Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa 2015  (Read 26654 times)

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

Re: Roof of Africa 2015
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 10:43:59 pm »
So who did the Bronze qualifier? I see Michiel got a great 12th spot  :thumleft:  Who else?

Koos van den Heever was ook daar.  Sy medalje gekry maar weetie watter posisie nie.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 06:18:14 am »
Eina! David het n paar tande verloor!

Net sy voorgaande - Michiel smaak dit stukkend  O0
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 06:22:40 am »
Eina! David het n paar tande verloor!

Net sy voortande, Michiel smaak dit stukkend my laarnie  O0
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:24:09 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 08:32:48 am »
Well done boys.  Now just get your teeth replaced and give it horns again at the big one.  I hope to be there this year watching, if only I can make this work shite go away   ;D
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 12:01:15 pm »
May i brag...........son- Andries came 6th and Michiel 12th!!! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 04:10:26 pm »
Michiel ... you riding like a demon .... everything extreme and hard you do well ... Well done  :thumleft:

Were you not riding with Peter's son? I see he came in a few minutes behind you.
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 04:25:59 pm »
Well done Andries & Michiel - Sterling result  :thumleft:  :thumleft:  - I'm told it was harder than last year
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline ktmpilot

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 07:43:01 pm »
I was there, was one of the toughest rides I have ever done for sure! Now need to start preparing for Amageza, coming up pretty soon now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
* RALLYE * HARD ENDURO * MTB *

KTM 690 ENDURO-R RALLYE-LITE * 2016 AMAGEZA FINISHER
KTM 300 XC-W * 2015 ROOF OF AFRICA BRONZE FINISHER
KTM Aera Comp 29er

Offline Sithe

• Race Dog
  • gewig versplasing
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 09:20:13 pm »
Getting very confusing. On moto101 they tell you it was easy, except Welcome which was downhill 4 km rocky pass.

Fast guys were doing it in 4 hours 10 minutes
I operate at a level supreme to the devil

Offline Michiel

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 09:59:12 pm »
Yea DoM, you made my evening!  :imaposer:

Thanks for the thumb-ups. Great being a part of such an event and a privilege to have the support of this community.

As far as the difficulty of the route... opinions will always differ from person to person. I thought it was completely
suitable for the occasion. This is supposed to be somewhat difficult. If it was easy it would have been an Off-Road race, not Enduro.

This year the route didn't have any real bad bottlenecks like the year before which made it more of an even game for
everyone. In the light of it being a BRONZE qualifier there were also no extreme difficult passes with the exception of
Belekomo (Welcome Pass). Belekomo can be rated as a Silver difficulty pass and making the contestants ride down it
was pure sadomasochism. I certainly were not having fun at all. Riding up Belekomo can be a joyful experience but going
down is just wrong.

The picture is of Belekomo on one of the previous rides I went there. I don't think it is 4km long, maybe more like say
1.5km but still a mission for it looks like this for most of the way.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:34:52 pm by Michiel »

Offline Roof of Africa

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2015, 05:44:01 am »
. I don't think it is 4km long, maybe more like say
1.5km but still a mission for it looks like this for most of the way.

It is actually 2.9km from top to the village at the bottom!

Offline Roof of Africa

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2015, 05:56:47 am »
All i can say is that the standard and level of Extreme Enduro has increased considerably over the last five years. I thought that there would be a huge dropout on this route and at one stage even wondered if we would get 120 finishers but most came through with flying colours!

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2015, 06:18:05 am »
I was there, was one of the toughest rides I have ever done for sure! Now need to start preparing for Amageza, coming up pretty soon now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shot bud - well done.  :thumleft:

The Pongola 500 black route is a good prep for Amageza  >:D
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Gemstar

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2015, 04:41:15 pm »
and #180, being me. This was my first time in Lesotho and therefore my first attempt at the 'infamous' roof.
I came in position 107... so thats an automatic qualify boys.. Now the real fun training starts

I went up with 11 guys from Cape Town backed by Eddy2Race.
2 DNF, 1 bike trouble and the other due to a bout of the flu.
9 finishers of which only 1 didn't qualify so it was a great result.

