Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Which front tyre for Off-Road?  (Read 812 times)

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Which front tyre for Off-Road?
« on: April 19, 2015, 02:56:03 pm »
Ok, it's pretty specific but I've been using Pirelli Scorpions XC mid-soft for the last couple of years but I keep tearing the side knobblies off.

No big deal coz I just keep on replacing tyres but now I've got a mousse in and can't do it myself. Obviously I'd like the next tyre to last a long, long time. At least as long as the mousse.

the pirelli seemed great as there was hardly any wear over an extended period but losing these knobblies is beginning to get to me.  I use the same on the back and get decent life out of it without any knobs going missing.

What do you guys use for off-road, trail riding, etc - not enduro specific tyres
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:13:23 am by Cracker »
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
Re: Which front tyre for Off-Road?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:12:04 am »
Cracker I use Mitas C23 on my XR650. It is fairly aggressive. but seems to be fine on dry tar.

On my 2nd one now and can't see myself looking elsewhere.

Another positive is they will not break the bank.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Buff

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:36:11 am »
Not sure if it's for your 650 or Offroad bike but I have:

Pirelli MT21 on my 690 and enjoying it  :thumleft: Just don't think I'll get great mileage out of it.

Mitas C19 Yellow on my Beta 300 and so far so good  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline bonova

• Race Dog
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:05:33 pm »
Hey bud! Guessing this for ur 450?
Mich desert race front is one of my favorites. It lasts well and still has traction when its very worn. Ive only managed to damage one and that was a cut from a rock and was still ridable. The desert has a thicker carcass and stiffer sidewall. But its not great for grarley enduro stuff....more for faster open stuff.
Mitas c23 has had great reports from guys i must say but ive never used one.
I really like the mitas C17 and c19 fronts on my enduro bike. (C 19 more for sandy and muddy. C17 has closer nobs and seems better on hard pack and rocks imo)

Btw..., a front mousse is not that hard to fit bud. The rally ones are a bit tough but the enduro ones are not that hard. I fit all my own enduro mousses front and rear....without a tyre stand. Helps to have some extra hands...but its all in the technique
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 05:59:09 pm »
Yep, for the 450 - for fast, open off-road. Pretty much like the amageza but without the long sandy roads and tar bits. All sorts of terrain but not much technical, rock-hopping roof type stuff.

I've been thinking of fitting a desert, I liked it on the 650 - it also seems tough enough to hold a mousse for a longer time. I'm not racing for a win but having a DNF coz of a puncture turns a good day kak.

My front mousse seems very pap now but I'm not sure when to change it - I can push the surface of the tyre in quite easily - as a guess, I'd equate it to less than .5bar.

I was riding this weekend and the front felt very unstable around corners - so much so that I lost confidence and slowed down - not something I like doing.  :( :(

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 11:42:35 am »
Side knobblies breaking off front tyre is from wheelie-ing on tar. The knobs break off when the wheel hits the tar.

'69 Model.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:10:36 pm »
Ok, fitted a desert as well as the same mousse. With the stronger carcass, it feels hard again.

And fitting the mousse was as easy/hard as fitting a UHD tube - no problems. I didn't throw any tools around the garage, for a change  :thumleft: