Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bum Bags - which one?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: Bum Bags - which one?
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 07:42:07 pm »
If you get good quality tools, you can store it inside your water container.  2 flies and all of that  >:D

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 09:41:58 am »
If you get good quality tools, you can store it inside your water container.  2 flies and all of that  >:D

HAHA -just cover in waterproof grease  :biggrin:
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Minxy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • óÔÔò >^.^< óÔÔò
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:14 pm »
The Giant loop bags are nice, waterproof and sturdy. HSK has the Mojavi saddlebags, they work really well and they are not too bulky.

http://giantloopmoto.com/products/mojavi-saddlebag/
*              ★·.·´¯`·.·★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★·.·´¯`·.·★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 09:46:43 am »
I have always worried about having sharp metal tools around your waist area in case of falling, is this a concern for Bum Bags ? I'd rather carry the tools somewhere on the bike like a tail pack etc.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 11:09:13 am »
Due to the leverage on the back, a tail pack can quite often cause rear bottoming on lighter bikes. That said, I cart an enormous load on the back of my 690 during Amageza without issues. It depends on how close to the weight limit of the spring you are.  Also, other than strapping the tools to the mirrors, that's as high you can get to impact the centre of mass.

Another issue, small riders carrying the tools on their bodies are sometimes better able to handle a bike because of the increased mass/force being affected onto the foot pegs.    The negative is if you do not stand the whole time, then you will effectively be doing squats each time you get up.

Falling on your back is certainly possible.  I have, and I had a bit of dust on my Bum Bag.  To me, it shows that you will arch your back instinctively when you are going to fall on pliers and a sparkplug - just kidding.

I use a bum bag bought at a fishing store, likely for wading style fishing.  2 compartments, R100. 

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 03:07:27 pm »
The Giant loop bags are nice, waterproof and sturdy. HSK has the Mojavi saddlebags, they work really well and they are not too bulky.

How big is your bum?  ;)
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Scrat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 03:49:13 pm »
Bought one but will not use it..
it's one of these ... still brand new if someone might be interested?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/9419/i/thor-motocross-tech-chamber-tool-pack

Call us Crazy!! But what an ADVENTURE!!

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 04:13:09 pm »
Bought one but will not use it..
it's one of these ... still brand new if someone might be interested?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/9419/i/thor-motocross-tech-chamber-tool-pack

How much?
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Minxy

• Race Dog
  • óÔÔò >^.^< óÔÔò
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 04:43:47 pm »

How big is your bum?  ;)

Hahaha, for some reason I was thinking bum bag for a bike, aka saddlebag! I'm going crazy :P
Anyway, saw some actual waist/bum bags at full throttle. Something like this:
http://www.fullthrottle.co.za/online/viewproduct.php?productid=1565
*              ★·.·´¯`·.·★   "I'm in love with a strict machine"  ★·.·´¯`·.·★               *
www.facebook.com/barbara.muszynski/ Hit follow!
Current: KTM 950SE, Husqvarna 701, KTM 500, Honda LS 125 Previous: Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000 DCT, KTM 950 SE, KTM 950 Adv, Aprilia 650 Pegaso Trail, BMW G450X, Husqvarna 350FE, KTM 690RFR
Ride Reports:
Xmas Xtreme - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=233018.0 Hearts in the Desert -  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241236.0

Offline Weedkiller - Adie

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 10:31:00 pm »
Hi

Be careful,

based on Section 5 of the Amageza Provisional regs as per 8 April 2015 (which is just an extract of the full regs based on the references and links)

** snip **
The Amageza Rallye is open to “Marathon, Super Production, Quads and Cars” Machines with either 2 or 4
wheels, freely available for sale or not, adapted to “Cross­Country” use and complying to the norms imposed
by the ​ FIM Technical Regulations for Cross­Country Rallies​ , and the FIA regulations for T3 class cars as
stipulated in ​ FIA Article 286​ .
** Snap **

then in said document on page 62
** snip **
Transport of fuel in any other way than in fuel tanks designed for this purpose
is forbidden. Similarly, transport of objects, parts, tools… susceptible to
cause injuries to a rider (back pack, belt…) is forbidden. Failure to respect
this rule will result in the start being refused.
** snap **

Also on total/extra water page 62 again
** snip **
080.28  SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT
The compulsory survival equipment, for the Rallies held in a desert
environment is the following:
•   Each  motorcycle  must  be  equipped  with  a  reserve  of  drinking  water
of a capacity of three litres minimum. This water must be able to be
reached without effort and without any tool, regardless of the position
of the machine
•   A soft water tank of minimum 2 litres carried by the rider, of a “Camelbak”
type
** snap **

Me think we all better read the whole 142 pages as not to buy/do things that is not allowed.

