Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Kawasaki H2  (Read 12503 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Kawasaki H2
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2015, 07:28:53 am »
Here we have another 1000cc inline transverse 4/4stroke, but it is also different in that it is supercharged.

Supercharging brings more maintenance, more electronics, and more cost.

How does it compare head-on to the 2015 Yamaha R1, in acceleration and on top end?  Is the H2 significantly faster, to really warrant the overcomplication of a blown engine?

How does it compare in price, and in long-term maintenance? What does it service schedule say?

If it was not intended to be compared to a super-sharp tool like the Yamaha R1, then it was intended to be a sport-tourer? 

In which case, would the trusty and equally fast Hayabusa not be a better, or as good, a choice?

I can understand the normal desire of people to want to own the first of a model, especially one as different as this, and with all the hype around it........but,

is it just hype, or is this Kawasaki better than current superbikes/sport-tourers?  If it is, how?

Offline Bensien

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2015, 08:00:48 am »
Riding position of a superbike, weight of  sport tourer, so not a viable alternative for either. Not a technological leap either. Just a production version of what has been done in private workshops for a very long time.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2015, 09:52:33 am »
best out of the 750 was 220 Km/h

Janee!  The bikes of that era had extremely fast speedos!   :ricky:

#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 05:50:35 pm »
To some people life is all about questions and endless arguments and I think sometimes they through their own shit with stones....

To other like us:
To be happy comes natural - one is responsible for your own happiness
Change is great
performance is great
Bikes like the H2 is a form of art
It is like good music!

So one is either happy or a stirrer and a moangat

Anti depressants fork for some people, some however die miserable

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 05:53:47 pm »
To some people life is all about questions and endless arguments and I think sometimes they through their own shit with stones....

To other like us:
To be happy comes natural - one is responsible for your own happiness
Change is great
performance is great
Bikes like the H2 is a form of art
It is like good music!

So one is either happy or a stirrer and a moangat

Anti depressants fork for some people, some however die miserable

Should'nt you be on the "Dr Feelgood's feeling good" forum?

Alternatively try and explain to us why you see the H2 as a leap forward?

Offline MARCAL

Re:
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2015, 07:35:47 pm »
The idea behind the h2 is to showcase kawasaki's abilities overall. It seems the bike does handle , atleast better than the bussa and zx14.
The R is the most powerful production bike ever produced. Harnessing all that power in such a short wheelbase  and getting it to handle is a engineering feat in itself.

The supercharger was designed by their turbine devison,  and intake by their aero space devision.
Think of all the extra heat that the cooling system needs to handle.

The trelly frame needs to be rigid and strong enough to handle all those ponies. I guess this is where the weight comes from.

I am sure a bit of tunning will uleash the real beast from the h2.

Offline Tom van Brits

Re:
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2015, 08:42:13 pm »
The idea behind the h2 is to showcase kawasaki's abilities overall. It seems the bike does handle , atleast better than the bussa and zx14.
The R is the most powerful production bike ever produced. Harnessing all that power in such a short wheelbase  and getting it to handle is a engineering feat in itself.

The supercharger was designed by their turbine devison,  and intake by their aero space devision.

The trelly frame needs to be rigid and strong enough to handle all those ponies. I guess this is where the weight comes from.

Brilliant, what I failed to say you have summed up in a few sentences!
Great post

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
Re:
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2015, 10:02:36 pm »

Do not see this a negativism, but what is the point of showcasing a bike, when it becomes heavier, and thus loses a motorcycles' big advantage, nimbleness.
Yes, they make up in power, but that is the start of a vicious circle. More power demands stronger[heavier] frame, forks, swingarm, and eventually......even more power.
The ancient Hayabusa will tour as well as this showcase bike , the new R1 will kill it around a track.
What sort f showcasing is this?

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2015, 07:50:16 am »
Danie, I think you're missing the point.  There are two bikes being released.  The topic should be H2 / H2R.  The H2R is the most powerful production bike... (Clarkson voice) in the world.  It's a platform to showcase KHI's engineering - and I'm absolutely positive that much, if not all of the electronics will find it's way onto the ZX range.

It's also apparently a phenomenal platform for drag racing - significantly faster than production versions of the new Yamaha R1 or Hayabusa in a straight line, I'm sure.  It's NOT a track bike, but probably the fastest street bike money can buy.  I'm also sure that you could get an H2 very close to the H2R's performance without too much fettering.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SBP37Sk1mgU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SBP37Sk1mgU</a>
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2015, 11:34:01 am »
IDR, I cannot doubt that this thing is ridiculously fast, and will be a good platform for dragracing. BUT it is not going to dragrace against production normally aspirated
Hayabusas, the Suzukis will also get blown for drags. Then they will compare again.
I do believe that it is commendable that Kawa is brave enough to launch this in the face of the anti-performance brigade.

I do believe however that the H2 is not a significant step forward for motorcycling, not in the sense that the 1985 GSX-R was better in every respect than the GSX range it replaced.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2015, 11:38:40 am »

Well Dan, why is there a demand for any of us to explain any of our own opinions to each other? 

I think the H2 is a leap forward.

I think Dorna rules to help Ducati is a good thing for racing.

I think factory teams should be banned from WSBK.

I think Kagga Kamma is a lekker holiday spot.

