My EC Bash adventure (broken)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
I'm not a very good rr writerand I'm doing this in pain still with 2 broken wrists..

Friday we were to leave at 9, so I packed my goodies and went off to BF Motorcycles just before 8 to  grab some coffee and ride from there at 9..
Got there and Bruce had no bike  ??? don't know how yet, but somehow his rhs tank on the KTM 950's petrol cap is fubar, so the bike got taken to the locksmith to open.

While waiting a fellow wd came to the shop (older gentleman on a grey ktm990, cant remember name, he is from mosselbay) asking for directions to Angies, had a quick chat and he left. At 9 Bruce still didn't have his bike back, so I had another coffee. At 9:30ish he called the guys to bring his bike back, he will make a plan...Bike came back, tank still not open, but he quickly figured a way to transfer fuel via the connection between tanks... I left at 9:45 as I got bored and Bruce said he will catch up....so he did.

I go up Prince Alfreds pass to Avontuur where I would wait for Bruce, I didn't even wait 10 minutes and the 950 came screaming up. Apparently he left at 10:20, I cannot confirm, but knowing how he rides, it is not impossible...

off to Uniondale for fuel, then we too Hartbeesrivier road to Camp.

Saturday we went to do Patensie and back...had lunch in Patensie and at about 13h45 we were back on the gravel.
I got left in the dust and I cruised up the mountain just to find Bruce helping Chris(Zebra) with a flat front wheel. Stopped to help out for a bit, Bruce went flying down the mountain, I got into a nice relaxed cruise, Chris was still packing away when we left.

About 40kms from camp, still in the reserve a young female Kudu jumped out of a bush next to me, I slammed brakes and hit the Kudu at approximately 15km/h solid in the ribs with the headlight of the KLE, I went down, Kudu did like a half a summersult and rand into the bush, with adrenalin raging, I rip the bike up to the sidestand, grabbed my pocket knife and went int the bush were the Kudu disappeared into.....it was not there, so I couldn't save some biltong... Just got back top the bike, lit a cigarette and had a look at the bike, wee bit broken..pics 1-3.. Not long then Chris stopped there, taped up the bike a bit ..pic 4.. and bandaged my throttle hand so I could ride the bike back to camp... Other guy and girl on a KTM stopped and helped too (cant remember names at all). We putted back towards camp...Chris staying with me the whole time. About 100m from the gate out of the reserve we found Bruce with a flat front wheel, sorted that quick and the 3 off us went putting back to camp, Bruce leading with the HID's to fint the smoothest track for me to follow on with sore wrists, Chris stayed next to me so he could have his light shining infront of me too.

Made it back to camp, sore as hell and got  helped by iirc Bradleys and  Twe-Twe. The guy and girl from on the AT also sponsored me pills that klapped me proper deurmekaar... Thanks alot for helping guys, really appreciated  :thumleft:

Sunday morning was a laugh, I couldn't tie my shoe laces, so a lady at the tent helped me with that. After alot of help from different people I eventually had my gear on to ride..

We left my bike and our tents at the farmer and I got on the back of the 950, all went well untill Bruce stopped..I didnt even notice, but we sprung a oil leak...pic 5... Bruce knowing his bike back to front and upside down knew exactly where to do what and fixed up quick quick, thanks Andy660 and crew ...pic 6... for the piece of pipe and a bit of fuel. We made it to Uniondale  :thumleft:

In Uniondale, Bruce told me he is bringing me back via tar as it will be much quicker and less painfull on my wrists.

Got to hospital at 1, left at 8... only 1 doctor on duty, and the xray 'team' only came in at 5...If the told me that, I could've gone to eat and rest a bit, but no, just wait here, we will be with you now...pic 7...

Both wrists cracked, one has a little break also...dont know wich one as I was rather floating when my wife came to fetch me.

My boss is being a d*** about it and wants me to come in and fill in paperwork....wtf doesn't he get about broken wrists...

enihoe

Thank you to everyone who helped me and those that just came to make a joke to cheer me up.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

If all goes well, I'm back again next year  O0

Attachments

• DSC_0111.JPG
    DSC_0111.JPG
    445.5 KB · Views: 746
  • DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    454.9 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC_0113.JPG
    DSC_0113.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC_0114.JPG