Petcock blues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
An interesting day today with my DR.

No sooner have I temporarily mended my oil cooler mounting and took the bike for a ride when the next problem struck.

I have noticed a slight drop of petrol fom the petcock before when you change the lever position (on, prime, reserve) and put that down to a o-ring that will have to be changed soon. No biggy.

I have had the tank of multiple times off the last few weeks. There is no "off" position as that is not required because it draws fuel on a vacuum. You can thus disconnect the fuel line and onlt the fuel in the line to the carb will spill out.

Well that was how it worked until today. Was standing at a robot and could smell fuel. Had a look down and was horrified to see fuel leaking heavily from the bottom of the petcock and all over my warm engine and exhaust.

Full throttle was just a few metres away and I got some help changing out the fuel line in case that was the problem, but it soon became obvious that the fuel flow was now no longer restricted by the diafraghm and that yhe bottom of the petcock was leaking badly.

Organised some tape and wound it around the bottom of the petcock - if not to stop the flow than just enough to restrict it and have the wind blow it away whilst riding instead of setting my ass on fire. At robots I tilted the bike over to the side to let the fuel drip on the road. Motorists must have thought me mad, but I quite like this bike and did not want to see it go up in flames ;D

When I got back the disassembly, fault finding mission began. The petcock is definately not a simple device

Attachments

• Petcock diassmembled.jpg
    Petcock diassmembled.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 193