Why the heck do I need to provide any proof to you, or anyone else.  It is my opinion and this is not a court of law.  Of course you can be of the opinion that my opinion is wrong and that is your right.  Too many discussions tend to turn into a pissing contests because two people are trying to proof an opinion.  You can't.  You can proof facts, but not opinions.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
Re:
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2015, 11:40:34 am »

Do not see this a negativism, but what is the point of showcasing a bike, when it becomes heavier, and thus loses a motorcycles' big advantage, nimbleness.
Yes, they make up in power, but that is the start of a vicious circle. More power demands stronger[heavier] frame, forks, swingarm, and eventually......even more power.
The ancient Hayabusa will tour as well as this showcase bike , the new R1 will kill it around a track.

I like to call people who simply stare at the spec sheet all day "spec sheet auditors". Sorry matey.

Remember, that weight only applies to track-orientated bikes. The H2 is road-orientated. Heavier means it's more stable, and more confidence-inducing. All the aerodynamic features, and there are plenty, make doing 299km/h a doddle in the park. Not in terms of it's ability to get there, but rather what it feels like at the speed.

When you open the throttle, the spec sheet goes out the window, your arms tense and your grin widens.

Also, it goes CHOOCHOOCHOOCHOO every time you shut off. That makes it worth it on its own!

The supercharger isn't new, but no-one else has done it on a motorcycle. Perhaps this is a step the motorcycling industry should have made ages ago, and in the future, when turbos and superchargers are commonplace, we will look back and remember that Kawasaki was the first.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
Re:
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2015, 11:42:32 am »
Also, it goes CHOOCHOOCHOOCHOO every time you shut off. That makes it worth it on its own!

That alone makes me smile, even if I am not the one riding it.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
Re:
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2015, 11:45:49 am »

I like to call people who simply stare at the spec sheet all day "spec sheet auditors". Sorry matey.

Remember, that weight only applies to track-orientated bikes. The H2 is road-orientated. Heavier means it's more stable, and more confidence-inducing. All the aerodynamic features, and there are plenty, make doing 299km/h a doddle in the park. Not in terms of it's ability to get there, but rather what it feels like at the speed.

When you open the throttle, the spec sheet goes out the window, your arms tense and your grin widens.

The supercharger isn't new, but no-one else has done it on a motorcycle. Perhaps this is a step the motorcycling industry should have made ages ago, and in the future, when turbos and superchargers are commonplace, we will look back and remember that Kawasaki was the first.

The H2 is road orientated. Heavier, means more stable, and more confidence-inducing. 299 is a doddle.

Now my question simply is.......have the Hayabusa not been doing this for 10years? So how is this a step forward? Honest question.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:21 am »

Well Dan, why is there a demand for any of us to explain any of our own opinions to each other? 

I think the H2 is a leap forward.

I think Dorna rules to help Ducati is a good thing for racing.

I think factory teams should be banned from WSBK.

I think Kagga Kamma is a lekker holiday spot.

Why the heck do I need to provide any proof to you, or anyone else.  It is my opinion and this is not a court of law.  Of course you can be of the opinion that my opinion is wrong and that is your right.  Too many discussions tend to turn into a pissing contests because two people are trying to proof an opinion.  You can't.  You can proof facts, but not opinions.

No AMZ, no need to "prove" your opinion to anyone. Why are you still posting here then?

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2015, 11:52:10 am »
No AMZ, no need to "prove" your opinion to anyone. Why are you still posting here then?

To share opinions.  With some we debate opinions. 
To read other opinions, especially those who can debate opinions.
To share in the good humour and jokes.
To read and talk about technical problems and how they are resolved.
To prove something I know to be factually correct, if important enough.
Various other reasons.

You?
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:29 pm »
Just answer the simple question........does the new H2 set a benchmark standard, enough for it to be placed on this pedestal?

Perhaps it does, only Donovan here has ridden one.  Is it better than the ZX14/Hayabusa? If so, how?

I would like to know, and do not tell me it makes likes a 1936 steam loco on the overrun. :imaposer:

Offline 2-Stroke

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Britten (all models)
  • The Bike Show
    • The Bike Show
Re:
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2015, 12:38:37 pm »

The H2 is road orientated. Heavier, means more stable, and more confidence-inducing. 299 is a doddle.

Now my question simply is.......have the Hayabusa not been doing this for 10years? So how is this a step forward? Honest question.

It has, but on the H2 you will see the Hayabusa as a small speck in your mirror.

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2015, 12:41:17 pm »
Just answer the simple question........does the new H2 set a benchmark standard, enough for it to be placed on this pedestal?

Does it set the benchmark?   It most certainly does.  For me.  For now.  In some ways, I.e. acceleration, looks, and a few other small things.   I am not sure about it going on a pedestal though.  I don't see it there myself, nor did anyone else really place it on a pedestal.  It is drawing a lot of attention and for me it is similar to the (already said this way back in the thread), like the Busa, Blackbird, possibly CBX 6.  You could argue about them all day.  Cal them the benchmark.  Call them crap.  You could not ignore them.

Is it better than the ZX14/Hayabusa? If so, how?

Yes.  Most certainly.  How?  I have no idea.  It is a feeling that proves nothing and I cannot explain and I haven't ridden it myself.  It is faster on acceleration.  It will probably be on top speed if not limited, I don't know.  It is again, like the Busa, Blackbird, CBX6.  I had a hot opinion about them long before I rode them.  (Never did ride a CBX6)   

I would like to know, and do not tell me it makes likes a 1936 steam loco on the overrun. :imaposer:

A 1936 steam locomotive did that!  Man alive!  If I was around I would have liked a 1936 steam locomotive too!   :ricky:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:55:03 pm by AMZ »
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »
So the H2 accelerates faster than the Hayabusa? This is what I wanted to know, bacause if the H2 were not faster than the Hayabusa, then where would it be better?