Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kawasaki H2  (Read 12500 times)

Offline Bensien

Re: Kawasaki H2
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2015, 08:46:56 pm »
The Hayabusa set a performance standard 16 years ago, and since then every improvement has been incremental. We seem to be stuck at a self-imposed 200hp, 300kph limit. The H2 is merely the next small, hesitant step forward. Some manufacturer should grow a pair and build the 250hp 160kg road legal bike they are all capable of doing if they really wanted to. That will be a genuine advance
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2015, 08:48:59 pm »
The Hayabusa set a performance standard 16 years ago, and since then every improvement has been incremental. We seem to be stuck at a self-imposed 200hp, 300kph limit. The H2 is merely the next small, hesitant step forward. Some manufacturer should grow a pair and build the 250hp 160kg road legal bike they are all capable of doing if they really wanted to. That will be a genuine advance

If they shave off enough weight they would not need a SuperCharger. ;D

Offline Coala

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2015, 07:31:18 am »

[/quote]

Precisely my thoughts, really great bike, but not one that stands head and shoulders above the rest. Such machines are few and far between, and I can think of Suzuki T500,
Honda CB750, Kawasaki Z900, Yamaha RD350, Suzuki GSX-R 750 "pre-sling". These were all a huge step forward.
[/quote]

I would add as of late the BMW 1000RR (not even the HP4 - even while i own one it came from the rr).  The rr started the electronics revolution in terms of rider aides and set new levels of performance and comfort for the average man on the street.  It also put the cat amongst the pigeons and the likes of Dugatti and Kawa had to play catch-up as far as electronics go.  So i feel the rr has a place in history.  Whether the H2 now sets again the bar i am not sure.  Slapping a supercharger on in my humble view does not set the bar.  There are guys who turboed the rr.  That said, i like all bikes and think Kawwa has made a damn good looking bike. 

Upping the performance of a bike does not set the bar (those who are old enough would recall the epic battels between the Hybusas and the Black Birds).  Those bikes could do 300 and those crazy enough to slap turbos on even faster.  It is how a bike handles the power, the overall package that sets the bar.

and for that - as much as i like the Kawwa, only time will tell as only a luckly few had to privilege to ride one.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2015, 08:28:55 am »

The 300km/h/200hp limit was set by the EU, not the manufacturers, which is why the H2 only makes 200hp. The way it gets up to 200hp is what makes it special. Sadly we will not be seeing any 250hp bikes soon, until there is a revolution in Europe and all the Pruis-driving bureaucrats are burned at the stake.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2015, 08:43:02 am »

The 300km/h/200hp limit was set by the EU, not the manufacturers, which is why the H2 only makes 200hp. The way it gets up to 200hp is what makes it special. Sadly we will not be seeing any 250hp bikes soon, until there is a revolution in Europe and all the Pruis-driving bureaucrats are burned at the stake.

I thought the limits are as a result of a voluntary agreement between some manufacturers, like the 250 kmh limit  with motor vehicles. After all, the German made Munch Mammoth makes 250hp and you can also buy a 445hp Boss Hoss in Europe. MV Augusta also claims a top speed of 312 for the F4, although this has never been achieved in practice.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2015, 08:47:52 am »

I thought the limits are as a result of a voluntary agreement between some manufacturers, like the 250 kmh limit  with motor vehicles. After all, the German made Munch Mammoth makes 250hp and you can also buy a 445hp Boss Hoss in Europe. MV Augusta also claims a top speed of 312 for the F4, although this has never been achieved in practice.

It was agreed upon by the manufacturers because of stern warnings from the EU. Rather they limit bikes themselves to 200hp before the EU goes French and throws a blanket 100hp limit on everything.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2015, 09:44:36 pm »
I chatted to Mat Durrans today, as we are shooting a piece about the H2 for The Bike Show tomorrow. He agreed that this thing is stupidly fast, but it's speed doesn't come from it's top end or top speed ability, but rather the way it loads on the power from low down, giving the acceleration that most bikes only achieve at the very top end of the rev range.

