De Wild Three Fences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Just a quick RR with no photo's.

Did Three Fences again with TK.

He was on his 400 Beta and I was on my 610.

I was quite unfit and rusty and Tony is much faster on his 400, so it was a bit of a race to try and keep him view.  I was panting like a bloody steam train most of the time.  ::)

But as usual it was such nice riding terrain (although I wimped out a bit and rode the side paths a bit in an attempt to keep up).

Although one of those "easy routes" turned out into quite a gnarly extended rock climb that needed some serious commitment - but by pure fluke I managed to wheelie most of the way up - its always such a nice feeling when you hit an unexpectedly hard bit and ace it  :thumleft:

We came across a poor guy called Nick right near the last fence in the very sandy section.  He had endo'ed his enduro bike in the sand it seemed.  He was sitting on his fallen bike in quite severe pain, unable to move.  He said he had broken his collar bone and ribs.  He also seemed a tad confused, maybe just from the shock?

So I got to practice some boy scout first aid, and put is arm in a sling.  :p

Nick's riding partner was a very nice black guy called Oscar who had cut some branches from a tree and was just patiently standing over him providing shade.  His other mates had apparently left to ride back to the Police Station to get a car.

After a while Tony decided to ride to the tuckshop and find out if they could come fetch Nick with a bakkie.  This turned out to fortuitous because we later found out that the other guys had burned a hole in the one bike's piston riding back on tar and were very much delayed.

A bakkie finally arrived, we loaded Nick into it and rode off to the TuckShop, where his mates eventually met up with him (they brought their car there), and finally took him off to hospital.

So it turned out OK.

But it makes you think about how easily things go from fun to disaster and how tricky it can be getting out of these remote places back to medical care (and De Wildt isnt really that remote).

Anyway had a nice easy ride back (always enjoy the whoops) and I was nice and stiff yesterday!