Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: JD Tuner  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Straatkat

JD Tuner
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:54:04 pm »
Has anybody tried a JD tuning module on their 610's?
I bought one and will be collecting it from a friend in the US soon, was just wondering if anybody has one on their bikes.
Would really like to hear about how well they work.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline sidetrack

Re: JD Tuner
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:01:04 am »
Think Big Dom used it with success
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Online Xpat

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:15:17 am »
I have one on 630. It's been on for a long time - it made big difference, especially as I had the airbox drilled and the fuelling was a bit off.

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 08:16:14 am »
I have one on my bike.
It is a doddle to fit, I just left it on the recommended settings from JD, which is a bit on the rich side.
The bike definitely pulls stronger and is cleaner off the throttle although the fuel consumption went up.
Theoretically the bike should be dyno'ed but I have never got around to it as I got involved with the Rottweiler filter and jet kit for my SE.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 08:35:51 am »
RR, I have ordered both the Rotti kit for my SE and the JD Tuner for the Husky, never actually dabbled in performance enhancers, but they are actually so much more and improve the way the bike feels and rides if I go by the comments on various forums so I decided to give it a go.
I also think if you spend the money to buy these farkles, they should be properly set up on a dyno to get the best results. Will report back when I have the tuner fitted and set up.
18 till I die.

Online Xpat

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:14:14 am »
There was a thread few years back about JD Tuner. I have posted there results of my Dyno run as well as the settings on JD Tuner I ended up with as a result of the Dyno. You can find it here:

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=89080.0

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 10:17:41 am »
Also have a chat with Blazes, I believe he has the JD in his 610's, en die oom maak uit van die dinge!
I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline M3X3Z3

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:27:46 pm »
The DOHC motors such as the 450, 510 and 630 benefit well from an Iridium spark plug.
The Iridium cleans up the EFI nicely and improves performance and fuel range by +10%.
I run Bosch Iridium CR8EIX plugs (saam met JD Tuners et al) on my 3 doggies with good results :ricky:.
Honda XR250  Husqvarna TE630  Husqvarna SM630  KTM 690

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:29:17 pm »
The JD is sweet - a definate improvement. I just dialled in JD's recommendation and have not fiddled further. You will find guys recommendations of settings on Cafe Husky. 
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:52:42 pm »
Thanks BD, I will look at those settings, but I am leaning toward a dyno tune to get it spot on.
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 05:09:57 pm »
Got my JD in hand and will probably fit it in the next week, searched on Cafe Husky but could not find any recommended settings there, but each bike is different (exhaust, power-up mod, altitude etc) and without a co meter in the exhaust I think I am probably barking up a very tall tree. The JD tuner adjusts in 6 zones through the entire rev range, so one would want to get it set-up properly for maximum effect methinks. (Dyno tune)
18 till I die.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 04:03:31 pm »
I fitted the JD module this week-end, just used the recommended settings for now, I note they increase the accelerator pump function by 2 points to 5, No 3 is the std setting. The rest of the range is only slightly richer, with some parameters left unchanged.
The bike started right up and just by riding around the yard I could feel a handsome boost in power, the bike feels more aggressive and the back wheel breaks traction much easier.
So I took it for a 12km ride (dirt road) to Magaliesburg on a road I ride most everyday, so I know how the bike was before this toordoktery.
 To me it feels like the power-up conversion all over again. The bike is much faster, goes like hell actually, my mouth was dry after the first few km's. Acceleration is insane, it builds speed so fast, and I left wide skidmarks around the corners and then gear up to 3rd and it just spins up again. This is probably the best mod I  could have done to my 610, and I haven't had it set-up properly yet!
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 04:10:59 pm »
Ja I must say I was also impressed - I got standard setting for aftermarket exhaust (decanted and shortened OEM) and modded air box setup from JD himself and have stayed with that thus far. If you have it dyno'ed please let us know the settings.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline Matie spero

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 04:16:08 pm »
I fitted the JD module this week-end, just used the recommended settings for now, I note they increase the accelerator pump function by 2 points to 5, No 3 is the std setting. The rest of the range is only slightly richer, with some parameters left unchanged.
The bike started right up and just by riding around the yard I could feel a handsome boost in power, the bike feels more aggressive and the back wheel breaks traction much easier.
So I took it for a 12km ride (dirt road) to Magaliesburg on a road I ride most everyday, so I know how the bike was before this toordoktery.
 To me it feels like the power-up conversion all over again. The bike is much faster, goes like hell actually, my mouth was dry after the first few km's. Acceleration is insane, it builds speed so fast, and I left wide skidmarks around the corners and then gear up to 3rd and it just spins up again. This is probably the best mod I  could have done to my 610, and I haven't had it set-up properly yet!

ek like ek like!!!!!

I could agree with you! But then we both would be wrong.....

Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end!

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 04:18:06 pm »
The DOHC motors such as the 450, 510 and 630 benefit well from an Iridium spark plug.
The Iridium cleans up the EFI nicely and improves performance and fuel range by +10%.
I run Bosch Iridium CR8EIX plugs (saam met JD Tuners et al) on my 3 doggies with good results :ricky:.

I went looking for the CR8EIX iridium plugs for my Husky, but no one had any. Where did you buy yours?

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 04:20:03 pm »

I went looking for the CR8EIX iridium plugs for my Husky, but no one had any. Where did you buy yours?

I bought off e-Bay.

Online Xpat

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »
Yes the JD Tuner is definitely money well spent. You can find my settings in the link earlier in this thread - my bike has Power Up, Arrow pipes with the new ECU, and open Airbox with one of those EHS (I think) membranes covering the opening.

Most people do not have the new ECU which I understand makes also quite a big change, but you can try my settings and wee how it goes (the beauty of JD is that you can always reset it back where it was).

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Online Xpat

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 05:00:07 pm »
And the irridium plugs - I was considering them, but then somebody - probably Runner - told me they do not work with leaded fuel. As I ride sometimes in boonies where I do not have a control of the fuel I'm putting in,  I stayed clear of them.

Offline Straatkat

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 07:20:19 pm »
mmmm, wonder why he would say that, surely a spark is a spark, as long as there is fuel to ignite...maybe the electrode gums up or something. My iridium plug has a very thin centre electrode and I would imagine it gets quite hot being so thin, so not sure if muck would build up on there. (just thinking aloud)
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 07:46:48 pm »
All iridium plugs have a very thin electrode - this is the nature of them as I understand and - and very hard and long wearing.