Ive changed my mind. It's definitely a step forward. I've ridden it, and a fellow veteran journalist agrees with me. I shall hear no more arguments. Only praise.

Bow you down to the H2 you peasants! Mwaahahahaha...

:3some:

Offline Bensien

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2015, 10:28:52 pm »
Pity I sold my Neels Geldenhuys built Hayabusa. It would have been interesting to do a few roll on tests against an H2. In 5th gear it would out accelerate a 1098 in 3rd and it was my daily transport for more than two years.

By the way, I wonder if Matt Durrans remembers me . Iím the idiot who wiped out in spectacular fashion at the 2 Wheels magazine Ultimate Road test at Gerotek.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2015, 10:41:29 pm »
I chatted to Mat Durrans today, as we are shooting a piece about the H2 for The Bike Show tomorrow. He agreed that this thing is stupidly fast, but it's speed doesn't come from it's top end or top speed ability, but rather the way it loads on the power from low down, giving the acceleration that most bikes only achieve at the very top end of the rev range.

Ive changed my mind. It's definitely a step forward. I've ridden it, and a fellow veteran journalist agrees with me. I shall hear no more arguments. Only praise.

Bow you down to the H2 you peasants! Mwaahahahaha...

:3some:

Well, you guys have the oppurtunities, give us some 0-100, and quartermile times. Comparisons.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2015, 10:45:51 pm »
Trying to get an accurate 0-100 time on a motorcycle is like trying to get a cat to pose for a photo.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2015, 11:48:01 pm »
We should soon see these 'drag races' on youtube between various tweaked bikes and the H2
I agree with Donovan here with regards to 0 to 100
It should be the same rider in the same conditions and then a slight hesitation on either bike (reaction time) at pull away will blow it
Years ago we had a drag test between 2 cars and the one guy kept on winning in the Sierra, I convinced them to swap cars and guess what? - then the driver who was winning every time in the Sierra now was winning every time in the old 325.
I cant help to think though: Till proven wrong I will bet that the H2 is the quickest standard production motorcycle from 0-299km/h

Offline Coala

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2015, 06:49:16 am »

Offline Bensien

« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2015, 08:09:30 am »
Some facts are beginning to emerge. The real reason for the development of the H2 was not performance, but emissions. It is becoming increasingly difficult to build a naturally aspirated high capacity, high performance engine that will comply with current and future emission regulations. They H2ís CO2 emissions are half that of the ZX14.

Offline jagter

« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2015, 08:29:19 am »
Someone took delivery of an H2R yesterday.

Check out holeshot's facebook page.

Not sure if it's really taking delivery, or maybe for testing. But lot's of handshaking and posing for pics, so I assume someone bought it.

https://www.facebook.com/holeshotmotorcyclesk90?fref=photo

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2015, 10:17:32 am »
Someone took delivery of an H2R yesterday.

Check out holeshot's facebook page.

Not sure if it's really taking delivery, or maybe for testing. But lot's of handshaking and posing for pics, so I assume someone bought it.

https://www.facebook.com/holeshotmotorcyclesk90?fref=photo

That is indeed at Kawasaki SA with a customer who flew one in.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2015, 11:17:05 am »
Trying to get an accurate 0-100 time on a motorcycle is like trying to get a cat to pose for a photo.

At least you can kill the cat first, then it will sit still. :peepwall:

A dead mouterbaaik won't produce good times.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:38 am »
Some facts are beginning to emerge. The real reason for the development of the H2 was not performance, but emissions. It is becoming increasingly difficult to build a naturally aspirated high capacity, high performance engine that will comply with current and future emission regulations. They H2ís CO2 emissions are half that of the ZX14.

Aha, so the kawa is 'green'!!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2015, 11:19:54 am »

Ask "Car" magazine to help you, they have reliable ways of getting these specs.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2015, 03:57:39 pm »

Ask "Car" magazine to help you, they have reliable ways of getting these specs.

Ha ha! Yes, snip your balls off and start driving cars for a living.

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2015, 04:16:14 pm »