Why was this not a white knuckle moment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikerider

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
So on my way home from work, feeling chuffed with myself after picking up my reshaped / reupholstered seat from Flying Brick, I turn left onto Tygervalley Rd, heading towards Richwood. Nice open section so I move along swiftly. I notice a huge passenger plane coming in low glimmering in the sun thinking it is probably due to the strong wind that came out of nowhere yesterday.

Next moment ….wim en wierook…..a silver Polo comes off the side of the road over the oncoming lane straight into my lane and things start happening in slow motion. My initial thought was this is it….no way I can stop in time. What followed was a combination swerving (no brakes applied as it would not have helped) and the driver spotting me, albeit too late. Him hitting the brakes was just enough for me to sail past his front passenger side fender. Fortunately I had enough road to my left for an aggressive swerve.

I just shook my head since I’m sure he took a bite out of his seat. At 1st I was pissed at myself for allowing the break in concentration to admire the plane and then by the time I got home I realised I was still calm and did not have the jelly legs feeling I would normally get after a close call. Being a biker for 35 years, THAT worries me  :eek:.

While all of this happened I was aware of another guy on a bike some 100m behind me. That slow motion moments are amazing  ;D. Anyway, I suspect having witnessed this from behind, he slowed down to give the Polo driver some stick. Thanks bud….not that the battle with the cadger was worth fighting. Like we always tell one another, drive like no one sees you. Take care out there.