You can read about a bit about my adventure @ http://www.cape-enduro.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8323&p=85663#p85663

Husky TE 300 2014
BMW F800GS  Triple Black 2012

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 08:43:29 am »
Chaps,

Congratulations to all who entered the Bronze Qualifier, just participating in the Roof is something to be Proud of! I was unfortunately unable to attend the Bronze Qualifier, but I am going to enter the Silver Class, as I HAVE to take part this year! Wish me Luck and Pray for me!

Anyway fellow dogs and Roof of Africa freaks, I have secured the new distribution rights for Christini All Wheel Drive Motorcycles. We are in talks with Roof organisers to become part of the event as sponsors and hopefully this will be confirmed within the next month. See below the Christini AWD 300. The Roof will be our official Launch Event and we will be offering some specials. We also have Wally Palmer (X Games Rider from the USA) as our Factory Rider who will participate in the Gold Class in the Roof. We are registered as Christini SA Motorholdings in Parternship with The AdvenXure Co.

Our special we are offering for the Roof of Africa with the Purchase of every Christini AWD 300 2 Stroke at R150 000 is the following:
1 x Christini AWD 300 (Fully race ready)
1 x Race Entry Fee
Accommodation in our AdvenXure Camp. Tented, fully catered and stocked with all the necessary items.
Full race support, technical/mechanical support and refuelling support.
Christini Promotional Clothing, Race Shirt (Christini Team AdvenXure Africa), Cap, T-Shirt etc.
Race Team Atmophere (We will be one very big and happy family)
Transport, too and from the Roof, bike and rider.
Opportunity to get to know an X games hooligan and get some riding tips.

In addition, we offer a similar deal at for non-race participants at R145 000. This will be on the purchase of Any Christini AWD Motorcycle. You will stay in the race camp with participants, fully catered. We will bring your bike along so that you can mess around in other areas of Lesotho. We will provide an off-road training camp shortly before and after the race. You will receive transport too and from the roof, you and your bike. And you will receive supporters apparel.

If you have any questions and may be interested, or know of anyone who may be interested, please contact Andrew Marx (DrewMarx) via email at drew.marx.capital@gmail.com

I am waiting for the vendor Registration to come through and will then post more pics and info on Christini South Africa. Our website will also be up and running within the next month!

Chaps, the Christini AWD will give you a distinct advantage and our race and emotional(believe me this is valuable!)support at the Roof will be unparalleled by anyone else! You will enjoy the race and race experience immensely on our Christini AWD's and have a great time at the Roof as Part of the Christini AdvenXure Africa Team!

Thanks Chaps!

Regards

DREW
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:49:52 am by DREWMARX »
The Christini AWD Advantage!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 08:55:30 am »
the Christini AWD will give you a distinct advantage

I can just imagine that awd can save a lot of energy on the technical hill climbs.  Will it be allowed to compete head on with other bikes or fall in a different category?

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2015, 09:04:36 am »
Hey Man,

I'm Having trouble with that Forum Name of yours  ;)

As far as I know they will compete in the same class as other bikes. The Christini takes part in the same classes as the other bikes at Hard and Extreme Enduro's around the world, like Romaniacs, Erzberg, The Tough One etc, as well as at X-games.

I will confirm your question with The Roof organizers within the next week. They are welcome to chip in here and answer for me  ;D

Kind Regards

Drew

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 12:17:04 pm »
Nice one Drew, and good luck with this venture!

Great news about Wally Palmer. Have you ever seen this guy ride? Very entertaining indeed! A real "wild man".

I'm a bit out of touch with the Christini bikes. Do they still have the GasGas motors? Interestingly, the off the shelf Christini with the GasGas 300 2 stroke motor was lighter than the standard GasGas 300, despite the 2WD conversion!
'69 Model.

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 03:45:55 pm »
Hi Rossdog,

Yeah, they use the Gasgas 300 engine. The difference in the weight must be down to the Christini frame regardless of adding the AWD system. Christini also no longer make frame kits and produce the fully complete bike. Their 450 Explorer will also be awesome, allowing the not so regular Dual Sport rider to tackle some tough terrain on the weekends. Comes with a luggage rack and bash plate, extra fuel cell, more info to follow shortly. They also give a 12 month warranty on the AWD system and parts are freely available.

I'm excited about the Venture and hopefully we can cause a bit of hype at The Roof. Wally Palmer should definitely provide for some entertainment.

Kind Regards

Drew

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 04:08:17 pm »
The 450 AWD Explorer