At the end it all boils down to a few simple rules.  Safety, even playing field and a moerse challenge. (If it is not safe it is illegal, if it allows you to cheat, its illegal, if it was easy we would not do it.  >:D )

Adie

Laat ons Stof maak.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 10:52:46 pm »
Keep in mind - use is for extreme endures and Amageza
 :thumleft:

Where do the Dakar rally riders keep their tools? If Amageza prohibit tools on body I suppose Dakar will be the same?

Sub

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2015, 08:16:19 am »

Where do the Dakar rally riders keep their tools? If Amageza prohibit tools on body I suppose Dakar will be the same?

Sub
Certainly not in tool belts from what I have seen, on the bike. I reckon tool belts are more used by enduro riders going at slow speed.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 08:34:08 am »

Sub
Certainly not in tool belts from what I have seen, on the bike. I reckon tool belts are more used by enduro riders going at slow speed.

Enduro riders at slow speed   :spitcoffee:
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 08:38:49 am »
Attaching it to your tripper means you've put the weight back on your shoulders.
Negates the idea of putting the weight on your hips, so might as well use a backpack.

AFAIK for Amageza and other rallies, no tools are allowed to be carried on your body anyway - so you're bum bag should be quite light.

I have seen Koos at Amageza put his tools in the lower back pocket of his jacket.  Folds nice and flat and wide.
The weight distribution is then through the whole jacket and not just shoulder straps of a backpack.
With the water bladder also incorporated in the jacket it looked like a nice setup.

then in said document on page 62
** snip **
Similarly, transport of objects, parts, tools… susceptible to
cause injuries to a rider (back pack, belt…) is forbidden. Failure to respect
this rule will result in the start being refused.
** snap **

This rule is a bit open for interpretation. It does not forbid a backpack or tools on the body but only forbids such items if they are likely to cause injury.
Correctly designed items such as a backpack might actually add protection as opposed to being a hazard in my opinion.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2015, 04:10:22 pm »

[/quote]

Enduro riders at slow speed   :spitcoffee:

[/quote]

:imaposer:

Indeed - you need to see the Wade Young's and Travis Teesdale's etc faaaarkoff these days ... while there may be 'slow' technical sections there are also high speed MX and offraod sections too and they travel on rails at warp speeds my bru.  :o
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2015, 04:15:52 pm »

:imaposer:

Indeed - you need to see the Wade Young's and Travis Teesdale's etc faaaarkoff these days ... while there may be 'slow' technical sections there are also high speed MX and offraod sections too and they travel on rails at warp speeds my bru.  :o
Fark dudes lets not get technical you know what I mean, enduro / extreme enduro is totally different to rally raid and Amageza etc. Just saying I have seen very few rally events with tool / bum bags on the waist. Still think it's a kark idea to have sharp metal bits strapped to your body when flying down the road at 100km/h, my friend had an off and the tyre lever popped out his backpack and landed on the ground next to him could have gone anywhere  >:( But yes many other ways to get injured as well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:20:26 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 05:36:57 pm »
AAAAAND back to the subject at hand
I tried on a Leatt one - its very nice.
So now its between the scott, Leatt, and The KTM one that also looks good.
Looking at prices now and will decide
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 03:27:56 pm »
AAAAAND back to the subject at hand
I tried on a Leatt one - its very nice.
So now its between the scott, Leatt, and The KTM one that also looks good.
Looking at prices now and will decide

How does the pricing compare?

Offline SteveD

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 03:48:10 pm »

Eventually, somebody realised that Dakar follows the example that Amageza sets. Well done, sir  :notworthy:

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 05:09:51 pm »

Eventually, somebody realised that Dakar follows the example that Amageza sets. Well done, sir  :notworthy:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:  Ingels, dis 'n snaakse taal.