaha DT 125 Enduro (Sold)
Suzuki GT 200X5 (Stolen)
Yamaha XT 600 Z Tenere (Sold)

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 10:33:30 pm »
The days of the true warriors.
Thanks for sharing!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:26:30 am »
That vid brings home exactly why I used to be passionate about road racing in the past, but just can't feel any interest about it nowadays, except maybe for real road racing A La Isle of Man etc.
I know things have to change and progress, probably but not always for good reasons, and I acknowledge the awesome skills of today's riders, but my enthusiasm for the sport is killed largely by the ever increasing homogenization of the rules.
I find it far more pleasing to watch Duke's beautiful riding style, with no knee dragging and arse shifting, no matter how necessary it may be these days to keep a 250 horsepower bike in check.
I preferred it when teams were free to use any make of tyre, any engine configuration with any number of cylinders and gear ratios.
Riders could, and did enter Grand Prix as private individuals, and works teams could consist of one, or even eight riders. Moto Guzzi for example were known to enter riders on singles, Vtwins, fours, and V8's in the same race! Meanwhile they could be competing against 3 cylinder two stroke DKW's, BMW boxers, or British singles, out powered, but winners often, because of their superior chassis.

Okay, now I've given vent to my nostalgic ramblings, let progress continue..............I suppose.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 08:07:47 pm »
That vid brings home exactly why I used to be passionate about road racing in the past, but just can't feel any interest about it nowadays, except maybe for real road racing A La Isle of Man etc.
I know things have to change and progress, probably but not always for good reasons, and I acknowledge the awesome skills of today's riders, but my enthusiasm for the sport is killed largely by the ever increasing homogenization of the rules.
I find it far more pleasing to watch Duke's beautiful riding style, with no knee dragging and arse shifting, no matter how necessary it may be these days to keep a 250 horsepower bike in check.
I preferred it when teams were free to use any make of tyre, any engine configuration with any number of cylinders and gear ratios.
Riders could, and did enter Grand Prix as private individuals, and works teams could consist of one, or even eight riders. Moto Guzzi for example were known to enter riders on singles, Vtwins, fours, and V8's in the same race! Meanwhile they could be competing against 3 cylinder two stroke DKW's, BMW boxers, or British singles, out powered, but winners often, because of their superior chassis.

Okay, now I've given vent to my nostalgic ramblings, let progress continue..............I suppose.

Give this man a Bells!  P.S. I will phone you when my backtrack time machine is ready. Just waiting for my testdog to return from 1804. Although it's been 4 years now. :patch: