Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Africa twin CRF1000L corner  (Read 77490 times)

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: The Africa twin CRF1000L corner
« Reply #260 on: October 30, 2019, 04:42:03 am »
I like that, and would not mind one on my bike.
If you don't mind what did you pay Capie and where?

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #261 on: October 30, 2019, 07:17:44 am »
I like that, and would not mind one on my bike.
If you don't mind what did you pay Capie and where?

You can probably buy it cheaper somewhere else.

https://www.takealot.com/tyre-care-motorcycle-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-2-external-/PLID49225178
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #262 on: October 30, 2019, 07:43:13 am »
I have the Garmin TPS on my bike, connected to the GPS. Does not work as well as the BMW system, but the info is available on one of the GPS menus

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #263 on: October 30, 2019, 07:52:56 am »
I have been very blessed often in my life, and having has the 2019 DCT in my hands since before Easter has been such a total treat. 
Mostly riding by myself, I have really got to grips with this machine.  I can really understand the allure of DCT.

Joined a few organised rides, mostly with the KTM idjits, and this machine makes it all so darn easy!

I am going to be really sad when I give this machine back in the next few weeks....
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

The following users thanked this post: Captain Zef, Sardine

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #264 on: October 30, 2019, 02:50:57 pm »
Malibu i've said before its the easiest bike i've ever ridden. It give me time to enjoy the ride.
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2019, 07:05:23 am »
Malibu i've said before its the easiest bike i've ever ridden. It give me time to enjoy the ride.

I'm spending way more time seeing the scenery, and fooling around! :)
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2019, 05:09:01 pm »
Rode the 2020 versions today - absolutely friggin awesome

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2019, 05:47:39 pm »
No centre stand  :eek7:

:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2019, 06:03:48 pm »
We went to ADA on Saturday to test ride the New Adventure sports, I opted for the Manual and DCT models (Had never ridden an auto)

First off, journalists cant ride!!!
We were the first to ride on Saturday morning, the bikes had taken a serious beating on Friday with the journalists, broken plastics, scratched and cracked plastics, Dented exhaust pipes. Seriously, they dont seem to care much, its not their bikes  :eek7:

I have only ever ridden the 2018 Africa Twin (My other halfs)
I havent been a great fan of it, the front suspension nose dives and I always feel like I am going over the handle bars when I brake hard.

I was more interested in the Adventure sports, its bigger, has a bigger tank, has more presence, looks better too, its also a better comparison to my current GSA

The stock AT looks pretty, in red at least, I dont like the Black and red configuration, it just looks crap IMHO

The Adventure sports got my attention in many things, mostly the bells and whistles, yes I know that shit can cost you money when it breaks, but its still cool, they come standard with Apple Carplay (This is a little sucky, as I am not a sheep, I use Android phones)
Why do manufacturers think that the majority of the world revolves around Apple, here in SA I think by Far Android is market leader
But I am sure with a software update in the near future and Android Auto will be part of the package.

That screen (Touch screen) is absolutely awesome, clear, easy to read, doesnt get effected by sun shining on it. you can play with your ride settings choose from 4 riding mores and also have 2 extra user specific ride modes that you can customise to your own personal taste.. They do not come out with any form of crash bars as yet, thats not a plus for them, but I am sure they will sort that out soon.

It comes with Tubeless tyres, YES!!!

Then we got off to the ride, I started on the Manual, with a quick Shfiter.
Unfortunately the handlebars on my first bike werent set correctly, they were too far back, making for a kak ride, my elbows hanging behind my back and standing was very uncomfortable, I must have looked like the hunchback of notre dame.
I came back sore and not really feeling great about the bike, but I told the guys that they should sort that shit out as its going to influence people perceptions.

Power!!! Holy crap, its got lots of it, you open that throttle, WOW, it shunts, I was gobsmacked, 100cc's more and its chalk and cheese to the std 2018 Model. It move, quick response.
On the dirt it handles very well, sticking to the dirt and it feels super light. I felt more confident on the dirt on this than on my GSA, I do suspect it could be the 21" front though.
The screen which is adjustable it perfect, blacks all the wind and on long trips you will sit comfortably without being buffeted, its also adjustable up and down, so for taller guys you have no problem, no need for unsightly clip on aero trims

On my second ride I felt more comfortable, the DCT handle bars were set better, handlebars still felt slightly low when standing, I also felt that the foot pegs are a little high  and maybe too far forward, it could still be due to an incorrect setup but when standing I felt very far forward over the front.
DCT is something else, its basically an auto, makes for easy riding, in some places I think I would prefer manual but in other scenarios I feel that the DCT makes things some much easier
Slow riging through trees and cattle  paths I found that it must made things so much easier.  And it doesnt really change your power delivery, even when cruising, if you twist that ear it will kick down a gear or 2 instantly and unleash massive power.

R250 for the Manual and R260 for the DCT its just about within the market range, add the extras like crash bars and quick shifter and youre going to be at the same price as a GSA

I loved it, its pretty, would I buy one, absolutely, if I had the cash, for now I can only dream.

I did notice that it doesnt nosedive like our AT, makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the suspension on ours, or the adventure sports has a much better front suspension
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2020, 10:32:38 am »
Found this on YT...

Peg scraping on a stock 2017 DCT, with stock Dunlops...  :eek7:

Fun starts at 5:20
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline THROTTLE JOCKEY

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Number plate T JOCKEY EC
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2020, 11:30:25 am »
Found this on YT...

Peg scraping on a stock 2017 DCT, with stock Dunlops...  :eek7:

Fun starts at 5:20

Obivously more scared of the law than the corners. All speeds in excess of the limit are fuzzed out.
Ride it like you stole it!

OWN:KTM 950 SE***Suzuki DR650***Yamaha XT 600 Tenere***Yamaha XT 200***Honda CRF450X***Honda TRX 300 Quad***CRF1000AT
LIBERATED:KTM 640 Adventure***Suzuki 200 Djebel
SOLD:HONDA CRF450R***Honda CR250R***Yamaha YZ250***Yamaha WR200***BMW F800GS***YAMAHA XT660 extreme***Yamaha XT660

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
« Reply #271 on: October 05, 2020, 03:43:44 am »
Out yesterday enjoying the scenery.

That pretty cloud rained on me 30 mins later!  :lol8:
Hans

SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #272 on: October 05, 2020, 06:12:17 am »
Dis nou groen by julle [mention]Boerbok [/mention]. Geniet jy nog jou AT? Ek dink ek het my houfiets  gevind.
'Tis the times plague, when madmen lead the blind.

King Lear

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
« Reply #273 on: October 05, 2020, 06:57:54 am »
Ja dis mooi groen @Dorsland! Suid-oos Aus kry winterrenval, so dis gewoonlik baie groen tussen Mrt en Des. Jan en Feb is die veld vaal gebrand as die ren verdwyn en maks temperature gereeld oor 40C styg.

Ek geniet die AT baie, en hys betaal, so dit maak dat ek hom selfs meer geniet. :biggrin: Hys n Jack-of-all-trades, en doen meeste dinge baie goed, maar nie perfek nie. Ek hou juis van hom omdat hy so veelsydig is. Ons het almal seker groot planne vir maand-lange toere oor die kontinente heen, en hy kan dit doen, maar as ek meer realisties is, is dit die regte fiets vir waar ek gewoonlik ry: konkel teerpad en mooi grondpaaie deur die heuwels en plantasies in my omgewing. En as dit nodig is kan hy ook commute stad-toe, of die lang snelwegmyle eet.

As ek meer tegniese roetes gedoen het sou ek dalk na iets kleiner en ligter gekyk het, dalk soos n T7, of selfs n KTM500. Never say never, maar vir nou het ek genoeg geld in die AT gesink om vir n laaang tyd gelukkig en tevrede te wees.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 07:20:16 am by Boerbok »
Hans

The following users thanked this post: Dorsland

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #274 on: October 05, 2020, 10:23:36 am »
Boerbok word bike ryers lastig geval deur die cops in Aus? Met ander woorde word julle afgetrek sonder rede?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #275 on: October 05, 2020, 10:45:57 am »
Hier by ons is dit net so groen  :peepwall: :patch:

King Lear

The following users thanked this post: Boerbok

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #276 on: October 05, 2020, 10:46:51 am »
Dissie waarheid.  Kyk mooi. O0

King Lear

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
« Reply #277 on: October 05, 2020, 02:17:27 pm »
Boerbok word bike ryers lastig geval deur die cops in Aus? Met ander woorde word julle afgetrek sonder rede?

Nee wat, nie in my ervaring nie. Die polise is net op jou spoor as hulle jou vang droogmaak. Hulle sit wel gereeld langs die paaie met radarguns in ongemerkte karre en vang ouens vir spoed.
Hans

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #278 on: October 05, 2020, 02:32:22 pm »
I did the Jozi to Kozi trip this past weekend. It was WET with a lot of mud and clay.

Please be aware that the Africa Twin has a serious design flaw in these conditions, the front mudguard is to close to the front wheel, so when the tyre clogg up with mud, the front lock up, resulting in some heavy falls. Please take special care before you ride any wet and muddy roads, the bike does not work in these.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

• Grey hound
« Reply #279 on: October 05, 2020, 05:07:30 pm »
I did the Jozi to Kozi trip this past weekend. It was WET with a lot of mud and clay.

Please be aware that the Africa Twin has a serious design flaw in these conditions, the front mudguard is to close to the front wheel, so when the tyre clogg up with mud, the front lock up, resulting in some heavy falls. Please take special care before you ride any wet and muddy roads, the bike does not work in these.

Somewhere on the forum is a mod to lift the mudguard by enough, maybe the high fender mod will also work.  I know leftless did something similar
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidMorrisMedia