Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bum Bags - which one?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
Bum Bags - which one?
« on: April 14, 2015, 11:44:19 am »
Hey chaps. I have a scott bum bag which worked well but is now almost worn through at the bottom. Its been good, but does bob around a little and the fit is not ideal. What do you use, and whats good? And then also where does one get them?
Keep in mind - use is for extreme endures and Amageza
 :thumleft:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline LeeMichael

Re: Bum Bags - which one?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:51:04 pm »
This is worth every penny!! I got my father one and it's a great piece of kit, very comfortable and some smart little features that really make it the best bum bag I have seen around.

http://kriega.co.za/products/waistpacks/kriega-r8-waistpack.html

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 04:10:04 pm »
This is worth every penny!! I got my father one and it's a great piece of kit, very comfortable and some smart little features that really make it the best bum bag I have seen around.

http://kriega.co.za/products/waistpacks/kriega-r8-waistpack.html

Looks good but looks really bulky!!
Thanks for the reply - will consider it  :thumleft:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline adamktm

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:15:11 pm »
http://kriega.co.za/products/waistpacks/kriega-r3-waistpack.html

This one is less bulky and as good, Kriege is amazing quality and will last a life time
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline Wihan

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 04:59:19 pm »

This one is less bulky and as good, Kriege is amazing quality and will last a life time

Who sells them, locally I mean?

Offline jpcussen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:42:51 pm »

Yeah, I concur…. I have it and its waterproof and bullet proof in build quality, and holds all you will need. Problem with the R8 is that its like a chicks handbag, you can fit 10kg of tools in there that you will never use. I always remember Chris Birch said that if he hasn't used a tool in 6 months, and he regularly maintains his bike, he takes those tools out as the odds are so low vs the weight.

My 2c
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:45:21 pm by jpcussen »
If you are not falling, you are not trying hard enough.

2009 990R

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:29:34 pm »
Kriega stuff is great but I can really recommend the new Leatt bumbag/toolbelt. Like their hydration packs it is made by UWE and is top class. UWE knows about making kit fit ergonomically and not 'monkey' about. It is very well designed, fits snug with a wide padded belt (can be packed full or lighter with the compression straps) and can hold as much or as little as you need, and has two great small pockets for race food etc.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:44:22 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline lowrider

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 08:51:19 am »
Can those little side bags on the Leatt be removed?
2005 BMW F650GS Dakar
2007 Husqvarna TE450R

Offline adamktm

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 09:16:15 am »

Who sells them, locally I mean?

KTM CT sells them here
2018 KTM 250 6 Days TPI
2011 690 Enduro

When I bleed, I bleed orange!

Offline Ryderod

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 09:29:53 am »

Would be perfect if they can be removed
Dirty by nature!

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 11:50:19 am »

No - but they are do not get in the way and really are not that big. Very useful as you do not need to take bag off or swing it around to get stuff like lipice, racefood, wypes for goggles and headcam etc etc.

If you want a smaller single pocket bag Thor makes a good one but the closure is only velcro - can wear and is not secure from little hands!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 11:51:40 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 12:04:37 pm »
Leatt one looks good too!
I like the side pockets for the very reason mentioned. No need to remove to get some food in fast. U can smash an energy bar on the go as you open a gate etc

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 03:25:31 pm »
I like the side pockets for the very reason mentioned. No need to remove to get some food in fast. U can smash an energy bar on the go as you open a gate etc

Exactly  :thumleft:

Offline Dirty Boy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 03:32:28 pm »

Also looks like it would double as a kidney belt.

Offline jpcussen

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 09:09:45 am »
Is Leatt option 100% waterproof like the Kriege?

2009 990R

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 10:20:15 am »
Is Leatt option 100% waterproof like the Kriege?

The Kriega is a waistpack and to the best of my knowledge does not include a tool compartment - designed mostly for wearing in front I think. They make a separate tool roll that I guess could be put inside. As I say I like their stuff and have two of their tailbags. The Leatt is probably not 100% waterproof as it does not have the roll-over design that the Kriega packs depend on for this. Access though would be quicker with the Leatt though and the pockets are lined so pretty waterproof. I wonder what the Kriege costs plus tool roll? The Leatt is around R700.

Offline jpcussen

• Race Dog
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 02:38:40 pm »
I think most of us with the R3 just whack in our tool roll that comes standard with our bikes - plus the few extras that we know we like to have with us. I think R3 is about R1000 or so, can't remember

2009 990R

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 03:12:07 pm »
I have the Leatt, and carry quite a bit in there, probably too much.

I would say the main rear pouch is waterproof from a rain perspective, but if you fell over in a river, everything is going to get wet.

I does not double up as a kidney belt as the strap is actually quite thin.

It is very comfy to wear, but I am looking at some method of attaching it to my camelback as well to keep it "in place", because as I say, mine is little bit heavy and it tends to head downwards in rougher terrain, I only use mine on my WR though.

"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 04:05:17 pm »
Attaching it to your tripper means you've put the weight back on your shoulders.
Negates the idea of putting the weight on your hips, so might as well use a backpack.

AFAIK for Amageza and other rallies, no tools are allowed to be carried on your body anyway - so you're bum bag should be quite light.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 04:35:07 pm »
Attaching it to your tripper means you've put the weight back on your shoulders.
Negates the idea of putting the weight on your hips, so might as well use a backpack.

AFAIK for Amageza and other rallies, no tools are allowed to be carried on your body anyway - so you're bum bag should be quite light.

Ja on Amageza I Use it for clothes and nutrition mainly. Tools are strapped on the bike wherever I can find somewhere to strap them - mostly on the tower which is not ideal but has worked well for me so far.
This year i'll have water on the bashplate and maybe some tools there too - will have to see