Dads and Lads 2015 Lesotho trip, the Mellow version

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowJo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
An Eastern Cape/Lesotho trip has been on my bucket list for a long time. Circumstances have just not been right to do the trip for the last few years, but at last the planets aligned. We would use the week with the two long weekends of end April to early May 2015. While the guys are still sending their pics, I will get the ball rolling with a Trip Report.

The Group
Sidpitt became part of my family when my son, Archangel, married Sid’s daughter, and so we now share a son. Sid grew up in Lady Grey and wanted to share a trip to the area with his sons, Charles and Brent. The invite then extended to his son-in-law Archangel and to me. I also lived in Maclear when I grew up. Brent invited his housemate, Toffie, and I invited my brother Godfried (Fried) to join the party. Sidpitt was the organiser/route master and named the trip the “Dads & Lads 2015” trip.

The Bikes
Sid has a weakness for 80’s Yamaha XT Tenere’s, so he used 2 of his fleet of 4 on the trip. Brent was on his Honda XR650L, Archangel on his KTM 950, I on my BMW 1150GS and Fried on my project BMW 1100GS called Scrappy https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=154905.0. Sid brought along his Isuzu Frontier with a 3 bike trailer as backup vehicle, which would be driven on a rotational basis.

The Route
The route was basically an anti-clockwise route around (and into) Lesotho. Sid and his sons started at Middelburg (Cape) after the Mighty Men conference, while me, my son and Boet would start from Colesberg.

Day 1: Colesberg/Middelburg – join at Steynsburg then Burgersdorp, Lady Grey         375km
Day 2: Lady Grey – Joubertspas, Wartrail, Lundeans Nek, Tiffendell, Naude’s Nek, Maclear     350km
Day 3: Maclear – Bastervoetslaanpas, Bottlenek Pass, Rhodes, Naude’s Nek,  Matatiele      360km
Day4:  Matatiele – Ramatselitso Gate, Sehlabathebe, Sehonghong    150 km ?
Day 5: Sehonghong, Mokhotlong, Sani Pass    
Day 6: Sani Pass – Golden Gate     400km?
Day 7: Golden Gate to Colesberg    500km?