Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Bursting" the rear Michelin on a 600km young 1200GS LC - final chapter.  (Read 23303 times)

Offline Geriatrix

Re: "Bursting" the rear Michelin on a 600km young 1200GS LC - final chapter.
« Reply #240 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:15 pm »
A gator is usually used in the sidewall to repair a puncture. Was the initial damage to the tyre in the sidewall??

No !!!!!!

A gator is used to fix on the inside of the tyre on the tread area. Never on a side wall. A gator is like a hard patch. It cannot take much flex and will come off if fitted to a side wall

YES!! NO!!!
Both correct and wrong.
Gaiters  are hard, and should not be used to repair a tyre. They are not patches, which are soft enough to be stuck to a tyre and becomes part of the rubber.
They are placed between a tube and a hole in the tyre to prevent the tube from pushing out through the hole ( which is why they are hard ). They are too hard to be glued to the tyre as a repair, but are short term emergency devices. Even when used in hard truck tyres the tyre should be replaced at the very first opportunity.

If a tyre has a sidewall hole it must be replaced as a matter of urgency, if it has a small hole in the tread it can be repaired with a plug or even better a mushroom plug inserted from the inside ( the wax on the tyre must be removed first ). The standard recommendation is that the tyre must be replaced as soon as possible. As far as I know in the European Union it is illegal to ride on a tyre that has been repaired in any way.
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline HB 9

« Reply #241 on: April 17, 2015, 07:59:23 pm »
Please compare this thread...

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=170787.0 

and re think one's own opinions...
Tread lightly

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #242 on: April 20, 2015, 08:44:42 am »

Too tired to start this whole discussion on another thread.

Guys must do what they wish. The above posts where informative and mostly based on facts. Tyres and the palm size contact with the road keep you alive any repair can compromise a tyre and should therefore be watched carefully post repair. If there is any doubt replace ASAP. If you dont your family will agree that your life is worth far more than a tyre. Travel safe.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2015, 09:55:39 am »

Too tired to start this whole discussion on another thread.

Guys must do what they wish. The above posts where informative and mostly based on facts. Tyres and the palm size contact with the road keep you alive any repair can compromise a tyre and should therefore be watched carefully post repair. If there is any doubt replace ASAP. If you dont your family will agree that your life is worth far more than a tyre. Travel safe.

Only some families!  :pot:
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Big Show

• Pack Dog
Ok, so I can assume that the insurance settled this claim as the bike is now for sale at a salvage yard.

Might be a good buy for someone

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
You are never too old too learn or see new things. A bike bursting a rear tyre, not crashing, now finds itself in a salvage yard, a wreck with only 600kms on it.

Should a burst rear tyre be able to reduce a R200 000 motorcycle to scrap?

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
You are never too old too learn or see new things. A bike bursting a rear tyre, not crashing, now finds itself in a salvage yard, a wreck with only 600kms on it.

Jinne Dan, hoeveel lyne het jy op enige gegewe tyd in die water?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

Hierdie is nie n lyn in die water nie, net n vraag of n D/S bike dan so sag gebou behoort te word? Ek het al n hele paar fietse gesien wat teen baie hoe spoed bande
gebars het, en dit is die eerste keer wat ek die tipe van skade sien.
BMW self behoort hierdie fiets vir die eienaar vervang het, en nie die versekering nie. Dis mos nie die versekering wat hom so kak gebou het nie? :3some:

Offline HB 9

Ok, so I can assume that the insurance settled this claim as the bike is now for sale at a salvage yard.

Might be a good buy for someone

???
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:39:00 am by HB 9 »
Tread lightly

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound

Hierdie is nie n lyn in die water nie, net n vraag of n D/S bike dan so sag gebou behoort te word? Ek het al n hele paar fietse gesien wat teen baie hoe spoed bande
BMW self behoort hierdie fiets vir die eienaar vervang het, en nie die versekering nie. Dis mos nie die versekering wat hom so kak gebou het nie? :3some:

Ek het nie ges ek stry met jou nie  :3some:
Net gevra oor jou lyne.  :deal:

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

Ek het nie ges ek stry met jou nie  :3some:
Net gevra oor jou lyne.  :deal:

:imaposer: :thumleft:

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk

Dan, the whole population of the world, even those who have never seen a bike, accepted that the GS is the worst piece of shit ever build  Maybe it is time you come to terms with the fact?   :imaposer:
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

Dan, the whole population of the world, even those who have never seen a bike, accepted that the GS is the worst piece of shit ever build  Maybe it is time you come to terms with the fact?   :imaposer:

No I actually think some of the old British bikes might have been worse. :ricky:

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
I think its disgusting that this bike has been written off. Easily fixed I am sure. Someone will make money in this insurance transaction.

I also think that the heavy handed insurance quotes dished out by the mechanics is also making our motorcycle insurance premiums so high.
IMHO!

:-[
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
I think its disgusting that this bike has been written off. Easily fixed I am sure. Someone will make money in this insurance transaction.

I also think that the heavy handed insurance quotes dished out by the mechanics is also making our motorcycle insurance premiums so high.
IMHO!

Absolutely!!

Online VaalBaas

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester

IMHO!

Absolutely!!

Sooo, my post way back was not to far fetched.  I've been there :thumleft:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline DRAZIL

• Race Dog
  • Alpha et Omega

IMHO!

Wasn't BMW busted in Australia for something like this in the past
You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk

No idea,  but this is most certainly not just a BMW thing.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline HB 9

Please quote the thread where it states that the bike was written off...  :deal:

for my peace of mind...  :peepwall:
Tread lightly

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond

No idea,  but this is most certainly not just a BMW thing.

No, the insurance is also involved.......