Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: New DR650 on the road...wooohooo!!!!  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Bossies

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
New DR650 on the road...wooohooo!!!!
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:13 pm »
My wife is now the proud and happy owner of a 2008 DR650. can't ride it yets as the shop is shortening the sidestand and the seat has been sent off for cutting out etc

Photo's to follow 

Thanks to Gerald at Suzuki PE for being the best sales person we have come across in the biking world.
If there's a will there's a way...so I will anyway!!!
http://buyaikhaya.blogspot.com
BMX, Orange "Help-my-trap", Honda Lead 50, TW125, XJ600s, Funduro, XJ900s, XR250, DL650VStrom, DR650SE, R80GS Now: Bikeless

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Re: New DR650 on the road...wooohooo!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:46:20 pm »
Congrats!

how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:47:47 pm »
Lekker man! Congrats!  :cool:
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Bossies

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:03:45 pm »
Hey, LS, it was slightly cheaper than yours (with all extras) but yes your tank did add tempting value.

We took the bike bog standard with no extras. Rather get them ourselves after some research.
BMX, Orange "Help-my-trap", Honda Lead 50, TW125, XJ600s, Funduro, XJ900s, XR250, DL650VStrom, DR650SE, R80GS Now: Bikeless

Offline lecap

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 07:07:35 am »
Congratulations for getting a great bike! And now:
Adjust steering head bearing.
Grease rear suspension linkage. (They will pull the rear shock out for lowering the bike anyway, yes?)
Remove upper drive chain guard roller.
Replace OEM chain with DID 525VM X-Ring before the sprockets start to wear (lasts more than twice as long).
Remove cheap (the only cheap parts on the whole bike) galvanised philips screws from bodywork and switch units and replace with stainless steel allen head cap screws.
Toss bar end weights and hand guards and replace with Polisport Sharp for example.

I've got a 16l Clarke tank on my DR. Does not rust, chip or ding, looks great and gives 300km range.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 07:22:57 am »
Congrats Bossies,awesome bike! ;D
www.astonesthrow.co.za

'16 Africa Twin CRF1000
'12 KTM200
`11 CRF 230F `12 KTM 200  BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline NAZM

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:23:50 am »
Congrats! How much were you able to lower the bike by? What is involved in lowering the bike?
"THE TRUTH IS ALWAYS EXCITING. SPEAK IT. LIFE IS DULL WITHOUT IT."

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:26:50 am »
Congrats to you wife Bossies!
Keep the shiny side up ;)
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline lecap

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 09:20:52 am »
Congrats! How much were you able to lower the bike by? What is involved in lowering the bike?

You get some 4cm off the standard height:

Remove rear shock, unload spring, remove and turn around lower spring base, preload spring.
Fit rear shock with connecting bolt to linkage in the second position.

Remove fork, open, drain, take preload spacers out, take damper inserts and inner tubes out, put preload spacers under piston instead of atop spring, fit everything back together.

Replace or cut & weld sidestand.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Bossies

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 11:49:38 am »
Thanks for all the responses and advice.

Suzuki moved the shock to the upper position but will have to check that they also flipped the spring base.
We have only pushed the forks through the yokes by 25cm but when I have a change I will relocate the preload spacer. My wife's riding style wont allow the front to bottom out against the mudguard ;-)
The sidestand has been cut and rewelded.
The seat has been chopped out.

She now has tips of big toes down on the ground but mamaged to ride home form the shop without incident (would think so after crossing a continent)

Will sort those other tips thanks Lecap.

We would like to get the bike just ever so slightly more lower so that she is on balls of feet. As the bike is at it's lowest "factory" setting I assume the last resport is longer links. We are aware that this might have an effcet on the quickness of the steering but she's used to that from the XR250. Anyone know of aftermarket lowering links or must I get precision engineer place to make a set for us. Kouba does not make them anymore.

Offline lecap

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 08:29:03 pm »
Get two friggin pieces of flat bar and a drill press. What do you need a precision engineer for ???
BTW: If it's only about a centimetre and as I assume the lady is on the lighter side of weight categories (below welterweight) I would first try to lower the shock preload another  few millimetres (but don't overdo it!)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 02:23:27 pm »
Great bike--great choice for a lady rider as well  :thumleft:
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline lecap

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 07:59:37 am »
Another thread returning from the dead  ??? ;D
Is Bossies still around?
Did he find a drill press & flat bar?
Does his wife still enjoy the DR?

Offline Bossies

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:21 am »
Yes Bossies is still around popping in every so often to the well of wisdom...

Pulled a favour and had the links made by a engineering shop. The missus can now get both feet flat on the ground and rides with fantastic confidence because of it.

The steering is a bit quick and when stationary you feel the handlebars wanted to turn to either side but on the move the bike is still very stable.

With our 7 month old daughter the missus is not getting much chance to ride but we will certainly keep the bike indefinitely till we do another trip.

A brilliant bike and will always get my vote as one of the best all rounders ever.

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 12:02:03 pm »
Congratulations for getting a great bike! And now:
Grease rear suspension linkage. (They will pull the rear shock out for lowering the bike anyway, yes?)
Remove upper drive chain guard roller.
Replace OEM chain with DID 525VM X-Ring before the sprockets start to wear (lasts more than twice as long).
Remove cheap (the only cheap parts on the whole bike) galvanised philips screws from bodywork and switch units and replace with stainless steel allen head cap screws.
Toss bar end weights and hand guards and replace with Polisport Sharp for example.

I've got a 16l Clarke tank on my DR. Does not rust, chip or ding, looks great and gives 300km range.

Mr. Lecap,Help me out here?

Grease rear suspension linkage.

This is the only things I have never done since I got my bike ,It has over 11oookm's on now?
Can you tell me how to do this?please,maybe a photo or 2?
If that's not to much to ask4 my german friend? :) :thumleft:

Martin
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline lecap

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 07:35:12 am »
Adjust steering head bearing: Leave it alone unless it's either brand new and overtightened (they all are) or buggered. A properly adjusted and greased steering head bearing will often outlast the bike. If it was set too tight and not corrected at the PDI it will be buggered by now.

Grease rear suspension linkage: Wash bike as clean as you can. Put bike on tomato box, remove swingarm and all the little bits connecting frame, swingarm and shock.
Clean dust caps of bearings with lappie, push inner races out, wipe clean, grease liberally, fit, assemble, do NOT torque the lower shock mount to the prescribed 55Nm (it will strip) but to 30Nm and use stud lock threadlocker or buy a modified lower shock mouunting bolt from me ;D

If your bike is on the low suspension setting make sure the endstop rubber of the shock is in good nick and holds the large washer in place. This washer may otherwise damage the piston rod. You can also modify the lower spring support and bolt the washer against the spring support to prevent it from rattling. Another possible modification would be to turn out the washer's i.d. a bit to avoid contact with hte piston rod. This is a bit tricky as you don't want to go too far and have the endstop rubber getting squeezed through the hole :o

Have fun!

Offline Martin-DR650

• Adventure Seeker
  • If you ain't FIRST you LAST!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 10:59:18 am »
Thanx Lecap :thumleft:
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful !

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 11:02:48 am »
How much longer did you make the links? And by how much did the rear drop?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 11:20:31 am »
My wife is now the proud and happy owner of a 2008 DR650. can't ride it yets as the shop is shortening the sidestand and the seat has been sent off for cutting out etc

Photo's to follow 

Thanks to Gerald at Suzuki PE for being the best sales person we have come across in the biking world.

It's been nearly 2 years!!! Where are the photos?????
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Offline ®©errie

• Incognito
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:48 am »
 :useless:
2003 Yamaha XT600e (Blouwa)
1993 Suzuki Djebel 200 (Project)
1984 Yamaha TT600 (Sold)
1984 Yamaha XT250T (Sold)
2001 Yamaha SR250 (RIP) 1997 Yamaha RX115 (Sold) 1987 Kawasaki KE100 (in bike heaven) :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:  Ride Report: Verneukpan and Beyond