Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Why not a Puzey  (Read 1876 times)

Offline SchalkL

Why not a Puzey
« on: April 19, 2015, 05:04:09 am »
Why or why not buy a Puzey XTR4 300 Trail bike for offroad? Talk to me!
Purpose of the bike will be technical and normal dirt riding at a moderate pace, never touring.  Basically looking for something lighter than a KLR to difficult stuff with.
Suggested Retail:   R39,990.00

Description: The XTR-4 is an innovative product designed and produced in South Africa. All the RND and development is carried out in Africa over some of the toughest terrain in the world ensuring the product will meet the market requirements in any country. The XTR4 300 Enduro are modified versions of the MX, equipped with lights, mirrors and lights needed to create a fully road legal version. All XRT-4's are fitted with the patented CAM Link system and in just a few seconds the seat height can be adjusted up to 45mm with the 'Cam link' height adjustable function making the machine more suitable for the smaller people or beginners. A testament to this bike's performance capabilities is the fact that two of these bikes achieved Bronze finishes at arguably the toughest offroad race in the world, the Roof of Africa.

SPECIFICATIONS
Type:   Water-cooled, 4 valve
Displacement:   300cc
Fuel Consumption:   28km/litre
Max Power HP/RPM:   28@8,500RPM
Max Torque NM/RPM:   28Nm@7,500RPM
Max Speed:   145km/h
Transmission:   6-Speed
Clutch Type:   Wet clutch
Final Transmission:   Chain
Starting System:   Electric and kick start
CHASSIS
Brakes:   Hydraulic SS discs front and rear
Tyre Size:   Front and rear 17
Suspension:   Front: race forks/Rear: 250Lbs/comp/rebound
Handlebar Setup:   Standard
DIMENSIONS
Length (L x W x H):   2,110 x 810 x 1,220mm
Seat Height:   850 - 925mm
Wheelbase:   1,505mm
Minimum Ground Clearance:   280mm
Dry Weight:   121kg
Tank Capacity:   9.5 litres
USAGE
Max Rider Weight:   130kg
Age Requirement:   Learners license - 18yrs
Rider Level:   Intermediate to advanced
Application:   Local area commuting and off-road
Warranty Period:   Road 2 year/30,000km carry-in warranty against manufacturer defects (please click here to view full warranty terms and conditions)
Run-in Service:   500km/1 month from date of purchase (whichever comes first)
Service Intervals:   Every 2,000km/6 months (whichever comes first)
IMPORTANT:   Failure to maintain full service history will void Warranty and Warranty is not transferable
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:04:40 am by SchalkL »
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans

Offline desertfox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • BMW F650GS
Re: Why not a Puzey
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:56:49 am »
 :thumleft: there is also a 400 shineray that they import that looks up for it is not road legal thoug.
My the force be with You

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:57:33 am »
To start with, the 28HP is a bit low for a 300cc. That is 1976 Yamaha XT500 power.

Of course, this does not mean that it will not make an excellent trail bike, it could.

I would personally much rather look for a Japanese bike in that price-class 2nd hand.

I do like the electric and kick start.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:00:55 am by 2StrokeDan »

Offline Bens

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Set your priorities - and stick with them
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 08:04:40 am »
I have a 200 Puzey that was my commute for little over a year. 
100 km p/d at highway speeds.
Got 128 kph GPS with the wind from behind and me moulded to the tank.
Starting to rebuild the engine now after main bearing knock, but she gave my great service up till now. As soon as I have her running my wife will take her.
Only problem till the bearing went was the speedo cluster

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:07:01 am »
I have a 200 Puzey that was my commute for little over a year. 
100 km p/d at highway speeds.
Got 128 kph GPS with the wind from behind and me moulded to the tank.
Starting to rebuild the engine now after main bearing knock, but she gave my great service up till now. As soon as I have her running my wife will take her.
Only problem till the bearing went was the speedo cluster

IOW, engine failure at 36000kms?

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 08:18:32 am »
To start with, the 28HP is a bit low for a 300cc. That is 1976 Yamaha XT500 power.

Of course, this does not mean that it will not make an excellent trail bike, it could.

I would personally much rather look for a Japanese bike in that price-class 2nd hand.

2Sd, as much as I hate your comments about BMW's  ;D ;) , I value your technical knowledge and experience, so:
If the puzey will be used for roads next to the railroad, farmpaths, thick sand on the bots border, rocky climbs at some places, always trailered to the start, is this really not powerfull enough. Myself and HennieS are 50+, ride 1200 for touring and use KLR's for the above but they getting heavy to pick up so we are looking for something that will work in the 40k price range.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 08:28:37 am »

2Sd, as much as I hate your comments about BMW's  ;D ;) , I value your technical knowledge and experience, so:
If the puzey will be used for roads next to the railroad, farmpaths, thick sand on the bots border, rocky climbs at some places, always trailered to the start, is this really not powerfull enough. Myself and HennieS are 50+, ride 1200 for touring and use KLR's for the above but they getting heavy to pick up so we are looking for something that will work in the 40k price range.

It is absolutely powerful enough, I really think that one of the best playbikes/trailbikes would be a modern chassis fitted with an old XT500 engine.

BUT, the old 500 made 28HP with heaps of LOW-down power, really low rev stuff.  Just make sure that this engine does not make 28HP at 8500RPM, and stalls at anything
under 3000RPM.
Another point, they say designed and produced in SA, while it should be designed and assembled in SA.  These are Chinese components, and how would components like plastics and rubber parts stand up compared to the Japs?
For that purchase price you can get a very good WR450, or a 250.

