Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Bursting" the rear Michelin on a 600km young 1200GS LC - final chapter.  (Read 23149 times)

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: "Bursting" the rear Michelin on a 600km young 1200GS LC ...
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2015, 07:30:45 pm »
just seen another one vuisbook

"Hi guys. I am stuck in Nieuwoudtville on my way from Kimberley to Saldanha Bay with a big piece of my rear tyre tread that came off. Am riding a BMW 1200 Adventure. Tyre size is 150/70-17. Can anyone assist me please."
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=776633789101923&set=pcb.1672416592986169&type=1&theater

Offline Draadwerk

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2015, 07:36:17 pm »
Is dit ook 'n Anakee 3?

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2015, 07:40:32 pm »
Is dit ook 'n Anakee 3?

Nee.  Lyk soos 'n Anakee 2 or Metzeler Tourance.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline Draadwerk

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2015, 07:46:04 pm »
Kan ons uitvind watter bande betrokke is by beide insidente hier?

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2015, 08:05:41 pm »
Some of the newer cars speedos these days  stop at the speed it was doing when involved in a serious accident. Golf GTI is one. Maybe the same with the newer bikes??
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2015, 08:30:23 pm »
just seen another one vuisbook

"Hi guys. I am stuck in Nieuwoudtville on my way from Kimberley to Saldanha Bay with a big piece of my rear tyre tread that came off. Am riding a BMW 1200 Adventure. Tyre size is 150/70-17. Can anyone assist me please."
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=776633789101923&set=pcb.1672416592986169&type=1&theater

Daai is Heidi's
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2015, 08:35:35 pm »

Perhaps you can prove me wrong with more photo evidence? :thumleft:

I have a better idea.  Why not prove yourself right with photo evidence? 

The OP did that for me. :ricky:

Nope.  You need to prove what you just said, i.e. that it has never happened on any other bike.

Anyway, who cares?  The bike is destroyed.  We know you will go on and on and on "tot vervelens toe" to tell all how kak a Beemer is.  We know what your opinion is of the bike, so basically, you are not saying anything new.  Come on dude, time to come up with something new and exciting about the kakness of the BMW.

GO!!!

AMZ, I will react to your above post, even if and when I know you are baiting, which by the way makes you a troll too. :imaposer:
You say that this never happened to any Beemer before? IOW this is then already something new and exciting? :thumleft:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #127 on: April 12, 2015, 08:39:53 pm »
Yet again another thread that may have been informative and beneficial to the members of the forum (and not just BMW riders) gets derailed by the resident ***hat.
It is incredible that he might even believe the crap that he spews.
I really would like to know what caused this issue as it will benefit us all but the anti BMW troll has to bore us with his shit again

Please do not think for a moment that I consider you a lightweight with 36 posts, not at all, but it does show me that your above post and your low post count correlate to exhibit your lack of experience on WD forum.

What on earth makes you say that this thread may EVER have been "informative and beneficial"????? Guessing about whether the insurance will pay, or BMW will pay
or low pressure or high speed or whether the computer memory might remember how fast he was riding, etc etc etc etc etc
I may as well spice it up a bit. :pot:

Offline Dcjet

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Douglas (all models)
« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2015, 08:58:50 pm »
Do I need to be as full of shit as you to be considered a heavyweight on the WD Forum?  :lol8:
The warranty and electronic dial speculation may not be that informative but I have had Anakee 3's on a few different bikes and have not heard of such a drastic failure before on any other forum.
The Mitas E-07'S (I think) had similar problems which were attributed to either manufacturing/design faults or running under-inflated.
The particular interest for me with the larger ADV bikes (of any make) is that I reduce the tyre pressure on the offroad sections but then sometimes make a high speed run on tar to the next dirt section without re-inflating the tyre and if this can result in a failure like this I may need to rethink the strategy.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #129 on: April 12, 2015, 09:04:09 pm »

You say that this never happened to any Beemer before? IOW this is then already something new and exciting? :thumleft:

My memory betrays me.   Please point me to where I said this never happened to any BMW before?
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #130 on: April 12, 2015, 09:04:47 pm »
Do I need to be as full of shit as you to be considered a heavyweight on the WD Forum?  :lol8:
The warranty and electronic dial speculation may not be that informative but I have had Anakee 3's on a few different bikes and have not heard of such a drastic failure before on any other forum.
The Mitas E-07'S (I think) had similar problems which were attributed to either manufacturing/design faults or running under-inflated.
The particular interest for me with the larger ADV bikes (of any make) is that I reduce the tyre pressure on the offroad sections but then sometimes make a high speed run on tar to the next dirt section without re-inflating the tyre and if this can result in a failure like this I may need to rethink the strategy.

I tend do do the same, although it is usually short stints, i realise now that I'm looking for trouble.
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2015, 09:16:49 pm »
Rubber is quite a heavy substance.

