Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 200  (Read 4837 times)

Offline JacoM

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
KTM 200
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:51:03 pm »
Who has experience of these?
Are they maintenance "intensive" or robust?
Do they need a lot of pampering to keep on running smoothly ?

Offline Odd Dog

Re: KTM 200
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:08:15 pm »
Who has experience of these?
Are they maintenance "intensive" or robust?
Do they need a lot of pampering to keep on running smoothly ?

Most 2T enduro/mx bikes need extra care and constant maintenance but the 200 Katoom has proved itself pretty reliable.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 09:57:59 pm »
Most 2stroke enduro/MX bikes require far less care and maintenance than a 4stroke, this is simple fact.

The KTM 200 is a very rugged bike, and I'll describe it as a "sharpened-up" KDX 200.

Offline Losper

• Tour operator specializing in Lesotho, Namakwaland and the Richtersveld
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ons vat jou waar jou ma nie weet jy is nie
    • Facebook: LosperAdventures
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:41:03 pm »
Awesome bike and very much underrated, go for it Jaco :thumleft:
We do adventure and enduro bike tours, specializing in Lesotho, Namakaland and the Richtersveld.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:03:44 pm »
Agree with above comments - awesome bikes so long as you do not weigh more than 85kg otherwise may need to do the suspension. Been around for years with gradual tweaks along the way and are proven reliable. Chris Birch has recently discovered one and lightened it up even more by stripping stuff off it and waxes lyrical about it.  :thumleft: From 2013 has a happy button although piss easy to kick.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:53:33 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:50:59 pm »
Most 2stroke enduro/MX bikes require far less care and maintenance than a 4stroke, this is simple fact.

The KTM 200 is a very rugged bike, and I'll describe it as a "sharpened-up" KDX 200.

That's a matter of opionion, my experience with the WR's tell a different tale.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:35:01 am »

That's a matter of opionion, my experience with the WR's tell a different tale.

Not sure what you saying?  ::) 

I would certainly agree with 2SD that the KTM 200 XCW is like a KDX on steroids - the geometry, weight, suspension and modern engine with the power valve really just make it such a capable and competitive bike.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Moondog

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 06:52:25 am »
Odd Dogs comment was more around the 2Stroke motors requiring more regular maintenance than a 4Stroke. While this may be true, a 2-stroke is generally much simpler and cheaper to do major work on.
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline Tr0jan

• Centurion(Werk) - Zeerust(Plaas)
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Kom grondpad, kom!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 06:59:38 am »
Went from a RMZ 450 to the KTM 200. I never do anything on it, even seldom clean the air filter. Why? Because after the RMZ, I said ill rather ride my next bike till it bombs out then do the excessive maintenance on it. I'm still waiting for that KTM 200 to blow up, its been three years, including a two full EWXC racing seasons. It purrs like a kitten, starts at worst on the second kick.

It's a phenomenal bike!

I have to add tho, I only run high quality full synthetic oils for the petrol and the gearbox...
KTM 990 - Wiff twee pype and loud A-F!

I'm not a hooligan, my throttle grip got stuck! \_(ツ)_/

Binder boeties! Julle maak my dag!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 07:13:27 am »
Odd Dogs comment was more around the 2Stroke motors requiring more regular maintenance than a 4Stroke. While this may be true, a 2-stroke is generally much simpler and cheaper to do major work on.

Very relevant to the topic of this thread is the maintenance factor of these motorcycles. As a "playbike" or as a racebike, a 2stroke is considerably cheaper and easier to maintain than a 4stroke.
It is missing so many parts over a 4stroke, it has to be! :imaposer:

2Strokes are true "park and play" motorcycles, where the 4stroke need constant oil changes, oil filter changes, and regular valve maintenance. All this missing on 2strokes.

Offline JacoM

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 08:51:04 am »
Thanks for the comments so far.

What is the difference between the models EXC, XCW and SX?

Offline Tr0jan

• Kom grondpad, kom!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:21:15 pm »
Thanks for the comments so far.

What is the difference between the models EXC, XCW and SX?

exc, xcw is the same, just US and EU naming. The enduro bike.

SX is the crosser

Offline adamktm

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 12:39:08 pm »
Agree with above comments - awesome bikes so long as you do not weigh more than 85kg otherwise may need to do the suspension. Been around for years with gradual tweaks along the way and are proven reliable. Chris Birch has recently discovered one and lightened it up even more by stripping stuff off it and waxes lyrical about it.  :thumleft: From 2012 has a happy button although piss easy to kick.

Great bikes, just to clarify. 2013 was the first year they put an electric starter on the bike. If you are not going to do heavy tech then it's not a must have, but if you're stuck on an off camber mountain then an electric start is a god send.
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »
Agree with above comments - awesome bikes so long as you do not weigh more than 85kg otherwise may need to do the suspension. Been around for years with gradual tweaks along the way and are proven reliable. Chris Birch has recently discovered one and lightened it up even more by stripping stuff off it and waxes lyrical about it.  :thumleft: From 2012 has a happy button although piss easy to kick.

Great bikes, just to clarify. 2013 was the first year they put an electric starter on the bike. If you are not going to do heavy tech then it's not a must have, but if you're stuck on an off camber mountain then an electric start is a god send.

Thanks - amended my post thought it was 2012 ... most kick the bike in the pits and starting line to save the starter motor and battery for when really needed and is a godsend. KTM have progressively improved their starters and batteries on plastics. I run my sons with an Ultrabatt and so far is faultless. One other thing is the 200 does not come with a rad fan - a good addition if you ride tight stuff (we also use Evans coolant).

Offline Geriatrix

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 07:02:50 pm »
Is this bike suitable for on road licensing?
Clinicians can contact the clinicians' hotline number on 0800 111 131 (for doctors only); and, in addition to 0800 029 999, the public can also contact the public hotline number on 0800 111 132. These lines all operate 24 hours a day.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 08:39:45 pm »
Is this bike suitable for on road licensing?

No - comes with headlight but not a RW scoot.

Offline Tr0jan

• Kom grondpad, kom!
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 07:55:30 am »

Thanks - amended my post thought it was 2012 ... most kick the bike in the pits and starting line to save the starter motor and battery for when really needed and is a godsend. KTM have progressively improved their starters and batteries on plastics. I run my sons with an Ultrabatt and so far is faultless. One other thing is the 200 does not come with a rad fan - a good addition if you ride tight stuff (we also use Evans coolant).

I've never ever let my 200 boil, regardless of how difficult the terrain is. Did not think its possible.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 08:05:25 am »
They do not cook easily but a hot day at the Roof with bottlenecks  ....  ::)  
Nice thing these days is you can get the fans with a digital temp guage so that you can both adjust when you want it to come on and then also check current running temp.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:10:03 am by BiG DoM »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 08:05:47 am »

I've never ever let my 200 boil, regardless of how difficult the terrain is. Did not think its possible.

They will boil, not as easily as a 4stroke, but they will eventually. Hot day, thick sand/slow rocky section, temperature must creep up.
Disconnect your car's radiator cooling fan and see how far you get in stop/start traffic.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 12:23:18 pm »
There were plenty of them available second hand last year, now that I am looking, no good deals of course. To someone who has ridden both, why would one choose the 200 over the 250 if the weight difference is so small? I just like the idea of the 200. I've only ridden a 300
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy