Lightweight, Road legal 450'ish D/S / Enduro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omninorm

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure
I'm kinda in the market if the price is right.

Enjoying the F800 for the daily commuting, long dirt rides with gravel 2 spoor etc but been having serious fun on my YZ250F lately and the bug really bit hard the last few weekends.

While I'm still learning on it (started doing some jumps and climbs and stuff) I'm no where near experienced but I am just loving it. I've taken a few 2Stroke 250's out (YZ250, KX250) and they have very nice power and they don't feel overpowered to me - I however prefer the linear power delivery of the 4stroke (guess that may go away with more experience). It's a bit easier to learn on I guess.
The YZ250F is fantastic. but  the one thing though is that I need to hit some tar sometimes, should I wish to venture further out and to explore. There are some great sand tracks and rocky sections I saw one day while out 4x4 ing and would love to go try that with a bike. The F800GS is not the bike for that and the YZ250F can't get there without doing lots of tar. I can trailer I guess but that means leaving the car in the middle of nowhere...dont want to do that either.

Just came back from a 1000km weekend ride with pilion and gear and the F800 did not disappoint at all and will be doing another long range gravel trip in a few weekends so will not be getting rid of it.
So this is where budget comes into play at around the R60K. i.e I can't afford to go spend on a brand new one.

I'm now looking for a under 130kg road legal D/S Enduro bike. That can maybe do exploring duties as well as the "trail / enduro" type stuff I'm currently starting to do on the YZ250F. I like doing sandy single tracks, quarry type rides and so on.I'm considering once I got hold of said bike to maybe sell the YZ250F. Not sure yet.

So there are a few Yamaha WR450's that's road legal, I see a few BMW G450X, I've seen one KTM 525.
I think the KTM 350 is almost the perfect one but have seen no road legal ones.
Currently I'm leaning towards a WR450 if I can find a road legal one as parts might be easier to get. Would you guys say the G450X is good?  The G450x is really lightweight but parts / maintenance concerns me. Is this a valid concern?

I'm also not married to the 450 ish idea but not sure if a road legal 250  4stroke will be good for me seeing as I have Atlantis dunes in mind one day as well as  the odd jump here and there?

Please share your knowledge with me as to what direction to go in.