Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DAKAR 2016 Thread  (Read 336230 times)

Offline SteveD

Re: DAKAR 2016 Thread
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2015, 12:22:17 pm »
Some stage detail:

(Notice how they go AROUND the salt pan?)

Offline SteveD

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2015, 03:37:45 pm »
The KTM team for 2016.
Will this be the year that they are knocked off their throne? The race numbers are a big, well, bigger than we are used to seeing. And 1 is missing.

(didn't a certain Riaan van Niekerk finish higher than most of you last time he rode? Just saying...)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:40:26 pm by SteveD »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2015, 03:38:53 pm »
Highest ranked KTM rider is Toby Price, looking rather chuffed with himself.

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2015, 03:44:51 pm »
I would also look that chuffed if I were standing next to that bike knowing that it's mine....
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2015, 06:33:00 pm »
The KTM team for 2016.
Will this be the year that they are knocked off their throne? The race numbers are a big, well, bigger than we are used to seeing. And 1 is missing.

(didn't a certain Riaan van Niekerk finish higher than most of you last time he rode? Just saying...)

ZAR ratio ?

Offline boland

« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2015, 06:47:49 pm »
I still think KTM will end on top, unless Goncalves can manage something.

I see Laia is riding the "normal" rally bike, I wonder if she will get the full factory bike for the Dakar?

Offline Rokie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2015, 07:35:18 am »
Aha, so Wessel is 130 - I didn't spot him on the list because he is not listed as ZAF, but LSO for Lesotho - awesome stuff!!!
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Offline SteveD

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2015, 03:42:09 pm »
I would also look that chuffed if I were standing next to that bike knowing that it's mine....

He sounds chuffed:
"Packing like a mad man for my next trip to #Spain! Psyched to ride this beast again 😏
#Dakar2016"

Offline SteveD

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2015, 03:46:38 pm »
As does he:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dT2DYX_VWsY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dT2DYX_VWsY</a>

Offline Rokie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2015, 01:56:11 pm »

On that point, from page 2 of this thread:
"Sponsorship is a fickle thing, I'm sure, but it just seems unfair (maybe fairness has nothing to do with it, but it is frustrating) to me that Riaan isn't getting recognition as a world class rider. Also, I guess the KTM attraction is huge and it is VERY competitive to get any kind of factory support from KTM. It is also arguable that KTM helped Riaan in his Dakar success - so, not easy to move from KTM to any another . . . BUT . . .

Let's compare him with Michael Metge:
Dakar 2013:
Riaan 13th overall on debut
Metge 18th oveall on debut

Dakar 2014:
Riaan 12th overall
Metge 13th overall

Dakar 2015:
Riaan (as privateer with sponsors and some KTM support) ended Stage 7 in 10th, which placed him 12th overall, before his bike gave up (salt damage) on Stage 8
Metge (as a factory rider for Yamaha) got 3rd place in Stage 6, but ended Stage 7 in 17th overall and also withdrew with mechanical on Stage 8

Remarkably similar results, with Riaan pipping Metge, BUT:

Dakar 2016:
Riaan not competing
Metge on the Honda factory team!!

I guess Metge has a higher profile, being a European rider and doing well throughout the year, but still - Riaan has the edge in the Dakar results! . . .  "
Previously owned:
3 x Suzuki DR 600 (1986-ish model)
2 x Honda XR 200 (1985-ish model)

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2015, 05:13:33 pm »
I hope that Riaan will do the Amageza 2015 with us here in ZA. ( For example , its on our MSA racing calendar) ( West Coast Baja ?)
We need heroes like RIAAN to share his international knowledge and brilliance with us mortal SAFFERS locally with a dream to do the big one, ! , the DAKAR !
A mentorship with a lead by example in ZA will be inspirational to the up-and-coming Rally Raiders with SAFFER talent and all backing.
We have the talent, what do we need next ?
Open question ?
Good luck to Kobus and Brian, see you at the finish line !
And to Giniel and Leeroy , the best Bakkie racers in the world. Podium again, though one, it can be done, again ! (Giniel)

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2015, 05:30:49 pm »
. . . .and their crews !

Offline SteveD

« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2015, 09:52:55 pm »
From Kobus's FB:

KOBUS POTGIETER - #125 - KTM

2016: first appearance

When he crashed out of the Australasian Safari back in 2009 and was forced to quit riding bikes for two years, little did Kobus Potgieter know that he would eventually be at the start of the Dakar. The idea however had been in the back of the South African's mind for quite some time. Soon to be 50 years of age (in June), his time has finally come. This naval architect will be part of the Bas Dakar team and will be riding a 450 RR KTM with the only ambition to reach the finish. And that would be quite a reward after so many sacrifices and tough moments.

K.P.: “Recently while putting Dakar stickers on my motorbike, I told a friend: it took me 16 years to get to the Dakar. That's indeed when I started talking about it. This year, for my 50th birthday, it was now or never. But it's a very expensive present. Initially my plan was to compete in all the 2015 World Cup rallies but I injured myself in Abu Dhabi and decided I would go for the Dakar. If I hadn't broken my wrist, I probably wouldn't have gone to the Dakar. This rally calls for more endurance with its long days. I've done specific training with oxygen and I ride every single day of the year. We are lucky enough to have the roads, paths and distances for that in South Africa. I believe my main concern will be the cold and the altitude. For everyone, the ambition is to finish. I need to get into the rhythm and also enjoy myself. I've received tremendous support. I think it's important for the people back home to understand what is involved and all the sacrifices you have to make for a two-week race. Personally, it took me 365 days of rehab in hospitals, 22 motorbikes, 50 000kms of riding, two mariages and over a hundred days of travelling each year to finally get to the start of my first Dakar. But for me being in the desert when I work mostly on water is so refreshing. It's soul searching… »

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2015, 02:57:07 pm »
 :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Kannie meer wag nie HOOT HOOT
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2015, 03:02:01 pm »
Dit gaan n lang wag wees !

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2015, 05:51:04 pm »
Yip, nog langer as Star Wars!  :snorting:
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2015, 09:22:45 pm »
 1 month plus 2 days to go , ?

Offline SteveD

« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2015, 10:17:04 pm »
From DAKAR 2016 SA (3-16 Jan) FB page:

BRIAN BARAGWANATH - #274 - RAPTOR 700 YAMAHA (SA)

He took off on his first Dakar with high expectations. Sadly Brian Baragwanath's first attempt turned sour when he was forced to quit the race as soon as day 2 because of a punctured tyre. The South African returns having learned from his past experience. He will again be riding a Yamaha Raptor 700 and will have at his side two newcoming compatriots as part of team Rhide SA: George Twigge and Edward Barbier. Brian's ultimate goal is the Top 3 although he knows he first needs to finish and be consistent. His other goal and that of his team will be to promote world awareness to the Save the Rhino foundation.
“I've wanted to do the Dakar all my life. I started racing on quads when I was eleven. After competing in the USA, the Dakar was the next big challenge. Last year before my first Dakar, I had a perfect season but once on the event I suffered bad luck from day 1. I first had engine issues on stage 1 and then punctured a tyre the second day but had no support rider to help me out. It's terrible to think that I pulled out of the race because of a punctured tyre. Anyhow, it was a great learning experience. I stayed on the Dakar to support our other rider and got to understand more about the logistics of the race and what we need to do to perform well. I'm therefore showing up a lot more prepared for this one. I've made a few changes and feel ready after again winning the South African off-road championship. My ambition is to push for the Top 3, but I need to finish and be consistent. I first have to survive until the rest day without making any big mistakes".

BRIAN'S DAKAR HISTORY
2015: Ab. Stage 2
THE RIDER
Date of birth: 01/03/1988 at POLOKWANE
Height / weight: 1.89 / 88
Situation: Marié   ??? whatzat   ???
Hobbies: Quad biking, socializing, gym, driving, watersports
Sponsors: Yamaha, Imperial Isuzu, Motul Oil, PortableShade, Bidvest, EMD Racing, BB Motorports, Liquimoly, Racecraft, Maxxis, Pro Design, Spy+, EK Chain, Thor, MSD, Tusk, Hotcams, Wiseco, Maxwell, Shoei, Bel Ray, Wicked Rides, ATD, ACT, Diamond Trailers, FMF, Gaern
THE VEHICLE
Raptor 700 Yamaha
Assistance : Team Rhide SA
Performance tuner : Team Rhide SA

Offline SteveD

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2015, 10:28:43 pm »
More:

LEEROY POULTER - #319 - TOYOTA (SA)

Leeroy Poulter is a bit of a motorsports wonder kid in South Africa. At age 6 he conquered his first motocross championship. At 16, after switching to karts, he again captured national glory. And that was just a start. Poulter soon made a name for himself in regular rallies on home soil while also competing in the European and World karting championships. With several off-road events under the belt, the next step up had to be the Dakar. After a fine start to his first rally, including 3rd spot on Day 3, he then struggled with mechanical issues, eventually finishing the event in 33rd position. Not good enough for the man from Jo'burg! Poulter returned and went several steps higher capturing a promising 16th spot in Buenos Aires last year. If he keeps on improving at that pace, he could well be a contender for a podium spot alongside his experienced co-driver Robert Howie. Poulter doesn't want to get carried away. He aims at the Top 5.
L.P.: “The 2014 Dakar wasn't going too bad at the beginning. We were in the Top 5 but then we suffered technical issues and had to start the stages so far back… We eventually wanted to be in the top 10 but because of the many difficulties we witnessed, we just focused on finishing. All in all, it was really tough. I was pretty happy with last year's race. We were of course hoping for a Top 15 but we had a lot of technical issues. There was however the satisfaction of finishing second of the last stage. Experience and a good car counts a great deal. For 2016, the car is almost new again. It has more power. The fact that Peru is no longer on the course makes a big difference for us with our petrol engine. The ambition is to be in the Top 5 but the race is so competitive. Concerning the altitude in Bolivia. I suffered a major headache, like many others, but the car went rather well. The next step up is to win the Dakar one day. It would be great because there's more and more attention back home in South Africa and more competitors on the race.”