Now think about what the tread on a delaminating tyre weighs.  1-2 kgs or more?

Now think what sort of revs the back wheel is doing at 180.

So who would like to stick their hand into a 2kg weight spinning around the outside of a 17 inch wheel at those sorts of rpm's?

That sort of thing is going to cause serious damage to what ever it comes into contact with.

Its unfortunate that some very expensive parts are located in exactly the wrong position on that bike.

Its also unfortunate that the tyre was wrecked in the first place.  

Although the dichotomy between modern big adventure bikes being pseudo super bikes AND "enduro" bikes all at the same time maybe makes this a bit of problem for tyre manufacturers.  

A super bike tyre only has to do one thing.  A big adventure bike tyre has try and be all things at once  :-\
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2015, 09:49:50 pm »

So who would like to stick their hand into a 2kg weight spinning around the outside of a 17 inch wheel at those sorts of rpm's?

That sort of thing is going to cause serious damage to what ever it comes into contact with.

Its unfortunate that some very expensive parts are located in exactly the wrong position on that bike.

Although the dichotomy between modern big adventure bikes being pseudo super bikes AND "enduro" bikes all at the same time maybe makes this a bit of problem for tyre manufacturers.  

A super bike tyre only has to do one thing.  A big adventure bike tyre has try and be all things at once  :-\

This thread's 1st sensible post.  :thumleft:

Offline 2wdrift

« Reply #133 on: April 12, 2015, 10:01:12 pm »

If the bike was moving at 180km/h the tyre would be moving at the same speed at its normal radius. If that radius increased by a third (due to delamination) you could be looking at a piece of rubber being flung around at a fair bit over 200km/h. I would hazard a guess that even a 4-5mm stainless steel plate would be wrecked by that?
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline XRRX

« Reply #134 on: April 12, 2015, 10:17:03 pm »
Guys - the purpose of this thread was not to start a "dog-fight" and/or some brand bashing - each to his own ...
As I'm the only witness (and my boy) to this "incident", I can only say what I've seen - as I was driving past the first thing I saw was rather large pieces of rubber lying on the road surface - my first thought was it's just rubber from another truck-tyre that blew - a regular sight on our roads...  ::)
It was only when I stopped at this guy after turning around - that I've realized it's actually pieces of bike-tyre I've seen!  :o My guesstimate is that the rubber debris was positioned about 200-300m from where the bike came to a halt.
What you do not see in the pics is his standard new BMW topbox - since he had already removed it to use as a chair while waiting - now belief it or not - the topbox was cracked quite severely from the flying rubber too!!  :o :o
Let it thus just be a reminder to all of us (no matter which brand you ride) of another possible danger hiding underneath us while sometimes doing insane speeds ...  :thumleft:
Be safe - be careful !!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2015, 10:28:34 pm »
It perhaps begs the question, does a D/S bike need to be this fast?

Offline 2wdrift

« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2015, 10:38:06 pm »
It perhaps begs the question, does a D/S bike need to be this fast?

Absolutely not. No bike NEEDS to be this fast. But some of us idiots do WANT it to be this fast
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2015, 08:05:26 am »
If you want to go fast buy a Superbike
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2015, 08:47:08 am »
This thread was doomed at the start with so called oumanne spewing crap like I would insist on a new bike ETC add to that people speculating with no formal understanding on what happens to tyres at speed and different inflations posting a whole ream of uneducated pushing of what they feel is the fault. What is hilarious is the proof and facts that seem to come out the wood work. Most of what has been posted here is utter drivel used to incite anger in the troll's by troll's.

1. IT IS NOT THE BIKES FAULT
2. IT IS NOT THE TYRES FAULT
3. IT IS NOT THE MANUFACTURES FAULT
4. IF YOU HAVE TO LAY BLAME IT IS THE RIDERS FAULT. ALTHOUGH NOT INTENTIONAL.

All other speculations and drivel are side topics!
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline XRRX

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2015, 09:12:58 am »
This thread was doomed at the start with so called oumanne spewing crap like I would insist on a new bike ETC add to that people speculating with no formal understanding on what happens to tyres at speed and different inflations posting a whole ream of uneducated pushing of what they feel is the fault. What is hilarious is the proof and facts that seem to come out the wood work. Most of what has been posted here is utter drivel used to incite anger in the troll's by troll's.

1. IT IS NOT THE BIKES FAULT
2. IT IS NOT THE TYRES FAULT
3. IT IS NOT THE MANUFACTURES FAULT
4. IF YOU HAVE TO LAY BLAME IT IS THE RIDERS FAULT. ALTHOUGH NOT INTENTIONAL.

All other speculations and drivel are side topics!

I won't blame the rider - none of us were with him on the bike to judge... Nobody buys a 200k bike and intentionally takes chances on the first voyage - well he didn't appear to be the kind at least...
It's a simple accident - and thank God just a replaceable bike was seriously "injured" !