ADV vs R? (Test ridden)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhawg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
So any of you guys riding the standard ADV rather than the R?

Long story short, I'm bikeless after selling my 990 SMT. I only put it up for sale because I found a 990 SMR....which then got sold like an hour before I sold my SMT and put an offer in :-[

So I kinda thought it was the universe telling me to go all out and get an 1190.  
I managed to test ride an R yesterday....and it was both amazing and meh at the same time.  
Amazing:  For a big bike on big wheels it handles AMAZINGLY!!! It didn't feel any heavier than the SMT....actually it felt lighter. The big front tends to really dip into corners though, I guess that makes it feel like it wants to turn. Stupidly comfortable also. The screen was terrible for me at speed, lots of buffeting

Meh:   I know it is faster than my SMT, but it never FELT faster.  I mean that's probably a good thing, but it didn't have that excitement factor of the 990.
I think also the TC was really just pulling the power down because of the dirt tyres the bike was on. You just couldn't open the throttle hard without it killing the power.

Anyway, I have never gone offroad in my life, but I like upright bikes and I guess if I had an ADV I would go explore dirt roads and that now and then....not proper offorad though.  So The regular ADV seems like it'd be a better fit.  I'd also like to do trackdays now and then....not to chase laptimes really but just to improve my riding in a safe environment.

Questions:
Would a 2013 that has had the airbox "fixed" be sensible? Are there any updates on the 2014? There's one at Raceworx with 7000kms on
Does Sport mode allow a bit more fun before intervening?
Can you disable the rider aids completely?  I keep hearing about some dongle you have to buy extra?
Options for more performance oriented tyres in 17/19inch? (I realise this is probably the opposite of what most people would want here.....I guess I want an 1190 SMT  :biggrin:)

Thanks guys.