Living the Dream Solo Around the World Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schalk vd merwe

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
The Living the dream idea started when I was about 15 years old in 1965. I always looked at the Suikerbos Rand Mountains from our farm which is about 6 km away like the bird fly and wondered what was lying behind them. The wonder became too big and one day I took my horse and did a river crossing through the Klip River and I also took a big Crescent plyers along that we used to fix the fences with. When I came to a fence I would just loosen the wires (irresponsible young lad) until I reached the Suikerbos Rand mountains. There was a proper fence with a board behind which read “South African defence force missile testing site, do not enter”. I duly cut the fence and went all the way to the top until I could see what was on the other side of the mountain. From there it never stopped and I always wanted to see what was lying on the other side of the next hill. The horse was eventually sold and with the money I bought a bike and many trips followed. So yesterday I left for my solo “living the dream around the world tour” to see what is lying behind the next hill. I am hoping to do it in two stages. The first stage will be from Johannesburg through Africa and then over into Europe at Italy and then over the Alps to England. The first stage will be about 20 000km. By the end of the European summer I will come back to RSA. Five months later after the European winter I will go back to England for stage two. If I get a sponsor I will do the remaining 70 000km in one go. If I do not get a sponsor then I will do it in stages every year. Stage 2 will be through Eastern Europe to Croatia and from there through places like India, Mongolia then through Russia as far East as possible then over to Alaska by boat. From Alaska to Canada, North America and then all the South American countries. Then by boat to Cape Town and then the last piece to Johannesburg. See map below for Africa leg of the trip.

Attachments

• Africa Map.png
    Africa Map.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 7,073