Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Navigating With your cellphone  (Read 10236 times)

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • View Profile
    • Good Dog Computers
Re: Navigating With your cellphone
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2017, 04:25:09 pm »
Can I just stop in here to recommend the RAM-B-149Z-PD3. It doesn't look like much but it's the first phone holder I've used that I actually feel confident using off-road. I wouldn't use it for the Amageza but I've hit some pretty rough shit at speed and my phone stayed put. It doesn't fit the big-big phones (iPhone Plus, S7 Edge etc) by default but a very easy trim off the spring sorts that out without compromising the secure hold.

It's harder to find locally than the X-Grip - I got mine from AnimalGear.co.za

www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline GazGaz

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2017, 04:29:43 pm »
South Africa and Namibia Maps was free download from within OsmAnd app.

Don't know about rest of Africa...

Thanks.  Will check it out.

Has anyone used this App and maps in Africa like nambia bOtsego and do on?
Will go where the road takes me

Yamaha Super tenere, Bmw F650GS Dakar ,Bmw F650GS, Honda VFR800 VTEC
Honda Varadero 125cc, Vespa 50cc

Offline johanp

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2017, 09:10:45 am »
Can I just stop in here to recommend the RAM-B-149Z-PD3. It doesn't look like much but it's the first phone holder I've used that I actually feel confident using off-road. I wouldn't use it for the Amageza but I've hit some pretty rough shit at speed and my phone stayed put. It doesn't fit the big-big phones (iPhone Plus, S7 Edge etc) by default but a very easy trim off the spring sorts that out without compromising the secure hold.

It's harder to find locally than the X-Grip - I got mine from AnimalGear.co.za

Only seen this now after creating another thread. Thanks again for the recommendation, this is really an awesome mount.
Got mine from GPS4Africa and believe it or not but RAM SA has got no stock left, they've all been sold out suddenly. :D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:11:15 am by johanp »
BMW F650GS Twin (sold)
BMW F800GS Twin

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
    • View Profile
    • Good Dog Computers
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2017, 09:52:24 am »
Only seen this now after creating another thread. Thanks again for the recommendation, this is really an awesome mount.
Got mine from GPS4Africa and believe it or not but RAM SA has got no stock left, they've all been sold out suddenly. :D

Lekker. Glad you're enjoying it as much as I am  :thumleft:
I took the recommendation from the Everide youtube channel. He's a no-nonsense, un-sponsored dual sport rider and all round good guy; when he says something is good, it always is.
www.GoodDogComputers.co.za

Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline ROSSI

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Is sy nie pragtig nie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2017, 11:41:52 am »
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:17:04 pm by ROSSI »

The following users thanked this post: husky

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • View Profile
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2018, 11:31:34 am »
Old thread but interesting as cell phones become a more feasible means of navigation....that Ram holder looks great but ouch at the price! :o What else is available?
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2018, 11:44:57 am »
Old thread but interesting as cell phones become a more feasible means of navigation....that Ram holder looks great but ouch at the price! :o What else is available?

Ask Chris at Flying Brick to get you a price - he sorted me out with a RAM mount recently, very good price & service!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Online zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • View Profile
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2018, 12:21:08 pm »

Quote from: edgy on Today at 11:31:34 am

What else is available?

well, not for your specific bike but for say the BMW 1200 LC..., there is now a very clever device available, that allows you to USE the empty BMW NAV 5 cradle to hold a cellphone in it's cradle: (m-a-n-y 2nd hand and even new bikes come WITHOUT the expensive GPS included...)

AND then POWER it from that OEM cradle, a very clever bit of kit!

(m-a-n-y 2nd hand and even new BMW 1200 LC bikes come WITHOUT the expensive GPS included...)

(below written in Chinese/English, but you get the idea!)

The mobile phone holder can perfectly match the Garmin navigation seat of BMW motorcycle R1200GS. It can replace the Garmin navigation too.
  • You can set the phone quickly with one hand,no shock,no drop,no volume-closed,no power-turned.
  • Mainstream mobile phones can be installed.
  • Two USB charging jacks on the side,you can charge the phone from navigation. The back has take power contact for BMW navigation seat, dont have external power supply outlet of Garmin navigation seat.
  • List: sell phone holder body,one upper jaw and one lower jaw, the external power supply line, four screws and four nuts.

• Compare with similar items

New (1) from $99.95 & FREE shipping.

We are bringing some in, but it WILL take some time...
    Chris & Team
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:23:41 pm by zebra - Flying Brick »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208