LEEROY'S DAKAR HISTORY
2015: 16th
2014: 33rd
THE VEHICLE
Engine type : 8 Cylinder Toyota IUR-FSE 4,6L V8
Output : 300HP, 520NM
Assistance : Imperial Toyota
Weight : 1877
Performance tuner : Imperial Toyota
THE DRIVER
Date of birth: 06/03/1981 at JOHANNESBURG
Height / weight: 1.74 / 71
Situation: Marié (someone should warn Leroy that Brian is claims to be involved with a Marié chic, hopefully not the same one)
Hobbies: Squash, motorsports
Sponsors: Toyota, Imperial Toyota

Offline SteveD

« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2015, 10:34:01 pm »
Even more:

GINIEL DE VILLIERS - #301 - TOYOTA (SA)

Victor of the 2009 Dakar in a Volkswagen Race Touareg and second in 2011, Giniel De Villiers has remained a front-runner since joining the Toyota team after the withdrawal of the German constructor. A change in machinery that has been negotiated to near-perfection in the Hilux Pick-up with which he has finished on the podium the last three years (3rd in 2012, then 2nd in 2013 and 2015). During the most recent edition, De Villiers was the only one able to give the future winner, Nasser Al Attiyah a run for his money, finishing 35 minutes adrift of the Qatari and far ahead of the other challengers (Holowczyc at 1h35, Van Loon at more than 3 hours). With just one rally-raid under their belts this year; the Morocco Rally (4th), the duo of De Villiers & Von Zitzewitz mainly focused their attention on improving the performance level of the petrol engine Hilux in the Kalahari Desert. The 42-year old driver, who also took part in eight rounds of the S2000 South African rally championship this year, still took the time to nourish his other passion, the Tour de France this past July, where he took in a mountain stage in the Alps as well as the final stage on the Champs-Elysées.
G.D.V.: “We took a large step forward during the 2015 Dakar. We were in the fight for the win just until stage 7. For sure, I would have liked to have won again but we were as close as we have ever been. Since then, we have found new things to improve and it had to be done because the competition looks to be mega. Mini is still Mini and Nasser is the same old Nasser. The Peugeots have also improved a lot but the question concerning their reliability has yet to be answered. The fact that we have a petrol engine still has to be taken into consideration. We lose a lot of time in the sand. We still lack torque. On the other hand, we are good on the twisty and fast tracks and not that far behind at altitude, which is a nice surprise. We will have a new engine that has shown some strong performance for the Dakar. Sometimes we are criticized for not competing enough during the season, but believe me we do a tremendous amount of testing with the car. We have also improved the suspension and have made a minor change to the chassis. There are some new things a little bit everywhere on the car. Sure, the new layout of the race looks to favour us, but I am expecting some extremely difficult days in the Argentinian sand, near Fiambala.”

GINIEL'S HISTORY SINCE 1999
2015: 2nd (Toyota Hilux)
2014: 4th (Toyota Hilux), 1 stage win)
2013: 2nd (Toyota Hilux)
2012: 3rd (Toyota Hilux)
2011: 2nd (Volkswagen, 1 stage win)
2010: 7th (Volkswagen)
2009: winner (Volkswagen, 3 stage wins)
2007: 11th (Volkswagen, 4 stage wins)
2006: 2nd (Volkswagen, 1 stage win)
2005: 4th (2 stage wins, Nissan)
2004: 7th (1 stage win, Nissan)
2003: 5th (first appearance, Nissan)

THE VEHICLE
Engine type : VO Lexus, 2UR-GSE all-alloy 32-valve quad camshaft
Output : 310 kW of power and more
Assistance : Toyota Gazoo Racing
Performance tuner : Toyota Gazoo Racing
THE DRIVER
Date of birth: 25/03/1972 at BARRYDALE
Height / weight: 1.78 / 75
Situation: Marié, 2 enfants (eish, this Marié gets around. I wonder if Leroy and Brian know she has kids?)
Hobbies: Golf, bike riding, kite surfing
Sponsors: Specialized, Red Bull, Oakley, Toyota, Duxbury Netgear, Innovation Group, SAA, TFM, Shatterprufe, Supreme, Spanjaard, Edgecam, Mastercraft, Donaldson, Castrol, NGK, SKF, Sparco.Innovation Group, SAA, TFM, Shatterprufe, Supreme, Spanjaard, Edgecam, Masterc