XR650R Carb Throttle Slide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
Recently my bike has been idling a bit erratically, not stalling, but rather the revs surge when I close the throttle, instead of dropping to an idle.

Also sometimes when I am riding and I close the throttle, the bike surges instead of slowing down, which can prove interesting in technical slippery conditions.

Otherwise the bike is going like a dream, just had the valves set, so compression is unreal and the bike wants to wheelie even in 3rd without touching the clutch.

So I first thought it must be related to a jammed throttle cable, so stripped and lubed both cables, no joy. Then checked carb manifold for an air leak, nothing. Then i took the bike to Extreme Machines in Pmb and left it with my mate Mervyn who actually knows what he is doing.

Anyway, he came back to me this afternoon to tell me my carb is poked. He says the throttle slide is worn, so there is air getting past the throttle slide, which is causing the surging. He says probably I will need a new carb, although he is going to find out if it is possible to maybe build up the slide and the shaft and then have it machined to fit again.

Any advice from the XR fundi's out there?

Anyone had a similar issue that they were able to solve without having to buy a whole new carb?

Anyone got a 2nd hand 650R carb lying around that they would be willing to sell.

Or is it worth going the whole hog and buying a Pumper? Anyone got one for sale?

All input welcomed, I am in the dark here.

Cheers.