What a way to spend a weekend with my son.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
What do you do when you have a new bike , a son that turns 14 and a long weekend ahead of you ?

You make plan and arrange a weekend getaway trip of course.

And so it was that I made my way to Fishoek on Thursday evening after work to go and pick Jaco up for the weekend. The plan was that he would sleep over at my place and that we would then take my new Super T out on Friday morning. We got home and after a quick bite to eat we proceeded to pack the Super T and make sure she was ready for the trip.

By six on Friday morning we were rearing to go and after a nice cup of coffee and something to eat we were on the road. As we approached Gordon's Bay Jaco asked me what the lights up on the mountain above Gordon's bay were. Well , why not go and show him ? We had all day to ride and look at the sights.

IMG_1426.jpg

We went up to the Steenbras dam entrance and both proceeded to take some photos.

Then it was off down Clarens road towards Hermanus . As we approached Rooiels JAco complained of being 'carsick'. I explained to him that he should rather look over my shoulder in the direction we were travelling. This seemed to help 'cause he did not complain again. In Hermanus we stopped to enjoy a solid breakfast at Savannah Cafe.

IMG_1427.jpg

I was planning to ride to Aghulas via Baardskeerdersbos and Elim but as I turned onto the road to Baardskeerdersbos I noted a sign that stated the road was closed. Now normally a sign like that would be an invitiation to ride the road on an adventure bike and see how the obstacles can be overcome , but this time around I decided not to take any chances with a novice dirt pillion and a bike that was heavily loaded. So I made a u-turn and continued towards Aghulas via Gansbaai.

Eventually we turned right onto the dirt road towards Aghulas. As we started on the dirt I explained to Jaco the fundamentals of riding on the dirt and what I needed him to do with regards to body postion when we went through turns etc. I also briefed him on how we would handle hard braking situations and then did a few hard emergency brakes with him so the could get used to the feel and not get a fright if we needed to to brake hard for real. He took it all in his stride and quickly we found a nice rhythm and pace on the dirt.

Of course we stopped a lot for photos.

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg

Jaco saw the ostriches and badly wanted a photo. The zoom on his camera is not as powerful as mine and so I also took a pic for him.

IMG_1436.jpg

At Aghulas I first went past the southern point and took him to the boat wreck.

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

At some point I looked for Jaco and found him on his knees with the camera.

IMG_1440.jpg

We went to the Southernmost point where a friendly tourist offered to take a photo of us at the stone cairn.

IMG_1444.jpg

And then after a quick stop for photos at the light house ...

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

we proceeded to ride towards Bredasdorp. I stopped at the filling station in Aghulas to fill up and I must say that I was quite happy with the fuel consumption Tene' was giving me. At around 130 on the tar and around 100 on the dirt we were getting 17km/l. quite a few kilos per liter less than what Jemima used to give me , but with the added grunt and smile factor it is a price I am willing to pay.

From Bredasdorp we took the road towards Swellendam and the turned off towards Malagas. Ever since I moved to the Cape nearly four years ago , I wanted to travel via the pontoon and this was going to be my day.

Along the way I saw this scene and as per usual hit the brakes for a photo.

IMG_1450.jpg