Xchallenge valve clearance and starting issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregMo

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Good afternoon. I thought I would ask what you gents thought of these measured valve clearances and if they should be urgently seen to?

I decided to check my valve clearances on bike. Its on 23000km and have no idea if they were checked properly before.

I'm having a starting problem with the bike. I have put in a new battery and it hasn't fixed the problem It occurs mostly when the bike is warm, but if the battery isn't fully charged, it can sukkel to start when cold. It swings over perfectly fine, no major labouring, but just wont start.

Now, with lots of fiddling, I have found that if I connect jumper cables to the starter motor, with the ignition on, it starts. Very easily when cold, and after a 2-4 swings when warm.

I thought that perhaps the decompression lever was not opening sufficiently and putting too much of a load on the battery, dropping the voltage while swinging, at which point the bike wont start due to it being very particular with its battery voltage.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I currently cant use the bike as its just not reliable.

Now I'm relatively new to bikes, but my understanding is valve recession ( too tight of a tolerance) is more of an issue than a slightly larger gap.  I'm uncertain how much of an issue the tolerances would play. Here are the current tolearances and their required specs:

****NOTE- I had previously uploaded incorrect figures.. ive ammended them

Attachments

• valve clearances.JPG
    valve clearances.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 282