Bike stolen by South African mechanic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecanoeguy

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I have a bit of a problem , in 2013 in rode around South Africa on a KLR , that i bought off a Dog member , he is a great guy and his family took me in and let me work on the bike to make it ready ,to Errol and his family, I am grateful , I got some work done by a KLR mechanic near Jo' Burg, and bought gear off him, I did 22,000 amazing km.through 12 countries, I dusted the engine on the trip and when i came back to Jo' burg he offered to store the bike for free, and do all the work needed for the next leg in 2014 , he gave me a quote and said he would start when he received 50% deposit, I told him i will let him know my plans, so without the deposit he went ahead and did the work, and upped the price by 6000 R, he let me know 4 months after leaving it there, I sent a message asking for pics of my bike, to check out the work, etc, I was supposed to come back in May 2014 , I had been diagnosed with a medical condition which would not let me travel in 2014, I sent messages, still no responses, he then sends a message saying he will sell my bike , very nasty messages actually , I sent 1/3 of quoted price ,,then another 1/3 , he sent abusive messages back , saying he had stripped the bike,  he sent the second 6000R back. My bike had a brand new Ricor shock , a safari tank, amongst heaps of other things, as well as my top box that i have travelled in over 70 countries with, other gear and Arai TourX helmet worth $500 USD , the total value of bike is prob 60,000 R , as well as 6000 R I had already paid him,he now won't reply to any messages, he had sent a tirade of drunken emails ,which i have still , what can i do about this as i wanted to continue only journey this year, l am not sure if i have any legal position, as i don't know the law in your country , I know you certainly can't do that here in Australia,  any ideas would be grateful
Thanks, Dave in Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.