Resale value is another department where I think this bike might lose you more money.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:30:06 am by 2StrokeDan »

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 08:47:12 am »

2Sd, as much as I hate your comments about BMW's  ;D ;) , I value your technical knowledge and experience, so:

It is absolutely powerful enough, I really think that one of the best playbikes/trailbikes would be a modern chassis fitted with an old XT500 engine.

BUT, the old 500 made 28HP with heaps of LOW-down power, really low rev stuff.  Just make sure that this engine does not make 28HP at 8500RPM, and stalls at anything
under 3000RPM.
Another point, they say designed and produced in SA, while it should be designed and assembled in SA.  These are Chinese components, and how would components like plastics and rubber parts stand up compared to the Japs?
For that purchase price you can get a very good WR450, or a 250.

Resale value is another department where I think this bike might lose you more money.
Make sense, TX.

Offline SHANEB

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 09:07:31 am »
In tight and technical stuff horsepower is not really an issue, and if you are casually cruising around on dirt roads hp is also not really an issue. With good preperation (lots of loctite and make sure everything is greased and lubed correctly) and good maintainence they will probably be ok as trailbikes. If you decide to go for it, it will be interesting to get some feedback.
My Digital Photo Gear. www.facebook.com/MyDigitalPhotoGear
       For all your Photographic Equipment.

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 09:26:56 am »
Die Yamaha XT 250 is 1kg ligter, 2hp minder en R 6000 duurder as die Puzey. (Volgens my vriend wat een vir sy vrou wil koop.)

Ek sal nie R40k vir 'n Puzey betaal nie.

Ek gebruik 'n Suzuki DR 650 SE vir tegniese terrein. Heelwat ligter as 'n KLR.

Ek en my vriend het al met die vrouens se DR 200s teer en grond gery. Mits jy jouself reg instel, is dit hope pret teen maks 90km/h.

Onthou net meeste van ons is gewigtig. Ek weeg 96kg. Die DR 200 se suspensie trek swaar op rowwe terrein.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline Grappa

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 09:58:50 am »
Nice looking bike, however, never judge a book by it's cover. An extra 10k odd will get you a Yamaha XT 250 or Honda CRF250

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 10:11:06 am »
The Puzey is a good bike IMHO.

But I didn't have R40k. So I got myself an old 1981 XL500S for R10k.

Then another +- R15k for rebuild, including the engine, and all frame bearings etc.

Now I got a very lekker bike for riding to the rougher stuff, and it plays lekker there too.

Just no happy button...  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline JMG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Miss my orange bike!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 10:17:18 am »
My 2c worth as an owner of a puzey bike in the shape of a  TVS.  what I like about them is that when you call to book a service or repairs they tell you just to bring it in, all but once was same day service. What pissed me off a little is that I got it back from a service once with an oil leak, on the sump plug. When I returned the bike they charged me R260 to fix it. My second pissed off feeling was when I wanted to trade it in on a 200 I was told they don't buy their own bikes back! They would only park it on the floor and sell it for commission.
 Friend of mine owns a xtr but only to commute on it. In two years the only issue he had was the speedo packed up but was replaced free of charge

I must add that at least for the tvs it's an excellent product and the build quality is better than say Big boy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:26:48 am by JMG »
Honda XR 650L, Royal Enfield 500 classic, TVS APACHE 180, Ktm 640 adventure R, Yamaha XT250.

Offline SchalkL

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 10:41:55 am »
Thanks for all the info. One thing I forgot to mention was that I MUST have a happy button.
After 3 hours in the sand on the Bots border I refuse to kick anything except maybe the bucket  :P

Offline desertfox

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • BMW F650GS
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 11:00:07 am »
Why not get a DRZ400S which is 145kg wet only 14.5 kg heaver as the Puzey but 100cc more and very reliable and u can get a god example for R30000 and have R10000 for farkles.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:10:40 am by desertfox »
My the force be with You

Offline Omninorm

Re:
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 01:00:35 pm »
Honda xr150l has 12.5nm at 6000rpm, weighs 129kg Wet and goes for about R20000
Or you guys can get more purposeful offroad bikes.
Wr450f weighs 119kg wet an makes 53bhp with much better suspension, I just found a roadworthy Kawasaki KLX450R 115kg dry with 57bhp and 50nm torque.

all 3 have happy buttons and lights
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »
After 3 hours in the sand on the Bots border I refuse to kick anything except maybe the bucket

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 05:33:26 pm »
The answer should be quite simple mate, it still is manufactured in China with Chinese quality of material (quality of the steel and rubber and plastic)
No matter how much they try to tell you it is under 'supervision or licence', it still is manufactured from their quality of materials

The best advice for the type of riding you intend to do is a Jap plastic like a WR250

Online Chukudeer

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 07:17:27 pm »
The answer should be quite simple mate, it still is manufactured in China with Chinese quality of material (quality of the steel and rubber and plastic)
No matter how much they try to tell you it is under 'supervision or licence', it still is manufactured from their quality of materials

The best advice for the type of riding you intend to do is a Jap plastic like a WR250

Fully agreed. +100000
KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 08:00:32 pm »
I weigh about 85 kg, and have a Honda CRF230F...... Light on fuel... bulletproof engine and good resale value.
Best lightweight trail bike I've owned since my XR200R.... paid R17k for it. Can't go wrong with one of the big 4 Japs! IMHO :3some:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic